Where will we finish ?

People freak that Villa don't look great, and that's true, but look at Stoke today. villa had 6 first teamers out and Stoke still didn't dominate the game or even outplay villa for the most part. And this was with them being at home too!

We can't counter attack, we can't hold possession, our long ball game is poor and I haven't seen a through ball for a good few hours. This is not football its just hit it and hope the opposition makes a mistake or one of our team scores a long shot (that's how we won the last game at stoke).

Complete bollocks. I can deal with people slagging us off this year (to an extent) but last year at Stoke, we had SO many chances, the game should have been out of sight before they equalised.

People freak that Villa don't look great, and that's true, but look at Stoke today. villa had 6 first teamers out and Stoke still didn't dominate the game or even outplay villa for the most part. And this was with them being at home too!

They won.

I hadn't realized that, I thought you win by scoring less goals?

No I'm just pointing out that people say Villas performances are so horrible even in wins like Cardiff, but they don't take into account that most bottom half sides don't really look great. For instance, if Villa won like Stoke did today Villa fans on here would be complaining about a lack creativity and that it took a handball to break stoke down late on.

• Like 3

If we lose to Palace all bets are off. It could be another relegation worry which none of us want to see yet again. In the very unlikely event of 2 back to back wins all this negativity could be blown away, and we would be comfortable in mid table again. A massive week for Lambert and the boys.

I thought 10th-12th at the start of the year so I'll stick with that - that is right at the top end of what I think a team paying championship wages has any right to expect

I think some here have an unrealistic vision of what type of football a lower mid-table finish would produce.

40-41 points puts you smack bang in the relegation dogfight, 45-46 points can have you finishing 8th. There is very little, performance-wise between teams that earn 41 points and teams that earn 45 points.

We had some bad spells last season and some good spells - I'm imagining that we will have the same this year. 

The thinking on here that we should be easily beating teams like Stoke is flawed - like it or not we are both lower mid teams and so games will be close.

I'm in a weird position whereby I think we might do better than last season but also I feel like we're more likely to be relegated this season than last season...

It is totally natural to feel like this after a few consecutive defeats, if we happen to get a few consecutive victories you would believe Lambert and his side could take you to the moon and back. Keep The Faith.

• Like 1

45-46 points can have you finishing 8th

No team has ever managed to finish 8th in the premier league with 46 points

I didnt do the research, I was ball-parking, but Swansea finished 9th last year on 46 Points, so not a million miles away

My point was that there is often a handful of points between relegation zone and comfortable mid-table (last season 16th 41 points, 9th 46 points)

5 points does not translate to really noticeably better form over the course of a season - that's why my point is that mid-table is not greatly different performance-wise than the relegation zone. I feel that people were expecting far too much and thinking that we will be really turning teams over. I never imagined that that would be the case

I did a prediction at the start of the year and had us on 24 (end Dec) 28 (end Jan) 32 (end Feb) 38 (end Mar) 44 (end Apr) and 47 (end Season). The points haven't neccessarily come from the games I imagined but things often don't happen the way you expect.

Villacas I've been saying that for ages now. Too many folks around here seem to think that anyone saying we'll finish top 10 is suggesting we're actually good, when the truth is the only difference between 17th and 10th tends to be a bit of luck in a couple of games

• Like 2

Villacas I've been saying that for ages now. Too many folks around here seem to think that anyone saying we'll finish top 10 is suggesting we're actually good, when the truth is the only difference between 17th and 10th tends to be a bit of luck in a couple of games

Yeah you only have to look at houlliers season to see you don't need to always have a good year to finish midtable.

I just hope relegation is not a serious worry this year.

• Like 1

Yeah you only have to look at houlliers season to see you don't need to always have a good year to finish midtable.

I just hope relegation is not a serious worry this year.

The next three games are key to our season

I hope Lambert gets the chance to "show what he can do when he is backed". He was really good at Norwich, he doesn't turn into a numbskull overnight - people really need to ask themselves is it the manager or is it the task

It should not be unrealistic or needing a miracle to get 5 points from the next 3 games.

That would steady the ship and probably put us back in the top 10 again.

I'm more concerned with the quality of football we're having to watch actually improving sometime soon.

I think we will end up 12th - 14th. I can imagine we will spend a fair bit of time looking over our shoulders worrying about how a few bad results will leave us in trouble, but if we have a fully fit team (including Benteke) I don't expect us to ever be in serious trouble.

• Like 1

Â