Where will we finish ?

We lost 8-0 at Chelsea playing an open game.

We won 3-1 at Arsenal playing counter attack.

Yes. Right or wrong, we play like a classic underdog, or a counter-attacking team, if you like.

We manage surprisingly well against top teams, and surprisingly poorly against teams we should beat. A good ass-whipping once or twice a season from a top team is also possible, since we put our heads down if a good team scores two.

We lost 8-0 at Chelsea playing an open game.

We won 3-1 at Arsenal playing counter attack.

We've got one of the worst home records ever because we can't do anything else.

I suppose the best teams are the ones that can do both. Right now I'm watching Man City they can counter and open teams up.

A team like West Ham do neither. "We will be fine."

Well some of our counter attacking goals have been fantastic

I agree. Manchester United were a counter attacking side and they dominated the Premiership. I have no issue with how we counter against teams, I think it is great to watch.

MU did both... you can't win the PL without being able to break a team down that 'parks the bus'. Besides, when two out-and-out counter attacking teams get together it can result in the most boring games imaginable.

I agree. There should be more variety to how we play if we want to progress further.

Just looking at some of the fixtures next week and we'll probably only drop a place at worst.

Man. City v Cardiff

Arsenal v Fulham

Swansea v Spurs

Norwich v Hull

West Ham v Newcastle

Who's winning out of that mob to see us plummeting down the league?

Key is to take 5 points out of WBA and West Brom home ad Cardiff away which are the games coming up after these very difficult next two.

But just shows you even if we lose our next two we won't drop that much down the league.

Just looking at some of the fixtures next week and we'll probably only drop a place at worst.

Man. City v Cardiff

Arsenal v Fulham

Swansea v Spurs

Norwich v Hull

West Ham v Newcastle

Who's winning out of that mob to see us plummeting down the league?

Key is to take 5 points out of WBA and West Brom home ad Cardiff away which are the games coming up after these very difficult next two.

But just shows you even if we lose our next two we won't drop that much down the league.

Cant ever rely on Spurs and Carroll may come back to haunt Newcastle - but other than those the other games should take of themselves as we'd expect.

0 points from the next 2 and if results go against us it could be squeaky bum time already.

The majority of sides have already played this weekend and unless Stoke beat Liverpool later we'll still be 11th but with tomorrows game in hand.

The sides below us are there for a reason, they're doing worse than us this season, so far. They're unlikely to all start winning games especially as some of them will be playing other sides below us.

We're not playing well, we've players out of form and other important players injured but we are still mid table.

There's a lot of work to be done and we can't sit back and relax but things could be a great deal worse.

I think we'll finish around where we are now, which will be an improvement on the last couple of seasons.

The big risk factor for us is that most of our points have come away from home and as the season goes on it could become harder to pick up points away from VP.If we started performing away more like we do at home, we would start to have a distinctly uncomfortable time.

0 points from the next 2 and if results go against us it could be squeaky bum time already.

The majority of sides have already played this weekend and unless Stoke beat Liverpool later we'll still be 11th but with tomorrows game in hand.

The sides below us are there for a reason, they're doing worse than us this season, so far. They're unlikely to all start winning games especially as some of them will be playing other sides below us.

We're not playing well, we've players out of form and other important players injured but we are still mid table.

There's a lot of work to be done and we can't sit back and relax but things could be a great deal worse.

I think we'll finish around where we are now, which will be an improvement on the last couple of seasons.

The big risk factor for us is that most of our points have come away from home and as the season goes on it could become harder to pick up points away from VP.If we started performing away more like we do at home, we would start to have a distinctly uncomfortable time.

On the other hand it could become easier to pick up points at home and villa would have a distinctly comfortable time...

My main concern is that the teams below us will be improving you would imagine and are already bringing in fresh blood to help with that. We however still have injuries to some of our best players and look a million miles from bringing anyone of note in to help us... I think we are really lucky to have 23 points but we are only 6 points off the bottom of the table so 11th really flatters us at present.. We are only 5 points away from a place in the bottom 3 and if those teams strengthen whilst we stand still we are screwed.

Unfortunately, it looks like our hopes once again reply on playing the teams around us who simply must come at us. Then we can use our only skill of hitting them on the break. This will be our tactic for home and away games. We will, once again, get turned over by the big team who simply outplay us. Difference is we need Benteke to start playing like he did last season. I saw glimpses of his old self at Sunderland but he was miles away from his best against Sheff Utd. 

I think we'll finish about where we are now.

Performances have been dreadful this season but we've picked up enough results to improve (pointswise) on last season.

My hope for the future is we'll combine the results of this season with the performances of (the end of) last season and push on further. Not sure that will happen, but that's what I hope.

I think we'll finish about where we are now.

Performances have been dreadful this season but we've picked up enough results to improve (pointswise) on last season.

My hope for the future is we'll combine the results of this season with the performances of (the end of) last season and push on further. Not sure that will happen, but that's what I hope.

I think it's a realistic expectation - particularly seeing as we'll be able to focus our money on improving the first team rather than the squad next summer.

9th: 0.8%

10th: 11.4%

11th: 17.4%

^^^ upper quartile

12th: 19.9%

=== median

13th: 20.1%

vvv lower quartile

14th: 16.0%

15th: 7.9%

16th: 3.7%

17th: 1.7%

18th: 0.7%

19th: 0.3%

20th: 0.1%

Tightening up for 12th-13th...

Relegation chances

Palace: 70.8%

Fulham: 59.0%

Cardiff: 49.6%

West Ham: 47.2%

Norwich: 44.2%

Sunderland: 23.5%

WBA: 2.3%

Stoke: 1.8%

Villa: 1.1%

Swansea: 0.4%

Hull: 0.1%

Current power ratings (more or less expected form against a uniform schedule; rank is out of 255 European clubs)

3. Man City

11. Arsenal

12. Everton

13. Chelsea

17. Man Utd

18. Liverpool

22. Newcastle

35. Spurs

36. Southampton

59. Hull

70. Stoke

91. Villa

92. Sunderland

101. WBA

124. Swansea

151. Cardiff

159. Norwich

163. Palace

164. West Ham

190. Fulham

• Like 2

My main concern is that the teams below us will be improving you would imagine and are already bringing in fresh blood to help with that. We however still have injuries to some of our best players and look a million miles from bringing anyone of note in to help us... I think we are really lucky to have 23 points but we are only 6 points off the bottom of the table so 11th really flatters us at present.. We are only 5 points away from a place in the bottom 3 and if those teams strengthen whilst we stand still we are screwed.

This is spouted a lot - it totally misunderstands the nature of the league

A the end of the season there will probably be 10 points between 17th and 9th and so to be 5 points ahead of the relegation zone at half-way is on track for a mid-table finish

Team in the bottom half are earning points at around .9 a point per game - this weekend as an example the bottom 11 clubs took only 6 points between them. A 5 point gap usually does not disappear overnight!

We might yet get pulled down in the relegation zone but equally a win can give us valuable breathing space

A the end of the season there will probably be 10 points between 17th and 9th and so to be 5 points ahead of the relegation zone at half-way is on track for a mid-table finish

Team in the bottom half are earning points at around .9 a point per game - this weekend as an example the bottom 11 clubs took only 6 points between them. A 5 point gap usually does not disappear overnight!

We might yet get pulled down in the relegation zone but equally a win can give us valuable breathing space

That maybe but i'll spout some more off...

You say the bottom half are earning .9 points per game currently?

Well over the last 7 games including games against Fulham, a poor Man u, Stoke, Palace, Swansea, Sunderland and Arsenal we have averaged 0.57 points per game..

So if the other clubs are averaging 0.9 pts a game and we don't strengthen... but they do and indeed are doing, how does that not equate to them catching us at some point? That is if things don't change of course!?

By my calculations that means they are currently catching us up at a rate of  0.33 pts per game which means it would take precisely 15 games for the teams who are 5 points below us to catch us. Now there are 17 games left this season so they even have 2 games to spare.

That maybe but i'll spout some more off...

You say the bottom half are earning .9 points per game currently?

Well over the last 7 games including games against Fulham, a poor Man u, Stoke, Palace, Swansea, Sunderland and Arsenal we have averaged 0.57 points per game..

So if the other clubs are averaging 0.9 pts a game and we don't strengthen... but they do and indeed are doing, how does that not equate to them catching us at some point? That is if things don't change of course!?

By my calculations that means they are currently catching us up at a rate of  0.33 pts per game which means it would take precisely 15 games for the teams who are 5 points below us to catch us. Now there are 17 games left this season so they even have 2 games to spare.

I'm not saying that they might not catch us at some point - in fact i actually said "We might yet get pulled down into the relegation zone"

That said, your thinking is still flawed - Most people will be happy if we finish 10th-12th - therefore by the halfway stage you would expect us to be at most five points above the relegation zone. It's the nature of the league that teams from 10th down will never feel safe at halfway

Also 11th place does not "flatter us" - so far this season we have been better than the 9 teams below us and our league position reflects this

Â