Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Creeping Americanization (fnar) in common use of British English.

Lots of people now using 'skeptic' instead of the British 'sceptic' and 'adviser' instead of the British 'advisor'.

What Really Grinds My Gears — 212 Health & Performance

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

The celebrity endorsement which most shocks and saddens me is Ant and Dec with online gambling. How much money do they need? 

The worst one was Simon Cowell (who must be close to being a billionaire) telling people about the Barclaycard repayment calculator, and that paying a bit more off a month will save you money on interest.

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Lots of people now using 'skeptic' instead of the British 'sceptic' and 'adviser' instead of the British 'advisor'.

What Really Grinds My Gears — 212 Health & Performance

It’s a genuine problem, it’s like once somebody starts with the Americanisation, it’s like s faucet has been turned on.

• Haha 1

Why do we, well others, not me, have a problem with american words entering the language but not Greek, Latin or French. Not a dig @darrenm as you aren’t alone @mjmooney in particular hates it. My question is why the British are so offended by americanisation but not from other languages. 

Just now, Seat68 said:

Why do we, well others, not me, have a problem with american words entering the language but not Greek, Latin or French. Not a dig @darrenm as you aren’t alone @mjmooney in particular hates it. My question is why the British are so offended by americanisation but not from other languages. 

It's why it's in here ;) 

'Your' / 'you're' and 'have' / 'of' winds me up too. It really shouldn't. Language evolves. If it didn't we'd all be speaking Old English.

It's probably a bit of snobbery in all honesty. 'I can make the effort to get the table etiquette correct, why can't you?'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

It's why it's in here ;) 

'Your' / 'you're' and 'have' / 'of' winds me up too. It really shouldn't. Language evolves. If it didn't we'd all be speaking Old English.

It's probably a bit of snobbery in all honesty. 'I can make the effort to get the table etiquette correct, why can't you?'

Its totally valid to be here. My wife gets apoplectic if someone uses an american term in conversation but nothing if other nations words are used. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Its totally valid to be here. My wife gets apoplectic if someone uses an american term in conversation but nothing if other nations words are used. 

But how can she tell whether someone says favorite or favourite?

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My question is why the British are so offended by americanisation but not from other languages. 

You want to have a look at arguments between the French and French Canadians on French grammar. The Canadians insist their version of French is more "pure" and to be fair they have a point.

But back to your point, a lot of Americanisms aren't at all. Soccer as we all know is as British as you can get, as is the use of Fall instead of Autumn

Faucet is English too as it happens

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think it’s possibly because something like “en-suite” is unashamedly French. 

But an American term like “can I get...” rather than “can I have...” it’s a bit more covert in it’s use. It’s more of a corruption of what we already say. 

As it happens I recently looked up the US “I could care less” phrase (as opposed to our “I couldn’t care less”). I saw a suggestion that the phrase originally was “I could care less...but I’m not sure how”.  Which at least makes some sense. 

Similarly, a new(ish) one that’s slightly bothersome can be seen in this tweet, “this pass was a joke”. Now I understand this. This isn’t a million miles from “taking the piss”. And yes, I know languages evolve. But referring to something as “a joke”, to me will always be interpreted as something that is substandard.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Similarly, a new(ish) one that’s slightly bothersome can be seen in this tweet, “this pass was a joke”. Now I understand this. This isn’t a million miles from “taking this piss”. And yes, I know languages evolve. But referring to something as “a joke”, to me will always be interpreted as something that is substandard.

Now that one is very stupid and worthy of criticism on the grounds that its just wrong. Joke cannot equate to sublime

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

I know what you mean ...  I've been been in Canada for the last 34 years ...  British, Canadian and US English spellings start to get mixed up. Plus MS Word's spellchecker I can't seem to get rid of US version. But I have sympathy for skeptic; the problem with sceptic, it can seem awfully close to septic ... especially when one consider words like science, scene, scent and sceptre. (sceptre is showing up as a misspelt word).

But what pisses me off is people's reluctance to move to the metric system. When I go to the UK it seems to be going backwards.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I know what you mean ...  I've been been in Canada for the last 34 years ...  British, Canadian and US English spellings start to get mixed up. Plus MS Word's spellchecker I can't seem to get rid of US version. But I for have sympathy for skeptic; the problem with sceptic, it can seem awfully close to septic ... especially when one consider words like science, scene, scent and sceptre. (sceptre is showing up as a misspelt word).

But what pisses me off is people's reluctance to move to the metric system. When I go to the UK it seems to be going backwards.

We are a mish mash with imperial and metric. We measure liquids in ml and litres but sometimes will use pounds and sometimes kg. As for kilometres, can never see that being adopted. 

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

We are a mish mash with imperial and metric. We measure liquids in ml and litres but sometimes will use pounds and sometimes kg. As for kilometres, can never see that being adopted. 

Yeah the good ol' Brexit spirit still lives. :)

Is a pint now 0.5 L?

Edited by fruitvilla

14 hours ago, bickster said:

You want to have a look at arguments between the French and French Canadians on French grammar. The Canadians insist their version of French is more "pure" and to be fair they have a point.

That's my experience there too, they speak olde French rather than the French that is spoken in France, the slang and evolution of the language due to cultural changes and immigration is completely different 

They also don't understand a black country accent the bastards 

• Haha 1

Â