Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Of course he wants a break. Obviously nothing to do with his team struggling and is desperate to get to the January Transfer window.

Null and Void shouts incoming very soon.

The PL will be thankful for getting half of the games played this weekend when they're trying to fit in 3 games per week later in the season.

As for Newcastle avoiding relegation, well they're most likely going to be stuck on 10 points at the midpoint of the season, with Manchester Blue and Red up next for them. That would leave them probably needing 6 wins minimum (with 6-7 draws) to even be there or thereabouts. Sounds almost impossible, and yet they're still in touching distance of 17th for now at least.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Liverpool - 62% possession, 20 attempts on goal to Villa's 4

The Big difference is we were sitting back trying to keep a draw. 

When we had to go for them after we finally conceded we made a fist of it. 

Newcastle were a goal behind and getting absolutely battered for the full 45 minutes. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The Big difference is we were sitting back trying to keep a draw. 

When we had to go for them after we finally conceded we made a fist of it. 

Newcastle were a goal behind and getting absolutely battered for the full 45 minutes. 

They were a goal ahead in an incredibly similar first half to what we endured tbh.  I thought they played quite well.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

They were a goal ahead in an incredibly similar first half to what we endured tbh.  I thought they played quite well.

I only saw the second half. 

Just now, sidcow said:

I only saw the second half. 

Second half, Liverpool were nowhere near as good as the first half but were still able to easily thwart any Newcastle counter attacks.

Again, pretty similar to our game.

1 win in 17 games is awful really but when you look at the other bottom 2/3/4 teams they’re just as bad, which means Newcastle are still in touching distance of them.

January is going to be such an interesting watch. My gut feeling is that they won’t go all ridiculous with spending and we’ll likely see some very expensive loans. 

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think they’ll survive. Only in the drop zone by 3 points and they will surely improve the team in January.

Nothing is certain, so you may be right. But I think they're facing four significant headwinds in terms of January transfers:

• Their form and chances of relegation;
  • That *every* club in the division sees them as a rival, not only the bottom half;
  • AFCON;
  • Covid

Normally, teams only face *one* of those four headwinds, and you'd still expect a team in their position to go down more often than not.

I also think there's a real question about how to allocate resources. They've got something like half a billion to spend over the next 3 years; would it be a good investment to spend a lot of it this January? The danger is, if you go for BIG signings, that they cost a fortune, you get relegated anyway, then they don't want to play in the Championship but no-one else wants them either, so you loan them out paying their wages *and* sign a Championship replacement, and then you're trying to get rid of one or both of them anyway even if you get promoted.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Loans may net he way to go.

Lingard and Barkley maybe for starters? 

Yeah, loans are better financially . . . but there's still a danger for United and Chelsea here. What if you loan them Lingard - and then he keeps them up, like Willock did on loan last season? And then they spend a ton of money, and start challenging for the Champions League? All for the benefit of 'developing' a player you are going to let go anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, loans are better financially . . . but there's still a danger for United and Chelsea here. What if you loan them Lingard - and then he keeps them up, like Willock did on loan last season? And then they spend a ton of money, and start challenging for the Champions League? All for the benefit of 'developing' a player you are going to let go anyway.

Yep, if you step down from Lingard and Barkley and say they try to loan trez or chuk off us... Why would we want to do that? They stay up and overtake us eventually, we should want them to go down and give ourselves more time 

All 19 PL clubs should be thinking exactly the same, even city and Liverpool, helping them now could bite you on the ass in 3 or 4 years time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Really hope the season is not abandoned or something like that and they get to stay in the league by default.

It won't be null and void.

Premier League would lose too much money.

Will be back to no fans worst case scenario.

What they do have going for them is it looks like another year where an incredibly low number of points will keep you up. People used to take about 40 points but last year 29 would have been enough to stay up. Hard to see if being that bad but it could maybe be 33 or 34.

Â