Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

My IT department still force us to change our passwords every 90 days despite it being widely accepted that such policies do little other than encourage people to increment a number and/or write it down. 

They also route absolutely all of our traffic through the VPN and when I pointed out it'd massively reduce our bandwidth and improve video conference performance to use split tunnelling and only route traffic to internal resources through the VPN, said they couldn't get it working so they stopped trying, so most of us end up having to disconnect from the VPN for every meeting and turn it back on afterwards.

Bunch of absolute **** amateurs tbh, it kills me. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My IT department still force us to change our passwords every 90 days despite it being widely accepted that such policies do little other than encourage people to increment a number and/or write it down. 

Yeah mine do this. And insist all passwords are different despite us having about 30 systems (although I don’t think they can enforce this)

I write mine down obviously

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m sorry, but I’ve had this password 12 years, I’m not changing it now.

Just change it to password1234

Easy.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

How???

https://www.cyberark.com/resources/blog/considering-passwordless-heres-how-to-do-it

(I'm not in any way affiliated with this vendor.)

While the concept of passwordless authentication has been around for a long time, the market has just recently pivoted to actively using the technology. Passwordless authentication can use any means of validating the user except for a memorized secret. It could be a QR code displayed at login, an SMS message with a one-time code or a physical USB key, among other examples.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Just change it to password1234

Easy.

On our old old system, individual computers held that persons work, so passwords locked access to drawings held on that individual computer.

As a result, if someone was out on site, ill, on holiday or just in a meeting nobody else could access those drawings. So we all had to share our passwords.

Passwords on zip files, that was something one particular Client was keen on. Unique passwords on zips. Chaos was only ever a few days away.

• Haha 1

On 24/01/2024 at 08:43, StefanAVFC said:

Easily my worst ever overbooking at work

image.png.55113cfadc4deef02bfa53f68f601f08.png

That’s my Wednesday every week. Back to back calls from 1 through to 4.30 😭

I just reject any meeting invite sent to me that clashes if they've not had the courtesy to ask if I can reprioritise. Calendars are public, arranging a suitable time is their problem not mine.

My boss thought I was joking when I applied the same rule to him, but he didn't do it again :D

• Like 1

Been said before, but anyone sending a meeting invite between the hours of 12pm and 2pm really piss me off. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

Been said before, but anyone sending a meeting invite between the hours of 12pm and 2pm really piss me off. 

13:00-14:00 is blocked out every working day on mine. Automatic rejection of invites.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Hang on... in addition to all of holiday you seem to get a year, somehow you also get a 2 hour lunch break?

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Hang on... in addition to all of holiday you seem to get a year, somehow you also get a 2 hour lunch break?

I need time to book my holiday :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I went from meetings all day, every day at The Post Office 

So its your fault?! :detect:

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

So its your fault?! :detect:

Completely. When I moved to my latest client my mate whatsapped me "don't **** this one up"

I didn't have anything to do with the last bodge job, I was involved with its replacement. 

• Like 1

Â