Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

How exactly could PIF, Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund, which was going to have an 80% stake in the takeover, and which has the Crown Prince as its chairman, be autonomous and independent of the Saudi government, when, along with his father (the king), the Crown Prince is the Saudi government?!

I guess some NU fans haven't properly considered the human rights side of all this, e.g. the disappearances and executions of activists (including numerous females campaigning for women's rights) and journalists (including that Khashoggi, a well-reported example). I mean, there are a few things that are more important than football, for a start there's respect for life. So, well done the Premier League for insisting on a thorough investigation and arbitration first. And I don't think Mike Ashley and Amanda Staveley look very good in all this, backing a Saudi government backed takeover (now ex-takeover).

The ethical question of the ex-takeover isn't just about disappeared and/or executed activists and journalists, it's also about Saudi Arabia's role in the war and humanitarian disaster in Yemen. I imagine that human rights groups such as Amnesty are against countries, including the UK, still trading with Saudi Arabia, and especially arms. I don't feel happy about it either. And the Newcastle takeover bid may have been partly a way for the Saudi regime to do some 'sportwashing' (to 'sportwash' itself), i.e. to improve its global image through sport.

(Having said that, countries could have suspended trade with the UK for our involvement in the 2003 war in Iraq and the humanitarian disaster that has followed there! So I recognise it's not a straightforward issue! :s British governments haven't been angels either. But we're surely not as far down a human rights league table as Saudi Arabia).

Edited by robby b
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, robby b said:

How exactly could PIF, Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund, which was going to have an 80% stake in the takeover, and which has the Crown Prince as its chairman, be autonomous and independent of the Saudi government, when, along with his father (the king), the Crown Prince is the Saudi government?!

I guess some NU fans haven't properly considered the human rights side of all this, e.g. the disappearances and executions of activists and journalists (including that Khashoggi, a well-reported example). I mean, there are a few things that are more important than football, for a start there's respect for life. So, well done the Premier League for insisting on a thorough investigation and arbitration first. And I don't think Mike Ashley and Amanda Staveley look very good in all this, backing a Saudi government backed takeover (now ex-takeover).

The bolded is absolutely right, and the most important point. Saudi Arabia doesn't even have a legislature - not even a puppet, only-for-show-purposes one like China, just no legislature at all - so there is no intermediary institution which could *theoretically* be in charge of the sovereign wealth fund.

The Premier League have acted properly with regards to this. Nobody is more surprised than I am, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

EDIT: I mean, really, check the middle of the paragraph of the club statement here:

EhiUeZfWsAEbUh_?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Imagine how corrupt you would have to be to listen to a presentation by Mike Ashley's legal representatives, in which they seriously argue (with 'overwhelming evidence'!) that Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund is independent and autonomous of the government (in this country that has no legislature, no opposition, no political parties, and in which one family makes every meaningful governmental decision), and then rubber-stamp it. It was a low bar for the PL to clear, but at least they cleared it.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

I've never really understood why Newcastle are a "big' club, is it simply down to the fact they have a fairly large attendance and a lot of hype-men in the media?

Because it certainly isn't down to anything they've won, I had to google their honours and it was even worse and more ancient than I'd suspected, I'd hazard a guess the vast majority of their fans have not actually seen them win a single thing bar the Intertoto cup

33 minutes ago, penguin said:

I've never really understood why Newcastle are a "big' club, is it simply down to the fact they have a fairly large attendance and a lot of hype-men in the media?

Because it certainly isn't down to anything they've won, I had to google their honours and it was even worse and more ancient than I'd suspected, I'd hazard a guess the vast majority of their fans have not actually seen them win a single thing bar the Intertoto cup

Newcastle came along at the right time of the Sky boom to get this hype. Keegans meltdown and them losing the league seems to have build up some hype

Since when has the premier league been so accommodating of fans for any other failed takeovers?

The whole situation is so galling and cringey, so a takeover failed - who cares? It happens all the time, at least 4 or 5 failed takeovers throughout the league every year, Charlton Athletic seem to have one every month or two.

This Staveley woman has been turned down what, 3 times now? Can the moron barcodes not put 2 + 2 together and come up with 4? She’s dodgy AF, the saudi’s are dodgy AF, the whole situation was/is dodgy AF but sure, Newcastle are being victimised right? Bore off ya bunch of zebra painted clowns.

• Like 1

sounds like its going to be paying for some law firms Christmas party

its turning in to a bit of he said she said with of course the Newcastle fans siding with the conspiracy theories and bitter suggestion that the PL doesn't want competition

all comes back to "provide all appropriate information" if the PL has asked for a document and they've said no then its a dead duck, especially if there is precedent that the document is considered appropriate for every take over bidder, that's where as I've thought all along that they're investors growing their portfolio, buying shares in things like IBM and facebook, this isn't a big purchase for them, probably not a key purchase either, I can imagine the response when the PL asks mr crown prince for his last 12 months of bank statements

@villa4europe I think you're right that ultimately they are refusing to provide necessary documentation. My contention, based on what I've seen so far, is that there is no possible documentation that could prove the independence of Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund from Saudi Arabia's government, and that any document which purports to do so would be a lie.

• Like 1

On 10/09/2020 at 20:23, Zatman said:

a lot of the fans are unhappy about signing Ryan Fraser, compared his attitude to Owen and think will be trouble

The same guy who refused to help bournmouth stay up and wouldnt renew his contract fir a few weeks.

As simon jordan said a absolute turd that i wouldnt want near our squad

I read up on Amanda Staveley last night, interesting stuff.

She’s a con artist and a fraud basically, only legitimate company she owned went bump, she was declared bankrupt and in fact was done for some form of fraud, then she pissed off to the Middle East, married a local and wormed her way in with the Emirati folk.

Oh, and in case there’s any doubt on her character still at this point she first became known for dating Prince Andrew.

And finally, obviously she was Cambridge ‘educated’.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wilson scored on his debut and there was alot of negativey about signing him. 

Im not suprised he is a good player

Free transfer Hendrick starting with a goal & assist too.

Â