Where will we finish ?

19th.

Don't be so pessimistic!

18th.

Joking aside mate, you're optimistic when it comes to Villa.  Certainly more than I am.  Where do you think we'll finish?

(This isn't a trap by the way, I'm just interested).

Edited by NurembergVillan

19th.

Don't be so pessimistic!

18th.

Joking aside mate, you're optimistic when it comes to Villa.  Certainly more than I am.  Where do you think we'll finish?

(This isn't a trap by the way, I'm just interested).

God knows. 17th?

Latest Monte Carlo

9th: 1.1%

10th: 5.9%

11th: 11.5%

^^^ upper quartile

12th: 17.5%

13th: 23.2% <=== median

14th: 21.1%

vvv lower quartile

15th: 10.6%

16th: 5.2%

17th: 2.3%

18th: 1.1%

19th: 0.4%

20th: 0.1%

Latest Monte Carlo

9th: 1.1%

10th: 5.9%

11th: 11.5%

^^^ upper quartile

12th: 17.5%

13th: 23.2% <=== median

14th: 21.1%

vvv lower quartile

15th: 10.6%

16th: 5.2%

17th: 2.3%

18th: 1.1%

19th: 0.4%

20th: 0.1%

So is this equivalent to your post on 27 December that gave relegation possibility at over 12%? This now seems to have fallen to 1.6%. Hard to believe that a draw at home to a mid-table side and a win away to the bottom club could change things that significantly. 

(However, my comments should be read in the context that I have no idea what a "Monte Carlo" is!  :) )

I'd have to go back to the projected scores, but the model probably projected an expectation of around 2 points from our Swansea and Sunderland games, so doing 2 points better than expected (and it slightly increases the expectations for remaining games).

Combine that with the bottom five having winnable games and not being able to capitalize:

Sunderland: draws with Cardiff (a), loses to Villa (h)

West Ham: draws with WBA (h), loses to Fulham (a)

Palace: draws with Norwich (h)

Cardiff: draws with Sunderland (h)

Fulham: loses to Hull (a), beats West Ham (h)

All of them underperformed what would be a reasonable expectation, so Villa effectively got an extra 2-4 points on all of them over the two games.

And that Monte Carlo thingy can't take into account injuries or more pertinently players returning from injury, so hopefully we'll be out-performing it for a bit.

Latest Monte Carlo9th: 1.1%10th: 5.9%11th: 11.5%^^^ upper quartile12th: 17.5%13th: 23.2% <=== median14th: 21.1%vvv lower quartile15th: 10.6%16th: 5.2%17th: 2.3%18th: 1.1%19th: 0.4%20th: 0.1%[/quote

I don't doubt your intentions mate, but please take this shit to Accountants Weekly or something, it has absolutely no relevance to how football works....

Latest Monte Carlo9th: 1.1%10th: 5.9%11th: 11.5%^^^ upper quartile12th: 17.5%13th: 23.2% <=== median14th: 21.1%vvv lower quartile15th: 10.6%16th: 5.2%17th: 2.3%18th: 1.1%19th: 0.4%20th: 0.1%

I don't doubt your intentions mate, but please take this shit to Accountants Weekly or something, it has absolutely no relevance to how football works....
Wtf are you talking about? If you don't want to see it then don't.

It's just one different way of looking at things and some of us appreciate it.

Levi, keep up the good work.

Briny's comments were really good on the other hand, you asked exactly the right question. I think you can for instance keep calculating our relegation probability, keep track on how it changes. It's interestingly a good measure of the anxiety level on VT. When it's very low, things calm down, like now. It changes a lot simply because the lower half of the league is so even.

Edited by AVTuco

Well, the die has been cast. Significant results today.

Relegation is between the bottom 11 clubs with S'hampton opening up a 7 point gap from us and Hull... fortunately for us there are many equally shite sides in the mix, but it's gonna go to the wire - It's tight down there. If we can get anything from Monday it will be priceless.

I'm sticking with 12th.

Me too. First of all I'm a little amazed that we have got 23 points so far with some of the performances we had. I watched Cardiff - West Ham today and they were both relegation material. Actually made me feel a little better about our situation.

Â