Christian Benteke

Kwan

Lazy journalism. Adebayor as part of the deal! For a start there is no way we would pay Adebayors wages. I do think we would accept a straight cash deal of £25m though.

Lazy journalism. Adebayor as part of the deal! For a start there is no way we would pay Adebayors wages. I do think we would accept a straight cash deal of £25m though.

Adebayor is on more than Benteke and Bent combined!

£20million. Hasn't lambert already said 35million wouldn't even get you to the negotiation table.

that quote is bollocks though. If there was a £35m offer he would be straight off.

Have to laugh reading the stories today.

Firstly it is Spurs - so not a big enough club.

Secondly £20m - add an extra £10m then I imagine we might start talking to the bigger clubs.

Thirdly he might well be happy to stay and even if he isn't we don't need to sell him.

Fourthly it was in the Daily Star!

Won't be losing any sleep over it!

• Like 1

Sounds like Spurs doing a Blues trick when they tried to look like they were players by going after big names. Keep the fans happy if they're worried about losing Bale by floating the prospect of a shrewd stuffing of the naive midlanders. You know the trick. Offer us one of their cast offs and a supposedly huge sum of money and we'll bite their hand off. Typical Cockney barrow boys. I can't see Lerner and certainly Lambert falling for that one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8918222.stm

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 1

Have to laugh reading the stories today.

Firstly it is Spurs - so not a big enough club.

Secondly £20m - add an extra £10m then I imagine we might start talking to the bigger clubs.

Thirdly he might well be happy to stay and even if he isn't we don't need to sell him.

Fourthly it was in the Daily Star!

Won't be losing any sleep over it!

Precisely this.

Must be a slow week in the world of football "journalism".

I honestly believe if he stays with us till the World Cup, he could have his pick from any club in the world. At the moment, I can't see anyone that seriously interested in him worth moving too.

I really do not understand this. 

I don't see how if Benteke moved to Plop/Spurs/Madrid until the world cup he wouldnt have the pick form any club in the world - as well as playing at a higher lever, earning a higher wage and having the opportunity to take those clubs to a higher level themselves.

I just don't see how people are thinking that clubs like Spurs can offer Benteke everything we can next season, plus more.

I think Benteke will find it harder to force a move out of Liverpool or Spurs than he would from us. If either of those clubs got him and paid big money they would expect him for more than a year.

Thats pretty much the only downside I can see for him moving to those clubs

they'd also expect a return on their investment and at 25 - 30m it would take to get him off us and 12 months wages at 80k per month, that makes a financial return less doable

Also, from Benteke's point of view, going to Liverpool or Spurs means he risks not being able to play on the Champions League for the foreseeable future. Holding out could get him a move to a club that is certain to get CL football.

Honestly, the only thing that makes me think he could go to either of those clubs is the fact they will pay him a lot of money, which is sad really because I'd hate to see him leave us solely because of cash.

On the contrary, I really cannot see Liverpool or Spuds affording to reach our valuation. We're apparently holding out for £30m, I can't see either team spending even £20m on him, a figure that Spuds are reportedly lining up to grab Leandro Damiao (who is a rated higher than Benteke in world football IMO).

For me, and this is aimed at all 3 of you as you all raise fair points, you could argue it both ways.

Yes you could say all of the above but what is to stop Benteke firing those clubs into europe? 

Surely if Benteke is ambitious enough to stay at Villa so he can go to a real top club, then he can be ambitious enough to star in a better side than Villa to 

a) raise his valuation to make it possible for his club to get a return

and/or

b fire his club into the champions league themselves.

Lets be honest, we are not talking about teams where it would be a major shock if they qualified for the champs league really.

There is also the argument that whilst there is no guarantees at those clubs, there isnt at Villa either. Benteke might be thinking, this is a team that could struggle again. The signings are hardly 'set in stone' successes. Its exciting but it could go wrong.

I think if you take away your love for Villa and obv subsequent wish for him to stay, you would be hard pushed to argue a strong case for him to stay as oppose to join any of the mentioned teams. 

Edited by Woodytom

We should make Spurs a counter offer.  Tell them we are not interested in selling Benteke, but we would be more than happy to take Gareth Bale off of them in exchange for Stephen Ireland, Richard Dunne and £8m! 

• Like 1

Funniest part of that Daily Star article is the Spurs "insider" saying they have offered 20 mill Benteke but won't be offering Defoe in return because "you don't sell a player who can guarantee you 15 goals a season". Ahem!!

yeah ive had a quick look, most of them dont seem too fussed, £12m for villa a better move than £30m benteke etc

i did like the comment on how on his day adebayor is better... not sure when those days are cos i dont think ive ever seen one...

He is not a 30M player yet, he has only had one season in the Premier League and many have had great success their first season. Of course, if he keeps up the pace next season and gives us close to 20 goals then he easily is a 30M player. He didn't just score goals (19 league goals isn't THAT much when we are talking 30M) - but he dominated matches in his own way very often. That is worth millions as well, as you have a player with pace who can win headers as well as challenging defenders without the ball with his runs.

I guess if we received a bid of 22M+ then we would have a problem, as we all know Lambert is not the one who makes the decision.

Edited by Papillon
  • Like 1

Â