Antonio Luna

Phumfeinz

Without doubt the worst defender I've ever had the misfortune of watching turn out for us and his display at Norwich was quite simply one of the worst I've seen from any full-back, ever.

Exaggerate much?

Hardly. I genuinely cannot think of a player with less defensive ability that I've seen playing for us and his performance against Norwich really was that bad.

Edited by Isa

Nope. I genuinely can't think of a player with less defensive ability that I've seen playing for us and his performance against Norwich really was that bad.

Come now. I can think of plenty with less defensive ability from last season alone: Benteke, Wiemann, Agbhonlahor, Kozak.

Granted - they are not defenders - but they still possess less defensive ability. :P;)

• Like 1

Good riddance. Without doubt the worst defender I've ever had the misfortune of watching turn out for us and his display at Norwich was quite simply one of the worst I've seen from any full-back, ever.

You do go on a bit, don't you?

• Like 1

Hardly. I genuinely cannot think of a player with less defensive ability that I've seen playing for us and his performance against Norwich really was that bad.

You obviously weren't around for legends like Steve Sims and Bernie Gallagher if Luna is the least able defender you have seen playing for us.

You obviously weren't around for legends like Steve Sims and Bernie Gallagher if Luna is the least able defender you have seen playing for us.

I was.  He's up there with being as bad as those two, as is Bennett.   Let's hope it's 3rd time lucky with Richardson.

luna isnt great but to say he is the worst is such a stupid exaggeration its not even worth responding to it any further

Maybe not THE worst, but not far off.  Your post is more of an exaggeration to be honest, he was dismal.

If he didn't have a beard and a cool name I think fans would have a completely different opinion of him. He really is a woeful defender. Not very good going forward either. Shame it's only a loan TBH.

Correct, I only started supporting the club in 2001.

You do go on a bit, don't you?

Is there a certain weekly quota that I missed?

Edited by Isa

Maybe not THE worst, but not far off.  Your post is more of an exaggeration to be honest, he was dismal.

I dont see where I have exaggerated anything.

luna played 16 games cored on his debut. i would say bennetts worse and and has more opportunities

also remember Ghrayib? worst left back ive seen at the club

Bennett?

I thought Luna was poorer over xmas tbh, that Man, united game oh my.

Not taking anything away from how poor as Bennett has been but I thought Luna took it to a new level of hopelessness. After the first three games, pretty much all his performances were embarrassingly poor but the Norwich one stands out to me as the worst.

I can't remember anything of that Norwich game apart from Kozak scoring and Benteke getting injured, did he give away the penalty?

I'm not denying he didn't have poor games, against Man. United Valencia ripped him apart and Bolaise did the same against Palace on boxing day. I thought he generally did o.k until October when he got injured and his level significantly dropped when he came back.

For me hopelessness is Bennett away to Norwich back end of 12-13, conceded a penalty and seemed to spend all the second half trying to get sent off. That and Bradford away where all of our back 4 were amatuerish.

Surprised Luna hasn't gone back to Spain but I'm sure he'll still have a top flight career away from the premier league.

remember bennett against bradford at villa park? one of the worst defensive displays ive ever seen from a  left back. yes most of the team was not good that day. but bennett should have been sacked for that lame performance. he was dreadful

I can't remember anything of that Norwich game apart from Kozak scoring and Benteke getting injured, did he give away the penalty?

I'm not denying he didn't have poor games, against Man. United Valencia ripped him apart and Bolaise did the same against Palace on boxing day. I thought he generally did o.k until October when he got injured and his level significantly dropped when he came back.

For me hopelessness is Bennett away to Norwich back end of 12-13, conceded a penalty and seemed to spend all the second half trying to get sent off. That and Bradford away where all of our back 4 were amatuerish.

Surprised Luna hasn't gone back to Spain but I'm sure he'll still have a top flight career away from the premier league.

I'd have to profoundly disagree with the highlighted bit. He had an acceptable first three games and then Newcastle and Norwich happened and it was downhill from then on.

Bennett's performance at Norwich was abysmal but at least he was in some sort of proximity to the opposition to make such fouls. Luna on the other hand just spent the entire second-half either caught way too high up the pitch or tucking in and effectively hiding behind the centre-back. The amount of times they had total, unchallenged free-reign down our left side was utterly incredible. So much so that Norwich's entire attacking plan just morphed into passing it to Snodgrass. Seeing as you confess to not remembering it well, I'd recommend watching the second-half again if you have time just for the comic value.

luna played 16 games cored on his debut. i would say bennetts worse and and has more opportunities

Strange logic you have there. Claiming that Luna wasn't given opportunities to warrant my evaluation of him but then follow it up by giving an equally conclusive one on Najwan Ghrayib who made a grand total of six appearences for us.

I don't remember Ghrayib being that bad, but then he hardly played enough to make an informed view.  I was at the away game at Chester in the league cup and don't recall him being that bad, and other than that he only really came on as a late sub ocasionally as Alan Wright was in his pomp back then.

Â