Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

We had something similar, but for a kid's ISA, I'd been getting it for 6-7 years, returning it each time with "not known at this address".

A couple of years ago we did that, but covered the envelope in glitter and spelled out "not known at this address" in cat fur and sequins, created a proper monstrosity, and it must have got someone's attention, because it's the last time we got one.

Could also try padding out the envelope and exposing a couple of obvious wires. 

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Idea for TV show- Pensions Reunited, presented by Angela Rippon. Angela goes round the country in a lovely old bullnose morris, surprising baffled pensioners with lost earnings.

Coming soon on the BBC.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Having briefly worked in pension transfers, I found that most private pension funds are utterly shite.

There is a huge lack of education on it. Pensions are 'scary' for people and by the time they reach an age where they are taking an interest in it, its probably too late. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

There is a huge lack of education on it. Pensions are 'scary' for people and by the time they reach an age where they are taking an interest in it, its probably too late. 

I used to be a financial advisor. My clients were people in their twenties. Essentially, the message was, you're going to be shit with money, so embrace it, but let me do sensible things with a little bit for you, and put it where you can't get at it, and you can piss the rest up the wall. 

Most of my job involved metaphorically slapping people until they got the message. The actual advice bit was about 5% of my time. 

Edited by Anthony

When I occasionally talk to people at work, through various companies, all highly qualified, well-educated people in software development, they look at me like I'm the wolf of Wall Street when I mention it's a good idea to change from the default pension investments.

Millions and millions of people in their 20s and 30s are missing out on years of growth having their pension sitting in bonds. There will be no making up for that when they're in their 50s and 60s.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Davkaus said:

When I occasionally talk to people at work, through various companies, all highly qualified, well-educated people in software development, they look at me like I'm the wolf of Wall Street when I mention it's a good idea to change from the default pension investments.

Millions and millions of people in their 20s and 30s are missing out on years of growth having their pension sitting in bonds. There will be no making up for that when they're in their 50s and 60s.

It's not just pensions that people ignore. The number of people in their 30/40s who are married, have kids and big mortgages but don't have wills in place or taken out  health/accident cover, life insurance etc

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Classic from the wife here, this is the reason I suspect there are relatively few women in high power jobs. They say stuff which makes complete sense to them but not anyone else.

The daughter is off school today as she’s not feeling well. 
I go upstairs, wife is working in the spare room, daughter is actually in the bathroom.

Me to daughter after finishing my meeting: “Would you like some dinner doing?”

Wife from behind the spare room door: “I’ve already done it”

Me: “oh ok no problem”, goes back to work.

30 minutes later 

Irate wife: “why didn’t you do her dinner???”

Me: “you said you’d already done it?”

Irate wife: Yes I made it earlier, it’s in the fridge and needed bringing up

Mutters something about needing to do everything herself as she stomped off

:bang:

You've still got time, dinner doesn't need serving for another few hours yet.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Classic from the wife here, this is the reason I suspect there are relatively few women in high power jobs. They say stuff which makes complete sense to them but not anyone else.

The daughter is off school today as she’s not feeling well. 
I go upstairs, wife is working in the spare room, daughter is actually in the bathroom.

Me to daughter after finishing my meeting: “Would you like some dinner doing?”

Wife from behind the spare room door: “I’ve already done it”

Me: “oh ok no problem”, goes back to work.

30 minutes later 

Irate wife: “why didn’t you do her dinner???”

Me: “you said you’d already done it?”

Irate wife: Yes I made it earlier, it’s in the fridge and needed bringing up

Mutters something about needing to do everything herself as she stomped off

:bang:

Maybe the batteries need replacing in your crystal ball 🤷

• Like 1

Talking about people not changing their address. Some years ago working in london, we had a house share. One guy there didn't really fit in. Had separate mates and never went out with any of us. After he left loads of mail still came. Lots of it. Eventually we started to dump it. One day a letter came to me from a solicitor. He said previous chap had been sent a cheque from a relative in the  US for a thousand dollars. What had we done with it. So I called him up and told him about what we did with his mail. And as it was a cheque it would not have been cashed by us. The solicitor was reasonable to us. But as I had him on the phone could be remind his client he owed us 2 seems rent, and would be like me to forward his current address to the numerous debt collecting agencies looking for him.

Never heard from him again and the post dwindled to an odd letter now and again.

34 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I made a big deal how this cereal is too expensive for what it is and how the box is tiny etc etc, but it's actually like wheated heroin.

Now I have to eat it in secret and only when she buys it.

Which cereal? 

I like the Frosted Wheats, which is annoying as places like Aldi and Asda do all the other versions (various fruits) as a cheap own brand but never the frosted ones.

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

On holiday having breakfast by the beach , a family of 4 come down in matching Christmas pyjamas and have a photo taken of themselves by the beach … it’s not quite the holiday is ruined let’s go home but I’m gonna have to spend the rest of the holiday making sure I don’t encounter mr and Mrs Instagram family again 

Look at how AMAZING our Christmas is. Look at how CUTE we are in our matching Christmas outfits. Look at how BEAUTIFUL this beach is. 

Please like whilst you're getting on with your dreary lives. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

On holiday having breakfast by the beach , a family of 4 come down in matching Christmas pyjamas and have a photo taken of themselves by the beach … it’s not quite the holiday is ruined let’s go home but I’m gonna have to spend the rest of the holiday making sure I don’t encounter mr and Mrs Instagram family again 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Look at how AMAZING our Christmas is. Look at how CUTE we are in our matching Christmas outfits. Look at how BEAUTIFUL this beach is. 

Please like whilst you're getting on with your dreary lives. 

On similar ground, I’m gonna write one of those year end resume emails this year that I’ll send out bigging up all my successes and how well my kids have done and what royalty we’ve dined with and the triumph of our skiing holiday and all that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

On similar ground, I’m gonna write one of those year end resume emails this year that I’ll send out bigging up all my successes and how well my kids have done and what royalty we’ve dined with and the triumph of our skiing holiday and all that.

A few weeks ago when my OH asked if we should include some sort of yearly update in our Christmas cards to family and friends, and my response was to why she thought they needed more recycling. I was on the end of the most withering look she could muster, but the idea went in the bin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The school my children go to now has a lockdown protocol which is understandable, the problem is it absolutely terrifies them when it is implemented.

Twice in the last few weeks they believed there was potentially an intruder on site so they kick it off. Lock the doors, push the desks against the door. Lights off and sit in silence under the desks. They naturally fear the worst and it scares them to death.

I understand they need something in place but it does seem a bit extreme for this country where school incidents are incredibly rare.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Â