Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

People over the age of twelve going completely offline for several days so as to avoid Star Wars spoilers. FFS.

Got to say, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Well, not completely off line, but I'm going to avoid social media. You may not understand the appeal, but Star Wars was my world, for a large part of my childhood. The nostalgia plays a big part in why I'm looking forward to it so much. To have an opportunity to capture some of that wonder again is going to be fantastic, and as such I want to avoid anyone telling me what happens. It's pretty much going to be like that episode of The Likely Lads, where they try not to find out the score of the England game, so they can watch the highlights. I just hope the film doesn't get replaced by figure skating.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

Got to say, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Well, not completely off line, but I'm going to avoid social media. You may not understand the appeal, but Star Wars was my world, for a large part of my childhood. The nostalgia plays a big part in why I'm looking forward to it so much. To have an opportunity to capture some of that wonder again is going to be fantastic, and as such I want to avoid anyone telling me what happens. It's pretty much going to be like that episode of The Likely Lads, where they try not to find out the score of the England game, so they can watch the highlights. I just hope the film doesn't get replaced by figure skating.  

Great episode.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

This. Exactly this in fact, as I was only talking today about that episode of the Likely Lads in relation to avoiding the SW spoilers.

If I can make it through to Sunday AM without some **** spoiling it i'll be amazed.

• Like 1

This. Exactly this in fact, as I was only talking today about that episode of the Likely Lads in relation to avoiding the SW spoilers.

If I can make it through to Sunday AM without some **** spoiling it i'll be amazed.

I'm gonna turn up your door and ruin the ending because I already know that Spock dies and the Vulcans takeover the planet and it turns out it was earth after all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

People over the age of twelve going completely offline for several days so as to avoid Star Wars spoilers. FFS.

Agreed.  I'll probably watch it,  at some point,  though the missus won't be interested.  Not that bothered though,  I have to say,  and yet back when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s I was massively into star wars.  Grown out of it I guess. 

• Like 2

I'm not in the 'Star Wars is rubbish' camp. If you get enjoyment from american space cowboy films for children that are really only vehicles to push merchandise that's your prerogative. 

The bit that boils my piss is the wall to wall advertising of it - even across the BBC. Ten minutes on radio 4 this morning with grumpy John Humphrys clearly feeling awkward about being asked to partake in 'journalism' that was actually just a Lucas Industries puff piece.

Even if I liked that stuff (and we all like stuff others find dumb), the tsunami of hype would cause me to resist what is, ironically, becoming an all consuming all pervading evil empire of plastic shit.

• Like 4

I'm not saying it's rubbish. I'll probably watch it at some point. But it's a kids' film, a bit of disposable entertainment. I don't get all this infantile behaviour from adults.

• Like 1

Well I'm dressing up like Han Solo, and I'm going to buy all the plastic toys, and I'm going to act like I'm 5 again, and I'll probably cry, and it's going to be wonderful.

Edited by dAVe80

57 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not saying it's rubbish. I'll probably watch it at some point. But it's a kids' film, a bit of disposable entertainment. I don't get all this infantile behaviour from adults.

Exactly, it'll get watched. I might even go to the cinema - after a few weeks, when the screenings are near empty - but I feel embarrassed for grown men camping outside ticket offices and dressing up in costumes. Just seems tragic to me, but whatever floats people's boats I guess.

Tourists drinking Murphy's in a Dublin pub ......you know who you are 

Out of interest, what's wrong with that? (I haven't been to Dublin since I was about 14, BTW).

Kidults

Tourists drinking Murphy's in a Dublin pub ......you know who you are 

Out of interest, what's wrong with that? (I haven't been to Dublin since I was about 14, BTW).

Probably pisses him off the fact that it's not him doing it :)

Â