Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

5 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I got rid of Facebook years and years ago and the longer I live the better I feel for it.  Facebook is someone else's battle to lose and the more people who ditch it the better the world will be.  You would not follow these people in real life so I don't see the attraction in following blokes around in any form social media or at a shopping centre, it's just weird IMO.  

Same. I was wasting too much time on it. 

Now I just waste my time here :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Stuck their arm out. They were intending to cross the road at a zebra crossing. But they stuck their arm out a good 5 yards before they got there.

To be fair it worked. But it annoyed me.

Indications are it could be the next big "Thing".

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

Same. I was wasting too much time on it. 

Now I just waste my time here :D

Now, now.  Less of that,  if we were not all on or in "Off Topic" everyday then the world be be all wrong.  We,  the collective, the hive mind that is "Off Topic" power the world and each other through some terrible time's.  For, [INSERT STRONG MESSAGE HERE] it has always been thus & the world was righted.  

6 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

My own inability to pull up idiots, who post ridiculous right wing shit on social media. I see friends (I say friends, it's mostly people I went to school with, or worked with years ago) and even family posting the usual, "share and like if you think this is a disgrace" stuff, and I just let it slide. It seems pointless trying to argue with someone who would blindly believe the stuff that gets posted, and (certainly in the case of family) it makes me uncomfortable pointing out that people are idiots to their face. I think I'm just going to have to do a massive unfollow cull.  

Whilst I generally stop following these kinds of people, I wonder if that's part of the problem as no doubt their news feeds are just full of this shit so it reinforces what they think.  I bet a large chunk of their views are based on what they read on Facebook rather than by reading a variety of news sources and making a judgment, so perhaps arguing would be better.  What I hate most is there is one of my friends who seems to hold two contradictory views at the same time especially regarding immigration and refugees.  I think she's just thick as pig shit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Whilst I generally stop following these kinds of people, I wonder if that's part of the problem as no doubt their news feeds are just full of this shit so it reinforces what they think.  I bet a large chunk of their views are based on what they read on Facebook rather than by reading a variety of news sources and making a judgment, so perhaps arguing would be better.  What I hate most is there is one of my friends who seems to hold two contradictory views at the same time especially regarding immigration and refugees.  I think she's just thick as pig shit.

It's a maths thing as well I suppose ?,  You can block 1 person but if they have x fiends and they have Y friends and so on.  It goes worldwide instantly anyway so I just seems there is a tidal wave of rubbish and a million people blocking stuff would still not dent it.  Social media is a little stage for everyone I suppose,  how one uses this small stage is up to them but some of it,  there is no need. 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Never been anywhere near facebook.

I've only got two friends, and I made them from balloons, a couple of old hoodies and some stolen hair.

I think they talk about me when I'm out. 

Been there,  done that.  They always let themselves down in the end,  you will end up alone holding a handful of the very precious stolen hair looking at yourself in a mirror tutting.  

Or it might be OK.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Never been anywhere near facebook.

I've only got two friends, and I made them from balloons, a couple of old hoodies and some stolen hair.

I think they talk about me when I'm out. 

They're planning to kill you

Pre-emptive strike needed 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

They're planning to kill you

Pre-emptive strike needed 

I **** knew it. Absolutely **** knew it.

I was saying it over and over on the bus, but I couldn't catch anyone's eye.

This ends tonight.

• Like 1

Avoiding FB because you've stupidly 'friended' some arseholes is like not using telephones or the post because you've given your address and phone number to marketers or Britain First. 

The difference is that filtering is much easier on FB. I find it pretty much essential for communication - serious or frivolous - with family and (actual, real world) friends. Plus a few 'strangers' around the world with whom I share enthusiasms and sympathies. 

I really don't get the antipathy to the medium, when the problem is merely the message(s). 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Avoiding FB because you've stupidly 'friended' some arseholes is like not using telephones or the post because you've given your address and phone number to marketers or Britain First. 

The difference is that filtering is much easier on FB. I find it pretty much essential for communication - serious or frivolous - with family and (actual, real world) friends. Plus a few 'strangers' around the world with whom I share enthusiasms and sympathies. 

I really don't get the antipathy to the medium, when the problem is merely the message(s). 

FB always reminds me of that Tony Hancock line out of The Radio Ham.

"This radio lark's a wonderful hobby, y'know. I've got friends all over the world, all over the world . . . none in this country, but friends all over the world."

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

FB always reminds me of that Tony Hancock line out of The Radio Ham.

"This radio lark's a wonderful hobby, y'know. I've got friends all over the world, all over the world . . . none in this country, but friends all over the world."

Well, that's the stereotype, isn't it? The sad loner who sits in a room all night on social media, with thousands of online 'friends' and no real ones. 

Maybe it's a generational thing, but it's not my experience. It's true that I have a number of FB friends that I'll probably never meet In Real Life. But I regard that as a good thing - especially when they are from different countries and/or cultures. The rest, and by far the majority, are old (rw) friends, ex-colleagues, and family. I use it pretty much the same way I do VT - music threads for videos, political discussion, reading tips, jokes, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Well, that's the stereotype, isn't it? The sad loner who sits in a room all night on social media, with thousands of online 'friends' and no real ones. 

Maybe it's a generational thing, but it's not my experience. It's true that I have a number of FB friends that I'll probably never meet In Real Life. But I regard that as a good thing - especially when they are from different countries and/or cultures. The rest, and by far the majority, are old (rw) friends, ex-colleagues, and family. I use it pretty much the same way I do VT - music threads for videos, political discussion, reading tips, jokes, etc. 

To be sure it was only a joke and aren't we all castaways on a lonely shore, all in need of a Wilson!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I get you Jon but it must feel a bit like a fight you can't win.

It probably is sadly. Just had to defriend someone just now who was basically just right wing angry in defence on Trumpton.  So I think I'm back to a fairly healthy friend list  ....

• Like 1

I've lived in Germany, Holland and Canada, and within England I've lived in Surrey, St Albans, Stratford-upon-Avon, Birmingham, Cheshire, Manchester and Lancashire.  I've met some wonderful people over the years, many of whom have themselves moved on to far-flung places like Cape Town, LA, Nottingham ;)

Without FB, I'd have lost contact with lots of people who I really like.  It would just be impossible to keep up with their lives if I was reliant on email, phone calls or worse - letters.

• Like 4

"I'm so sick of reading xxxx on Facebook!"

"I'm so sick of reading xxxx on Twitter!"

Yeah, because there's literally no way of filtering what you look at and from who is there?

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

"I'm so sick of reading xxxx on Facebook!"

"I'm so sick of reading xxxx on Twitter!"

Yeah, because there's literally no way of filtering what you look at and from who is there?

This is true, but as an example, I have an Uncle who I love dearly, but he isn't that clued up when it comes to politics (which is my way of saying he's not a bleeding heart leftie, like me). If I block him, I don't get to interact with him, regarding all the things I like about him.

Edited by dAVe80

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

This is true, but as an example, I have an Uncle who I love dearly, but he isn't that clued up when it comes to politics (which is my way of saying he's not a bleeding heart leftie, like me). If I block him, I don't get to interact with him, regarding all the things I like about him.

But if you lived next door to him instead of using FB, you'd still have that problem. It's a people issue, not a social media issue. 

Â