Antonio Luna

Phumfeinz

I have a feeling Luna may have been a Culverhouse victim. Kind of ties in with his dip in form. Looked promising at the start.

If by "the start" you mean three games, then yes.

I have a feeling Luna may have been a Culverhouse victim. Kind of ties in with his dip in form. Looked promising at the start.

If by "the start" you mean three games, then yes.

I was going to say 90 minutes to be honest.

Bertrand was pretty shit too. He started brightly... as did Luna. Wonder if bad coaching had anything to do with it.

I think bad coaching, Lambert not being able to organise a defence and our desire to hoof the ball results in our defence being bombarded and looking poor.

More to do with confidence than anything else - the whole team was bereft of it by the end of the season. 

Luna was poor for pretty much the whole season.  That (admittedly, very good) goal at Arsenal bought him a lot more time than he deserved before people realised he was poor.  That's one of Lambert's biggest failings for me, buying Luna and Bennett, both of whom are terrible at defending.  You could almost get away with them in the team if you had a rock solid defensive central partnership, but as we don't, they're both just liabilities.  That's one position where buying one player for £6m would have been better than buying the pair of them.  Neither of them are even as good as Lichaj, and he was a shite right back out of position.

• Like 1

More to do with confidence than anything else - the whole team was bereft of it by the end of the season.

Luna was poor for pretty much the whole season. That (admittedly, very good) goal at Arsenal bought him a lot more time than he deserved before people realised he was poor. That's one of Lambert's biggest failings for me, buying Luna and Bennett, both of whom are terrible at defending. You could almost get away with them in the team if you had a rock solid defensive central partnership, but as we don't, they're both just liabilities. That's one position where buying one player for £6m would have been better than buying the pair of them. Neither of them are even as good as Lichaj, and he was a shite right back out of position.

Sort of agree, but we got Berty in there at christmas and he got steadily worse as the season went on. Strikes me it may be more to do with tactics and what is asked of them than just pure ability or lack of.

No it isn't, it's to do with ability.

he looked promising from an attacking perspective, it was clear from day one he couldn't defend.

Thought he handled Walcott, Hazard and Coutinho pretty well in the opening weeks.

I was reasonably happy with his form uptill October, then he was injured for a bit and completely useless when he returned.

Trouble is the alternative is Bennett.

What the hell happened to Luna. Was he that bad?

No, he wasn't. As was noted above, he was pretty good until he got injured, and then when he came back he was poor, culminating in a performance against United where Valencia destroyed him time and again, a la Lennon vs Edman, if anyone remembers that. His confidence seemed to completely disappear and he was always pretty weak positionally. There are some positives to his play, but without improved positioning he won't make it here. Also, he needs to learn how to take throw-ins that reach teammates. I'm in favour of keeping Luna as a backup, but he should be starting the season behind someone else not named Bennett in the pecking order. 

Nonsense. He played acceptably for the first three games and then Newcastle and Norwich happened and it became quite clear that he was a complete liability.

Yeah his confidence was shot after that United mauling, Bolaise ripped him apart on boxing day aswell, sad to see.

With the Bertrand loan I assumed we'd get another left back in this summer and luna would go back to Spain, probably on loan.

Now with minimal transfer spend I fully expect to start the season with Bennett as first choice and Luna as back up.

Â