Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

We do the same with a lot of stuff, but this was an unworn pair of Jordans (they were slightly tight when he got them and by the time he had a reason to wear them they were too small) and the proceeds were going to my lad so we wanted to get some money for them, for him.

If anyone is interested dm me for the price, and the picture, and the size x

Of Jordan’s what? If it’s her bra I’ll think about it. Could do with a new catapult

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

This should piss me off.

I’ve used my own personal Mac when working at home for the last 3 years, and have had no persistent connection issues. Last Tuesday I was working from home and the work’s virtual desktop was freezing loads, and throwing up loads of random squares and shapes. I asked IT to look at it but they said they’re not allowed to look at personal hardware. I decided to use work’s laptop instead. Ever since then, I’d say at least 3 times a day I’m having “connection lost” issues when working from home. Usually while I’m doing something that the laptop clearly struggles with: sharing my screen on a Teams call, having 3 (three!) excel docs open at the same time. 

I’m 100% blaming works laptop for this. Twice today I have lost connection already. Maybe it’s Storm Isha or whatever her name is. I’ve decided I’m not going back to using my Mac for work. I don’t want their nonsense ruining my Mac.

I can’t believe they allow you to use your own laptop. Maybe in the early weeks of the pandemic but not now? 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t believe they allow you to use your own laptop. Maybe in the early weeks of the pandemic but not now? 

Yeah, we get a VPN + a virtual desktop link to click into and then you’re basically in the works system exactly the same as you would be on the laptop. My last workplace used to let you do that too, between 2018-2020 ish.

I thought that was quite common. I’ve always preferred using my large Mac (desktop, not laptop) screen plus a second screen, over either a laptop + second screen or fiddling about trying to get my laptop to extend to 2 extra screens.

In fact, thinking back to when I joined in 2020. It was a requirement to have your own computer, and they wouldn’t issue company laptops back then (that was during covid tbf, so maybe issuing thousands of laptops was a struggle).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

We do the same with a lot of stuff, but this was an unworn pair of Jordans (they were slightly tight when he got them and by the time he had a reason to wear them they were too small) and the proceeds were going to my lad so we wanted to get some money for them, for him.

If anyone is interested dm me for the price, and the picture, and the size x

These still available?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Yeah, we get a VPN + a virtual desktop link to click into and then you’re basically in the works system exactly the same as you would be on the laptop. My last workplace used to let you do that too, between 2018-2020 ish.

I thought that was quite common. I’ve always preferred using my large Mac (desktop, not laptop) screen plus a second screen, over either a laptop + second screen or fiddling about trying to get my laptop to extend to 2 extra screens.

In fact, thinking back to when I joined in 2020. It was a requirement to have your own computer, and they wouldn’t issue company laptops back then (that was during covid tbf, so maybe issuing thousands of laptops was a struggle).

I can feel @limpid's brain exploding reading this

• Haha 1

Yeah that isn't common at all.

BYOD is reasonably common for a phone, but laptops. I've never heard of it.

Them not issuing laptops is just laziness. When they have a huge cyberattack (like we did) they'll realise they're dumb.

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah that isn't common at all.

BYOD is reasonably common for a phone, but laptops. I've never heard of it.

Them not issuing laptops is just laziness. When they have a huge cyberattack (like we did) they'll realise they're dumb.

At the start of Covid it was almost impossible to source laptops

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

At the start of Covid it was almost impossible to source laptops

This was exactly when they poached 100+ of us who all got made redundant from a different bank, so I give them a bit of leeway there.

I didn’t realise the *option* of allowing you to work from your own machine was that uncommon though. 

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I didn’t realise the *option* of allowing you to work from your own machine was that uncommon though. 

It used to be common but gets more and more uncommon each week, as the companies who continue with that policy get hacked to shreds and go out of business. It's an elegant Darwinian solution :)

• Like 1

I have worked with different clients and they have forced their build laptop on me, some who should have done this haven't. I am working for the NHS for the next few weeks, on my own laptop.

I work from home using my own laptop as well, I don’t think it’s that uncommon.

But then again, I do work for the same company as @Rob182 

I’ve just asked the people sat around me in the office though and they said they’re all allowed to use their own laptops at home too. 

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Someone peeling and eating a massive orange on a packed train. Stunk like the Tropicana factory.

I was tempted to use the classic "Are you taking the pith" joke, but not sure it would have been appreciated. 

That reminds me. I'd love to eat a durian on an Irish train. I know they're not allowed on trains in Japan because they **** stink. But as they're not so common over here I'm sure there are no such restrictions in place :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I always use my own laptop via Citrix. Can't be bothered lumping the work laptop around. 

• Like 1

Google speech to text. They did something about a week and a half ago and it's completely fubarred my results. The VR is taking about 50% of the bookings it did before the event occurred.

It shouldn't piss me off because it's beyond my control but it absolutely does. It feels like three years of refining our machine has gone completely down the shitter

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I can feel @limpid's brain exploding reading this

Our 8k users at work will soon be able to work from anywhere on any device. At least from a technical point of view.

I just wish I could kick the last handful of users off the VPN and my life will be so much easier.

Prepared.

4 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I work from home using my own laptop as well, I don’t think it’s that uncommon.

But then again, I do work for the same company as @Rob182 

I’ve just asked the people sat around me in the office though and they said they’re all allowed to use their own laptops at home too. 

I wouldn't want to use my own laptop for work. Not with my search history.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Our 8k users at work will soon be able to work from anywhere on any device. At least from a technical point of view.

I just wish I could kick the last handful of users off the VPN and my life will be so much easier.

Prepared.

Samesies

Â