Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

The overuse of the word ‘moment’ in football now.

I’m sure it started with the influx of foreign managers and the broken English they’d speak in during the early stages of their time in the UK (understandably of course) but it’s now used by all and sundry.

’So and so are in a good moment currently’ , ‘we had lots of good moments in the game’ - maybe it’s just me this bothers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m sure it started with the influx of foreign managers and the broken English they’d speak in during the early stages of their time in the UK (understandably of course) but it’s now used by all and sundry.

’So and so are in a good moment currently’ , ‘we had lots of good moments in the game’ - maybe it’s just me this bothers.

The worst offender for this is our esteemed previous manager.

58 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

The now almost constant use of phrases like "low block" which was and always has been "sitting deep", the word "funeral" when used in the context of "we are gonna funeral Burnley etc"....

Seems to be everywhere. Just a minor annoyance and not as bad as "litererally" or "my bad", but still irritating.

I am going on a one man crusade to correct the misuse of the word 'literally' anytime I encounter it.

"Low block" is just a term for parking the bus or sitting deep. Nothing wrong with it imo.

It's just a bit more formal so it can be used in more serious discussions. "Parking the bus" is a bit of a jokey phrase.

It's no different than terms such as "high press". Not sure where the issue is

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Have a read of the thread title. 😉

Fair

I've never heard "We're gonna funeral Burnley" (or similar) before. That really would piss me off. Doesn't even make sense

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fair

I've never heard "We're gonna funeral Burnley" (or similar) before. That really would piss me off. Doesn't even make sense

Yep and its variant, "we will give them a right funeralling".

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"Low block" is just a term for parking the bus or sitting deep. Nothing wrong with it imo.

It's just a bit more formal so it can be used in more serious discussions. "Parking the bus" is a bit of a jokey phrase.

It's no different than terms such as "high press". Not sure where the issue is

Also allows you to talk about a mid block as an alternative which is a tactic more commonly used these days. Sitting in middle or parking bus in middle again doesn’t really work. 

There was someone on the radio recently having a grumble about the priority holiday arrangements for people with kids. Basically, she was saying that as she has chosen not to have kids, and her employer prioritises school holidays for people that do have kids, she hasn’t had a holiday in August for 15 years and never will for as long as she works there and other staff are fertile.

But then the kicker for her, was that she then wasn’t allowed to take a long Christmas break, as Christmas is family time, so they get priority leave.

So essentially, she could take any time off she liked as long as it was November or February.

It sounded to me more like a problem with a thick as shit boss to be fair.

Anyhoo, mine have grown up and do their own thing, so we are recent converts to the glories of holidays in May, June, and September.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Been annoying me for years this one has

Edit: and agree entirely with your theory on its origins

Edited by icouldtelltheworld

One of my neighbours does my head in. I see him basically every day and he's a nosey **** and is constantly saying "Just wondering if I could ask you something". Except he doesn't say ask, he say "axe". Has anyone else heard this before? I feel my blood boiling.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

One of my neighbours does my head in. I see him basically every day and he's a nosey **** and is constantly saying "Just wondering if I could ask you something". Except he doesn't say ask, he say "axe". Has anyone else heard this before? I feel my blood boiling.

Don't reply, it's a trap, he's going to come at you with a hatchet and claim you consented.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Anyhoo, mine have grown up and do their own thing, so we are recent converts to the glories of holidays in May, June, and September.

Samesies

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

But who in their right mind, that didn't have kids would want to go on holiday in August? Prices through the feckin roof.

Yeah, that’s just bizarre.

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

I loved the days when my kids were pre-school. We went in so many holidays outside of term time and they were dirt cheap. Great times!

As I said, my wife’s a teacher. I’ve probably got another 30 years of expensive holidays. :(

It was extra incentive for me to book my flights and hotel in Athens in May in the hope Villa get to the final. A little holiday by myself either way.

It was only once I booked it I realised it was in half term. I can’t escape it!

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

As I said, my wife’s a teacher. I’ve probably got another 30 years of expensive holidays. :(

It was extra incentive for me to book my flights and hotel in Athens in May in the hope Villa get to the final. A little holiday by myself either way.

It was only once I booked it I realised it was in half term. I can’t escape it!

Yep I'm in the wife's a teacher club too

Â