Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

We had parents take their kids to pakistan for like a month in term time.

THAT took the piss.

As I said, you can see that that's not a good thing, I mean, kids are off school for a total of what 2 1/2 months a year in total?  Plus another month? that's 1/10th of their school year gone! :lol:

But I think things like Skiing holidays, trips to cities or things like Egypt should be encouraged for 1 or 2 weeks of the year. 

Life experiences and travel are some of the most eye opening things children should experience, as well as school work.

My mom (advanced level teaching assistant) has just come back from a 1 week residential trip for her year 2's.  They made bases (triangle shaped dens, like bear grylls) and team work/building exercises.  None of it particularly educational from a books/numbers stand point, but she came back saying how many practical skills the kids learn from actually doing things and figuring things out as a result of an out of class room experience.

I'm not talking about 2 weeks in 30c heat with a swimming pool. :)

Met my dad at 5 yesterday he gave me the car because he was going for a few drinks with the work crowd. Went home had a bite, shower and headed to the girlfriends house. Left there at about 11:10pm on the way home and mom asks me can I pick up my dad and get milk in the local shop, I agree to collect my dad but tell her it's gone 11 so the shop will be closed, she goes ok look I'll go down for it first thing in the morning just get your dad. I pull in ring my dad tell him I'll be down for him in 2mins be outside the door, I go into town to pick him up, no sign of him, so I go up the road to turn the car, pull in ring him and tell him come on, I'm now parked across the road, he comes out and rings me and goes where are you, there I am starring at him, so he gets in.

Anyway, he goes you got the milk ya, I said no the shop was closed, mom will get it in the morning, he goes **** sake, come on go over to Tesco and I'll get the milk. So the only open Tesco is completely on the other side of town and about a ten minute drive from our house, we go over to tesco, I tell him I've no cash, he goes he's got cash, I park up and say give me the money so & I'll go in, he's adamant that he's going in, so I just say grand and leave him off. About ten minutes later he comes out into the car, we're on the road home and he goes, "sure we had milk didn't we?". I explain the whole point of the trip was to get milk, he had bought bread and fabric softener so we had to turn around and go back to Tesco for Milk. Finally got in at 00:12.  :bang:

The only things that have been spoiled by the series is that I know what Tyrion looks like (even though the image in my head is completely different) and I know what Arya and Daenerys look like.

I know there is something about a red wedding but don't know what happens there, I think I've done well to avoid any more spoilers than that.

But you've finished the 3rd book? Or do you mean the first part of the 3rd book?

just finished the first part of the 3rd book, I've just started another one so I'll be starting 3 part two in a few days

pisses me off the way its part one and two it gets really confusing when you are trying to explain how far through it you are.

I've just finished the 4th book, no not the 4th book, I've read 4 books but I'm just starting the 4th book because I've just finished the second part of the 3rd book which means I'm about to start the 5th book which is actually the 4th

The primary school my kids attend takes a common sense approach.  You're allowed two weeks out of term time that you're allowed to take them away for, before they start getting sniffy.  Last time we did, they got to see the Grand Canyon and Valley of Fire in the US, which I think will have been worthwhile.

• Like 1

Most schools will use common sense. But when parents start taking the piss out of that common sense then schools crack down on it.

My old school cracked down because kids were going to Pakistan for a month at a time (in term time)

Most schools will use common sense. But when parents start taking the piss out of that common sense then schools crack down on it.

My old school cracked down because kids were going to Pakistan for a month at a time (in term time)

I hope that's the case.

Can't wait to take my tyke to some interesting places :)

A good mate of mine of 40 plus years' standing has oesophagal cancer. They've hammered it with chemo, and reckoned there was a good chance of success with surgery. He went in for that yesterday - and they discovered the cancer had spread to his stomach, and called it off. Dunno how he and his missus are coping, but I feel proper down right now. As we seem to keep saying on here, **** ing cancer.

My Dad died before my first birthday from oesophagal cancer, its a bastard because it can be too late before you start showing symptoms and by which time it has already had chance to spread.

Is it a smokers cancer?

I don't know anything about it, but throat cancer seems more prevalent in smokers I guess.

I imagine smoking does increase chances (not sure either) but my Dad died at 32 and was a pretty fit & healthy non smoker. I'm now just older than he was which felt a bit weird to think about as I reached the same age.

My grandad died of oesophageal cancer.

He was a smoker (pipe), but like any cancer I think it's a lottery.

Smoking increases your chances but it can affect anybody.

I think it's probably just more diagnosed.

I think years ago people would just die of "natural causes" or "old age" when it was probably cancer.

• Like 1

Is cancer affecting more people now, or is that we just identify it more easily now-a-days?

Every person I know has had someone die of it, it really gets me down.

I actually haven't had anyone die of it, I've obviously heard about friends relatives who have had it and stuff bit I don't think I actually know anyone xwho has had it let alone died of it

Is cancer affecting more people now, or is that we just identify it more easily now-a-days?

Every person I know has had someone die of it, it really gets me down.

I actually haven't had anyone die of it, I've obviously heard about friends relatives who have had it and stuff bit I don't think I actually know anyone xwho has had it let alone died of it

You're extremely lucky there leemond. Without exaggeration, if I think through my friends and family there's practically no-one I know who hasn't been affected by it, or had someone very close to them affected by it.

Cancer, what a word removed.

Genuine question here, do those untouched tribes hidden away suffer from cancer or not?

Or is it that they don't live long enough to get it because something else treatable in the modern world gets to them first?

I genuinely believe its all the pollution and random shit in nearly everything we eat (additives/preservatives etc)  that causes so much of it.

I believe it's fairly common during autopsies that they find cancer inside people who died from other things, it just never got detected in their lifetime or never gave them any symptoms. As people are living longer and treatment for other things has improved, it's sadly inevitable that more people will suffer from it instead. Thankfully treatment is getting better all the time so people get diagnosed earlier, people are living longer with it, sometimes almost as a chronic ailment that can be kept in check for years. Sadly, at the same time, there is nothing that can be done for some people, cutting down great people in their prime. Whoever finds the cure will be the greatest human being ever.

Genuine question here, do those untouched tribes hidden away suffer from cancer or not?

Or is it that they don't live long enough to get it because something else treatable in the modern world gets to them first?

I genuinely believe its all the pollution and random shit in nearly everything we eat (additives/preservatives etc)  that causes so much of it.

I imagine they get it. But if they're untouched we'd obviously never know about it.

Â