Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

25 minutes ago, limpid said:

Bosses who think people can only get well overnight :mrgreen: 

I thought the same. Although if it had been me I think it would have been diplomatic to miss the social. 

• Like 4

Also to add. He called in sick to a shift ending at 23, leaving a new joiner alone. Then turned up at the party at 23:30. 

He won't have anything from me, no disciplinary or whatever but I feel entitled for it to piss me off. 

If you aren't well enough to work until 23:00 then you aren't well enough to attend a party 30 mins later! The person was monumentally taking the piss and if I was their boss i'd want answers on Monday and if it wasn't satisfactory i'd be tearing them a new one. Saying that. that's probably why I don't aspire to be a people manager!

As @mjmooney said, if you're pulling a sickie at least have the gumption to give the shindig after work a swerve. 

17 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Also to add. He called in sick to a shift ending at 23, leaving a new joiner alone. Then turned up at the party at 23:30. 

He won't have anything from me, no disciplinary or whatever but I feel entitled for it to piss me off. 

That would be a disclinary in our place.

Clearly he was “better” much earlier than the end of his shift and could have come in to complete the remainder of his shift as he was well enough to be drinking alcohol 30 mins after the shift ended and turned up to a work related social event

Reminds me of my mates labourer a couple of years ago. It was a Friday afternoon, and the roof needed loading out with the tiles before they went. The young lad said his back was hurting him, and he couldn't load out, so went and sat in the van. My mate and this other young lad started loading out. As soon as the lad in the van knew they were going to the pub when it was done, he got back out  half way through, and helped them finish it. My mate got rid of him Monday morning. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

17 hours ago, Xela said:

If you aren't well enough to work until 23:00 then you aren't well enough to attend a party 30 mins later! The person was monumentally taking the piss and if I was their boss i'd want answers on Monday and if it wasn't satisfactory i'd be tearing them a new one. Saying that. that's probably why I don't aspire to be a people manager!

As @mjmooney said, if you're pulling a sickie at least have the gumption to give the shindig after work a swerve. 

I’d be having a word.

44 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I wouldn't give a shit, it's really not that important and most jobs are utterly pointless such that if they disappeared over night no one would give a flying ****.

Exactly. If it makes Managers feel important about themselves then so be it but literally no one should care about a sickie unless it’s a monthly thing. Companies are faceless wealth manufacturers for faceless wealthy people. Our menial jobs literally pay the bills, if another job came with more money we move on. The wheels keep turning. Don’t take it so seriously. 

• Like 1

Nah, in my experience the only people who have taken blatantly obvious sickies are words removed.  They have many more word removedy attributes as well, mind you.  It's more the fact that someone has to cover for you that annoys me, I just think it's not on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Nah, in my experience the only people who have taken blatantly obvious sickies are words removed.  They have many more word removedy attributes as well, mind you.  It's more the fact that someone has to cover for you that annoys me, I just think it's not on.

Yep, it's stupidly selfish. Regardless of cynical you think about how all companies are faceless factories of wealth, we do still need to do the work and if somebody pulls a sickie, leaves us in the shit, then turns up to a party later on, then it's taking the piss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Exactly. If it makes Managers feel important about themselves then so be it but literally no one should care about a sickie unless it’s a monthly thing. Companies are faceless wealth manufacturers for faceless wealthy people. Our menial jobs literally pay the bills, if another job came with more money we move on. The wheels keep turning. Don’t take it so seriously. 

turning up to the work party on the day of your sickie is a big **** you to the manager, in this case Stefan.

If you keep your head down and it’s once in a blue moon when it’s quiet, fine.

Making your colleagues have a shit day catching up for you and then turning up to a party where some of those staff and your manager are is a word removed move.

Edited by a m ole

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

turning up to the work party on the day of your sickie is a big **** you to the manager, in this case Stefan.

If you keep your head down and it’s once in a blue moon when it’s quiet, fine.

Making your colleagues have a shit day catching up for you and then turning up to a party where some of those staff and your manager are is a word removed move.

Haha, settle down chap. Yeah turning up to the party was an error for sure but in the grand scheme of things, life, the world, who gives a ****?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I generally have never been motivated to care, if people want to go off sick and play that particular game then so be it. I currently manage a team of people myself, but the company isn't mine and the salaries they are paid is not my money, so I could not give a single **** about people going off sick. 

Someone calling in sick and then attending a later party is of course bad form, but I'm not childish enough to see it as a piss take to myself, it's really not worth a shred of emotion. I'd not take the same view if it were my company however LOL

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â