Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Odd that you think it's embarrassing. 

I wouldn't think twice about it. 

I don't like interacting with my neighbours. I actively avoid them. They're very nosey and like to comment on things which I find passive aggressive and annoying, because they've nothing to better to do them gardening when I couldn't care less. Which means when I've had to go to them to get a parcel it's like a whole body cringe for the entire horrible experience.

I just want to be left alone. I don't comment to them about anything - they do stuff that pisses me off but I don't comment. But I'll get things like

• Right as the pandemic lockdown stuff tailed off they caught me as I was getting into the car and said (after I'd had a food shop delivered earlier that day) 'don't you ever go to a real shop?'(bearing in mind I'm a high risk for COVID)
  • When doing gardening, something I despise so don't do often meaning it gets into a state that I hack back, accosting me and saying 'you need to keep to on top of it' and judging everything in the garden and pointedly marking out all the things I should do

And so on. I don't go in the garden partly because of this. I don't want to hear their comments on things, I don't want to speak to them. I'm good with not being pointedly judged by them, or them looking for family gossip.

I'm not alone in this. If my sister pops in she'll check they're not outside before she leaves, lest they accost her. Her partner avoids helping me with stuff because they'll grab him when he's outside going back and forth to his van. When I got my first car and we backed onto the drive they suddenly had to clean the front door step and that suddenly didn't matter when they'd been able to have a natter about my car. And so on. I avoid them as much as I can.

• Like 1

I've been in that situation countless times. I live in a block of 20 flats and so many deliveries have gone to "a neighbour" without any indication of which one. By trial and error, I've now worked out which is the most likely one as they always grumpily bring things round 4 months later. It's a bit awkward having to go knock on their door now and ask if they might have taken a delivery for me as they make it very clear they don't like being disturbed. All-in-all it's a pain but it's my fault for doing too much online shopping.

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Are you saying Chindie you like gardening?

It's marginally below slamming my hand with a lump hammer on the enjoyment stakes. And I'm really not into pain.

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

A week ago the postman dropped off a parcel for someone down the street from me who apparently wasn't in. This isn't someone I know, as far as I'm aware they basically don't go out (marginally more hermit than me, who only rarely goes out). I've genuinely never seen this person, a fortnight ago I'd have bet decent money the house was empty, and it's always had the atmosphere of wanting to be left alone - high hedge all round, curtains closed, gate closed. So I've got this parcel, just sat in the house, getting in the way, annoying me. I'm not going to deliver it. I guess they might be on holiday, though I doubt it somehow. And if they aren't, it's been a week now and they've not come to get it. I'm not delivering it, I'm not a postman. Just looking at the parcel leant against the door pisses me off. Having to move it pisses me off. I want to put it out of the way somewhere but the thought of the knock and someone I've never met asking for it and me having to disappear and rummidge around to get it pisses me off.

I'm not in a good mood.

Given the subsequent posts, I think you should have probably said no to accepting the delivery.

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Given the subsequent posts, I think you should have probably said no to accepting the delivery.

The thing is I don't usually mind, because within a couple of hours whoever will come get whatever it is. But then it's usually one of the 'nearer' neighbours who I vaguely know. This one is further down the road, who I've literally never seen or heard of, and they just haven't bothered to come get it.

As much as I'm loathe to deliver it I also have this concern that if I was to leave it on the doorstep or whatever I'm technically at fault if it gets nicked/damaged/whatever, so it really needs to be given to someone directly.

It also mildly annoys me that I'm sure it's a jigsaw puzzle.

As said, not in a good mood.

Edited by Chindie

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The thing is I don't usually mind, because within a couple of hours whoever will come get whatever it is. But then it's usually one of the 'nearer' neighbours who I vaguely know. This one is further down the road, who I've literally never seen or heard of, and they just haven't bothered to come get it.

Does this make it easier for you to drop off, theoretically? Obviously you posted earlier about how much you dislike the neighbours you do know, but this is an unknown entity. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Does this make it easier for you to drop off, theoretically? Obviously you posted earlier about how much you dislike the neighbours you do know, but this is an unknown entity. 

Potentially. But the dropping off thing is more a matter of principle.

Edited by Chindie

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

From OP, sounds like it's a hermit-off.  One party not socially comfortable enough to pass on the mis-delivered parcel, the other party not socially comfortable enough to collect their missing parcel.

I agree but @Chindie hasn't yet confirmed they know for certain the neighbour knows where the parcel is which, short of the neighbour knocking on every local door and asking 'do you have my parcel?', they can't even collect it.

It seems like more time has been spent on this discussion than just popping the parcel to it's rightful destination.

4 minutes ago, brommy said:

I agree but @Chindie hasn't yet confirmed they know for certain the neighbour knows where the parcel is which, short of the neighbour knocking on every local door and asking 'do you have my parcel?', they can't even collect it.

It seems like more time has been spent on this discussion than just popping the parcel to it's rightful destination.

I've no idea if they've been told which neighbour has it, but every time this has happened to me they tell you which number has it, so I'd assume so.

As for delivering it, I'm not a postman. I'm not delivering strangers their post. I'll take in someone's post if they're unavailable, but delivering it is a step too far. I'm not their servant, and I'm not being paid to deliver it, I don't owe them a favour and I'm not inclined to do anything for them when they can come get it. I wouldn't expect anyone to bring my parcel to me, if it's my parcel it's my problem.

I am finding this very, very funny. Days of absolutely seething instead of sucking it up and just dropping off the **** parcel and never thinking about it again.

But I've absolutely spent much longer stewing over much less. :D 

• Like 3

Was given another car to use today as they needed mine for a demo for a customer. On my way back and I noticed the Ad-Blue light on, 100 mile to empty, so had to buy some from a the fuel station, usually just get it from whatever dealer I'm at. Well I was shocked to find it's £30 now for 10 litres, If I have to pay at a random dealer they charge 85p a litre, what a absolute rip off it's only pig piss!!

Â