Where will we finish ?

I've still not seen anything that makes me think we aren't a Top 10 team, and single digits wouldn't be stunning.

The Newcastle game is going to go a long way towards what I think, even with it being Round 4.

There looks a lot more dross this season - I m not convinced we've progressed much at

I'm sorry but that's simply wrong. We got absolutely nothing out of these 3 fixtures last season, and one of them was an 8-0 thrashing at the hands of Chelsea, which is considerably worse than the narrow 2-1 defeat (that probably wouldn't have been a defeat had the refereeing been fair). I fail to see how getting 3 points from 3 fixtures last season that we got 0 points from isn't progression? The performance today wasn't even that bad for most of the game, we just lacked that cutting edge.

We ended last season in top 8 form by beating most of the non-top 10 teams, while losing to all of the top 6 teams. I think it's more than a little unfair to be saying we haven't progressed and that there's more "dross" when you consider that we've only played teams from last season's top 6 so far this season and put in two very good performances from our first 3 games. If anything things suggest we have progressed, if only by a little.

If there's 'more dross' this year, then I guess we're going down?  :detect:

• Like 1

Well for me it's a reasonable start... it would have been an excellent start if we hadn't been shafted by the FA of course.. Not only was a ridiculous run of 3 very tough games in eight days put on us, which in my opinion was absolutely the reason Liverpool had it easy yesterday, but they added a manufactured result at Chelsea to boot.... Thanks FA for making it so worth while spending my money :rant:

As for where we will finish...Simple... Ask the FA

Edited by danceoftheshamen

I think 8-10th is realistic.

Said it in the Southampton thread but WBA finished in 8th on 50 points last season. If that's the margin we can get to that. With last season's horror show we were 9 points off that.

It's fair to say WBA won't be anywhere near 8th this season, Swansea are a good team and have signed well but I reckon they'll do well in the Europa league and we've seen teams with small squads struggle in the league (Newcastle).

I'm not even convinced Everton will finish in the top 7, they've drawn twice against bottom half standard teams so far.

I think it's really open below top 6 personally. I'll go for us to finish 9th.

There looks a lot more dross this season - I m not convinced we've progressed much at - no clean sheets - No one other than Benteke looks like scoring - barring a big splash in the transfer market I'm sticking with 15th....

Bit low for me. Where do you think Newcastle will finish btw. They looked complete shite on the highlights against West Ham, didn't have a single shot on target and Cabaye is refusing to play.

That's before you got to WBA, the three promoted teams, Stoke, Fulham, all teams just happy to stay up I reckon so limited ambition to finish above midtable so interested to see if you've got some of them to finish above us?

None of them have Benteke either.

There looks a lot more dross this season - I m not convinced we've progressed much at

I'm sorry but that's simply wrong. We got absolutely nothing out of these 3 fixtures last season, and one of them was an 8-0 thrashing at the hands of Chelsea, which is considerably worse than the narrow 2-1 defeat (that probably wouldn't have been a defeat had the refereeing been fair). I fail to see how getting 3 points from 3 fixtures last season that we got 0 points from isn't progression? The performance today wasn't even that bad for most of the game, we just lacked that cutting edge.

We ended last season in top 8 form by beating most of the non-top 10 teams, while losing to all of the top 6 teams. I think it's more than a little unfair to be saying we haven't progressed and that there's more "dross" when you consider that we've only played teams from last season's top 6 so far this season and put in two very good performances from our first 3 games. If anything things suggest we have progressed, if only by a little.

You've changed 

;)

Difficult

3 games in and we have yet to concede in the second half. That's quite good for us. 8th.

Chelsea scored in the second half.

It's difficult to tell how good we are yet. These opening games we competed in, which is essentially all I hope for...no matter who we play I want us to try and win.

Since February take the top 4 teams out we've played 11 won 6 drew 3 and lost to an improving Liverpool twice, this is our bread and butter. Continue this form for this season and maybe nick some points off the big boys 7th isn't out of the question, but in reality our season starts now. The next 12 games we have 10 winnable,we need to look to win 5 of them at least and draw a couple to push on. I've not seen anyone as yet outside the top 6 to be weary of but it's early yet.

Its too early to say, but on the three showings so far, our defence looks a lot more solid than last season. However our midfield is still way too lightweight, and apart from Delph's driving runs, offers very little going forward. Bacuna is not the answer, he looked way out of his depth. If we can't bring in a genuine attacking midfielder of some quality we will get sussed out pretty easily as being too one-dimentional.

Its too early to say, but on the three showings so far, our defence looks a lot more solid than last season. However our midfield is still way too lightweight, and apart from Delph's driving runs, offers very little going forward. Bacuna is not the answer, he looked way out of his depth. If we can't bring in a genuine attacking midfielder of some quality we will get sussed out pretty easily as being too one-dimentional.

I truly think we will, we made our biggest signing at the end of the window last summer, I think it will be the same this year.

So far not a great deal looks to have changed.

Defensively we improved towards the end of last season, we're still making mistakes but looking a little more composed.

Set-pieces - nothing has changed, we still suck at taking them............ i think we managed to start defending them a bit better last season.

Possession - we're not great at keeping the ball, especially against the top teams.

Playing for an entire 90 mins - erm nope

Attacking on the break - excellent as ever

Guzan and Benteke still awesome with Delph approaching that accolade

It looks like Okore could be great, but I haven't seen anything of the other signings so far including pre-season to make me think they will radically change us. Luna looks more consistent than Bennett, but in many ways similar - in that he can attack but not defend, ok maybe he can still defend better than Bennett.

The litmus test will be against teams in the middle of the Prem - whom we lost or drew with last season, if we can actually beat Southampton, Everton, Swansea, Newcastle then i will be convinced we have improved.

• Like 1

Â