Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

The front isn't so bad, it's just that blue bit at the bottom which completely ruins it. Makes it look like they're wearing a longer blue shirt underneath.

I actually like the front appearance, but the back bit makes no sense. 

If they actually stay up - and I agree it's 90% likely they will now - Carver might just have inadvertently done the fans a favour by demonstrating to Ashley quite how shit his players are. Surely even Ashley will plonk a few quid down to avoid the probability of relegation with these chumps. 

They're like we were under Lambert I think. A decent manager in there and they'll be nowhere close to the relegation zone next season - which is why I really, really, REALLY hope Hull can pull a shocker out of the bag on Sunday

Completely agree. They're suffering from two, acute, problems:

1) The manager is shit, doesn't know what he's doing, and very clearly doesn't have the respect of anybody at all, and

2) The players don't believe that they can get out of the cycle they're stuck in, which really is similar to Lambert, except the pressure is harder up there because the fans and local media are so full-on. Ashley's treatment of the local press - banning them from press conferences etc - hasn't helped either because now no-one there feels they owe the club any favours, so they can say whatever the **** they want. 

I actually think there are some alright players there - Perez is promising played in the right system, Cisse is good when he has his head on straight, Aarons has promise, De Jong is quality if he stays healthy, Colback has played well, Sissoko good, Krul and Janmaat haven't been playing well but they're just out of form. What they do desperately need in the summer is two new reliable centre-backs. Coloccini looks lost these days, definitely not captain material and can't organise the defence. Raylor and Saylor and Williamson could all easily be improved upon. 

Finally, they need a manager that everyone can actually respect and who is starting with a clean slate. I think they'll get all of that and be comfortably mid-table next season, which is where Pardew had them before he left. 

John Carver in the media, 'feeling the effects of the relegation fight':

John Carver has revealed he is sleeping for around only four hours a night as hisNewcastle United side prepare for their biggest game in six years on Sunday.

. . . he has asked his players to stay away from social and mainstream media this week. “If you have a Twitter account and someone starts giving you abuse on that it can affect your mental status,” said Alan Pardew’s successor. “I’ve had a chat with the guys to say keep off the internet and social media and watch wrestling on television – not football because that can fatigue you mentally. Stay away from TV as much as you can.”

On Tuesday Carver invited non-playing club staff to a squad meeting. The idea was to remind Newcastle’s players that they would be responsible for backroom personnel losing their jobs in the event of relegation. “There’s an awful lot of good local people who’ve been here a long time and a lot of their friends lost their jobs here last time,” said Carver. “That’s one of the reasons I brought all of the staff into the meeting with the players. Sometimes that can be a motivation for players.

“I gave the players an opportunity if they didn’t fancy it to leave the room and nobody left the room – that tells me they’re up for the fight. There’s going to be pressure on them, they’ve got to play the game not the occasion. They’ve got to stay composed, as I have, and not fear wanting to get on the ball and play. If we do that I’m fairly confident.”

You could literally write a pretty decent academic study on management theory based around this guy. He's just a textbook example of how not to do things, over and over again. Here's a difficult conundrum. You're a football manager. You're struggling to take the pressure (can't sleep). Your players can't take the pressure of a home game in front of a hostile crowd. Do you 1) tell them - and remind yourself - that if they don't win they're going to be personally responsible for mass redundancies, or 2) not do that?

The end of the season can't come soon enough for this guy, he's sadly cracking up. Whatever happens at the weekend, he should take a very long and very therapeutic holiday, and give up trying to be a manager forever. Coaching doesn't come with so much pressure. 

• Like 1

John Carver says he is the "best coach in the Premier League", despite leading relegation-threatened Newcastle to only nine points from 48.

The 50-year-old was asked to take over as manager from Alan Pardew at the end of 2014, but the team have only won two games under his stewardship.

Newcastle are two points above the drop zone having lost their last eight successive matches.

"I still feel I am the best coach in the Premier League," he said.

He might well feel like that... and it may well be true...

But he is a shit manager!

I think they can still go down. If Arsenal win tonight then United have nowt to play for at Hull and Hull were so unlucky at Spurs, I can see them beating United and theres no way Sam will want to finish with a defeat and he has an axe to grind with Newcastle. 

If Arsenal win tonight then United have nowt to play for at Hull

Pinning my hopes on this one too. A Hull win v Man Utd becomes a lot more likely with an Arsenal win tonight.

• Like 2

Sorry but why are their fans deluded. They have not won a trophy since 1955. They are the third best supported team in the country yet their fans don't expect them to be challenging top 4 which they should be really. 

Sorry but why are their fans deluded. They have not won a trophy since 1955. They are the third best supported team in the country yet their fans don't expect them to be challenging top 4 which they should be really.

I really hope you're joking

Done the predictor for the relevant matches

Arsenal 2 Sunderland 0

Chelsea 2 Sundlerand 0

Newcastle 0 West Ham 0

Hull 1 ManUre 0

that rather satisfyingly leave the table as follows:

16. Hull 37pts -18GD

17. Sunderland 37pts -24GD

18. Newcastle 37pts -25GD (Relegated on goal difference!!!!)

I can live in hope (and what would make it even better was if Newcastle have a genuine goal disallowed during the match!) ;)

Â