Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I have a rule with headphones, I work in West Brom and walk from Sandwell train station, I wear them on the way to work as I believe the West Brom ne'er do wells will still be in bed, but not on the way to the station as I feel I will be jumped for my bottom of the range 5 quid headphones.

Headphone wearing lycra warriors are the worst in my book. How on earth can you feel safe riding a bike around a busy city whilst wearing headphones 

Full kit rocket polisher cyclists are a massive peeve of mine...

• Like 1

Climate change denier Rupert Murdoch just bought National Geographic, which gives grants to scientists.

Well, that is news that pisses me off. 

Climate change denier Rupert Murdoch just bought National Geographic, which gives grants to scientists.

Well, that is news that pisses me off. 

Maybe he has read Andrew Carnegie’s " Gospel of Wealth" and has suddenly decided to distribute his wealth to do good…..tongue firmly in cheek.

Re: cheat days, I would be cautious. I'm currently trying to change my diet and lifestyle as a matter of urgency after a medical diagnosis. At first, I thought it would work best if I had a 'cheat day', but what I found was that I would eat more than I needed to to feel full and would then wake up the next day hungrier. What's more, it always felt like a burden to return to my lunch of salad and water, and I ended up resenting my diet for the rest of the week. My current strategy is to eat white meats - and even some red meat - in moderation. I also aim not to eat chocolate or other reward food, but don't berate myself if I end up in a situation eating something like that. It seems to me though that budgeting a day for reward food encourages you to view it as a prize. 

On a related note, I've recently read a psychological study which suggested that dividing food into two camps, good=healthy and bad=unhealthy, simply increases both desire for the food labelled 'bad' and also shame after giving in to temptation. I've come to the conclusion, for me anyway, that the best diet is the healthiest one that you can reasonably expect to stick to without hating food, yourself, or everything else. 

I think the main problem is that it definitely is a psychological battle.

So-called 'treat' foods are often handed out as rewards or become associated with family celebration/happiness and so they ultimately take on powerful symbolic meaning of reward or family feeling.

I know a lot of what I would call 'food-centred' relationships, where sharing treat food is used to celebrate and confirm the bond.

When trying to lose weight I think all these things need to be looked at.

Yes, totally agree. The last couple of months has been a process of trying to understand my psychological relationship with food. Some difficult home truths have had to be acknowledged, but hopefully understanding it a bit better will help me in the future. But yes, I certainly do associate some foods with 'reward' and others with 'freedom' and so on. Difficult pattern to break. 

I just see it as a case of two competing dialogues in the head.

One dialogue goes, 'Why did you eat that for you know it will make you fat and ruin your health'.

The other goes, 'But you were good and you never have much fun and you deserve it'.

I don't think it is wise to try to silence either dialogue.

The first one is true and if you totally remove your rewards, you can end up being miserable which will end in binging.

Having one of those weeks were you have a difficult fractious day, people getting irritated and the annoyance in yourself building, but you leave having cleared the slate and you get home and plonk yourself down and have a big sigh and chill. 

And then you come in the next day to discover a whole new drama that's getting people upset and adds new wrinkles to the whole difficult situation and the whole thing starts again...

Don't worry mate, only another 40 years of it until retirement 

Back to diets. I find that running very, very hard makes me not crave sugar. A simple jog or bimble and I'm after the chocolate though.

But yeah, fully agree with the above about not classifying stuff as treats or not. Just know how much of each thing you can have per week and restrict yourself on it. If I have a bad day with bad foods I'll ensure I have a good day the day after.

I also find that a moment of indecision when being offered bad food you know you shouldn't have is all it takes. If you stay steadfast and refuse with absolutely no hesitation, you're fine and you know you can easily refuse the cakes or sweets next time. Once you start to wobble slightly, it's over and you'll be stuffing your face for the rest of the day/week/period of time until you pull it back around.

the Murdoch change is a weird one as he used to be big on environmental stuff

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/has-rupert-murdoch-turned-into-a-climate-change-sceptic-8448688.html

Inspired by his mother, Dame Elisabeth – one of Australia’s most famous gardeners and a fierce climate change campaigner, who died in December aged 103 – he oversaw attempts to reduce the carbon footprint of News Corp’s global operations. The company still boasts on its website about “minimising its environmental impact, growing sustainably and inspiring others to take action”.
Edited by tonyh29

That Car Insurance has got so bad that I'm pleased after having called up to cancel my renewal and ended up getting a massive discount that leaves me only paying out an extra tenner per month.

I'm really being rewarded for gaining an extra year of driving experience and No Claims Bonus.

Headphone wearing lycra warriors are the worst in my book. How on earth can you feel safe riding a bike around a busy city whilst wearing headphones 

Why is that?

Why is that?

Because they look like knobs in the same way a grown man in a full football kit would. Taking yourself super seriously in full lycras is one thing but a lot cyclists seem to want to dress up like Bradley Wiggins in the full Team Sky (or whoever) kit, covered in sponsors.

EDIT: quotes are ****. Replying to Veloman's post.

Actually, scratch that. Just Tapatalk being crap.

Edited by JB
  • Like 1

Â