Christian Benteke

Kwan

Assuming this is true, I don't know if placing a £40m price tag on CB is the right way to go.

As highly as we rate him, he is not worth that sort of money. For £40m, you should be getting a world class striker, and Christian Benteke is not world class YET. I think that him and his agent would know that, and if he/his agent thinks that we are pricing him out of a move it could cause a lot of aggravation.

I worry that this is going to get very messy, very fast. Hopefully we can get him on a new contract ASAP, and put this to bed until next summer!

Edited by Woody1000

Here is the article

Aston Villa have slapped an incredible £40m price tag on in-demand striker Christian Benteke.

Villa boss Paul Lambert is hoping the jaw-dropping figure will scare off interest from Atletico Madrid, Arsenal and Tottenham.

They are determined not to sell this summer even though there is a realisation they will not be able to keep 22-year-old Benteke in the long term.

Atletico director general Miguel Angel Gil Marin has had talks with Benteke’s representatives and claims he has had discussions with Villa over a potential summer move.

Atletico boss Diego Simeone has identified Benteke as his No1 choice to replace Radamel Falcao who has gone to Monaco in a stunning £50m move.

Spurs are also keen and Mirror Sport revealed yesterday that they are prepared to put Jermain Defoe into a player-plus-cash deal.

Arsenal are also watching developments closely and he would be high on their hit-list as Arsene Wenger looks for a new striker, having admitted previously he considered Benteke before he moved to Villa.

But Villa are determined not to cash in even though they could make an incredible profit on the £8m they paid Genk for Benteke last summer.

Benteke has taken the Premier League by storm and is now a hot property with the Belgian also eyeing another big season approaching next summer’s World Cup.

But Villa are holding firm and if Benteke goes this summer then it will not be on the cheap.

Mirror

Edited by HalfTimePost

Mirror reports Spurs are offering Defoe and money -> BLOODY MIRROR MAKING THINGS UP

Mirror reports we're slapping 40m price tag on him -> BRILLIANT NEWS

We can't have it both ways guys :D

I doubt they made the Defoe thing up. We all just TROLLOLOLOL'd cos it was a shite deal that no one would accept!

However I am skeptical about this £40m price tag until i hear it from Lambert, but it could explain why Benteke will be modelling the kit, because they expect him to be here next season? 

"Christian Benteke, Ron Vlaar, Andreas Weimann, Ashley Westwood, Gabby Agbonlahor and Brad Guzan were on hand at Bodymoor Heath to pose for pictures which will be used in marketing activity over the coming weeks."

On the OS about the kit - I thought he'd still be over in Belgium with the national team but if he is back here to pose for pictures before their friendly then surely they would've sat down to talk about his contract?

I'm 100% sure those photos would have been taken before the end of the season mate.

They're only surfacing now as a teaser for the kit unveiling next Wednesday

I would take 40m for him in a shot I love the guy but it is just one season at the moment, anything over 35m take it in a shot and 30m I would probably be happy with to buy 3 10m players who overall will benefit the team more than Benteke.

The figure of 20m plus Defoe is a moot point.

Defoe will not leave end of story, I saw a program a few years back on him he loves living in london, is a londoner and is very into his own charity which is based in London.

I think the only reason he moved to Pompy is the commute down the M3 was do-able.

Can't see him wanting to commute to us or Lambert thinking that commute would be a good idea and lest we forget we have apparently tried to sign him about 50 times before lol

• Like 1

If we refuse to budge from 40m then that really is a bit silly.... hell Andy Carroll had one wonder season for Newcastle and was a last minute panic buy which cost up to 35m... look where he is now.No one wants to pay 12m plus 80k+ wages. I'd probably take 30 if we had replacements lined up.

Liverpool fan mate said today he's only worth £15m, and he was being genuine. Incredible.

I said: "...Allen, Borini, Downing, Henderson, Carroll, Johnson, Aquilani, are you kidding me?"

He said no more, and everyone else in the office agreed he's worth an absolute minimum of £20m.

I myself will be disappointed with anything under £30m

Edited by Tomaszk

Mirror reports Spurs are offering Defoe and money -> BLOODY MIRROR MAKING THINGS UP

Mirror reports we're slapping 40m price tag on him -> BRILLIANT NEWS

We can't have it both ways guys :D

Exactly. I've posted against those who are insistent that CB is all but gone and I've slated the Mirror for their recent Defoe BS, but I also refuse to believe the £40m tag until I hear/read it from the club. I'm also waiting for Downing to be referenced.

I seriously doubt we are interested in Benteke and also doubt Defoe is for sale. This story is complete rubbish in my opinion.

Benteke will stay at Villa unless Liverpool are interested. All the other links seem hugely speculative to me. 

Why do you doubt you'd be in for Benteke joey? I think he'd be a great buy for you. From what I've seen of Spurs this season you're desperate for a decent striker. Adebayor and Defoe are just too inconsistent. 

I very much doubt he will be going to Liverpool. he's much better than that and I think Lambert will be telling him that. 

Because we've been following Leandro for 2 years, so it would be very odd to suddenly to change at look at Benteke. Personally I don't see what the fuss is with Leandro but our board seem determined to land him. Also there is much better value available elsewhere. Buying from the Premier league is expensive. You'd want over £20 million for a player who has scored 16 goals from open play. He's had a very good season, but outside of the Prem, that would be seen as crazy money for a guy who has had 1 year in a league.

I think the Andy Carroll has scuppered that chances of you being able to get a huge fee for him until he's shown he can do it for more than 1 season. The Carroll deal is often touted as a reason why you'd value CB so highly, but in reality, to potential buyers, it's a stark reminder of why not to pay so much based on a relatively short period. Levy tends to learn from past lessons. After spending £16 million on Darren Bent, I can't see us spending big on an inexperienced Prem striker unless he's obviously exceptional.

I know many will argue CB is exceptional, but it would contradict the match reports threads here at VT. Our scouts will see the same games you guys do and though CB has scored goals and had some great games, many times he hasn't been that great, as has been the consensus among your fans who post here. I'm not saying he isn't quality and it isn't my opinion of CB I'm talking about. I'm pointing out that the general opinion of him over the last month or so far exceeds what has been said in match day threads by members of this forum. I stress there has been no suggestion that he isn't good, but that opinions expressed based on his performances in post match threads don't really match the hype he's now receiving. 

Generally speaking I think his value to Villa is simply higher than it is to most clubs touted as being interested in him. For example, he can be linked to Athletico Madrid all summer, but are they going to be more interested in him or Negredo/Salgado? Which club need to sell more, Valencia, Athletico or Villa? I just don't see serious offers coming in for him based on the price you'd want, the history of players who have had good 1st seasons and the players going to be available this summer. 

I hate Liverpool as mush as ever other football fan does since RAWK came into existence. But I think some of you are under estimating how enticing they will be for many players. We've finished above them 4 years in a row and I still think they are seen as a step up from us simply because of the scale of the club offers such great potential. 

Valencia, for the fact they didn't qualify for the CL next season means they are financially ****, so big stars such as Salgado and Albelda will have to be sold. 40m would be shocking if Villa were offered it for Bentekers, were being the key word in that sentence, 30m would be enough for me to sell, so we can rebuild the team with that money, which RL hopefully reinvests into the club.

Edited by Avflife

Hmmm... Mirror with very little football to report on.

Mirror write a story about an in form striker, a very well known England striker, some London club and throws in words like 'stunning' and 'cash'.

Mirror quotes itself and continues its own saga using a nice round large number of millions.

The numbers 25, 30, 35, 45 and 50, written on folded bits of paper, remain in the bottom of a hat, ready for another day.

Edited by brommy
  • Like 1

I, for one, didn't think the Mirror would make that up. It's completely believable that the top brass at other clubs (in this case, Spurs) thought they could pull a fast one on us given our track record. The way Villa are portrayed in the media, you'd think a bunch of drunk monkeys run our club. That perception probably persists even in the backrooms of other clubs.

The defeatists saying they would take 30m are mostly the same that said 16m and ireland for milner was a great deal, but it wasn't it was shit as for all ireland's talent he produced **** all and the rest was spunked on Bent who is now seen as a collosal waste of money.  Benteke has shown top and potential world class capabilities and IS performing EXCEPTIONALLY. Three 10m players is BS it doesn't guarantee shit. Jarvis went for 10 million last summer! Benteke is our tailsman!

We have the a genuine wrecking ball of a striker with over twenty goals last season plus 8 or 9 assists, all our attacking play came through him, losing him would be a massive loss! We cannot keep selling our best players and be stuck with the failures. Thats why we were in last seasons predicament! Everton have less money poorer facilities less trophys in the cabinet yet only lost Rooney and Lescott to big clubs in moyes 9 year stint. We lost Barry, Milner, Downing, Young in the space of 3 seasons and it was nearly catastrophic! Randy has learnt his leason our rebuilding job would be back at where we were last summer if Benteke leaves. 

All this is why I am convinced all the paper talk is agents and journalist only concerned with their own interests (making money and selling newspaper) and not the truth! He is not for sale!

STOP TAKING SO MUCH NOTICE OF THE PROPAGANDA PEDDLERS!!!!!!!

• Like 1

i have no doubt in my mind that this is all made up by the press....

bentekkers is on holiday and has been somewhat effectively gagged by his agent, and nothing is coming out of villa park or PL.

as such, everything else is pure speculation....

having said that, i am glad that someone has thrown some speculation from our side of the fence, and have used a valuation of 40m in there....

even if it isn't our statement of intent, its a good one....

Edited by rodigan

Everton have less money poorer facilities less trophys in the cabinet yet only lost Rooney and Lescott to big clubs in moyes 9 year stint.

I'll take your Rooney and Lescott and raise you a Rodwell, Arteta and a Pienaar.

Not to say Moyes didn't do a great job, but this glorification of Everton's ability to hold on to their best players is as irrational as the people putting any faith in something The Mirror said. Which they backed up with a sum total of zero quotes and no mention of a source.

Edited by Vancvillan

Trouble is we are a stepping stone club. Players come here to put themselves in the window, not as a long term option. Now you can use that to you advantage as a club but it does depend upon you actually being willing / prepared to let the players leave. If you , as a club, demonstrate a reluctance , in fact put blockers on those players then being able to leave and further their career then all you do is restrict your ability to be able to attract them in the first place.

Key players will leave unless your team is a champions league regular thats the state of play in football these days, but players leaving after one season is bullshit.  Benteke would have known when he arrived he would be expected to be here at least 2 seasons. The point is if at the end of every season your best player leave your team is buggared there will be no progression! If that one player every 2 season then you can say we can build.  We lost four players in three seasons and that left a top 6 team fighting relegation for 3 seasons after that.  Lets look at tottenham, they only lost Berbertov, Modric and Carrick in the last 6 or 7 years, Bale's been meant to be going for the last 2 seasons still there and I would bet against him still being there in september. You have to keep your top players for as long as possible!

We have the strike force at Villa capable of firing us into the champions league no doubt, but we need to galvanise the defence and add creativity to the midfield.  Two real quality players and our first team would be similar in ability to Tottenham, and better than Everton (imo).  If that is backed up by signing a couple of talented fullbacks and players such as Delph, Westwood and Sylla build on their good second half of the season we would get top 8 for sure, and stand a chance in the cups. Then if we lose Benteke for megabucks we have a nice base in place, right we don't have that base so losing Benteke is out of the question. Having a guy like him in the teams makes it easier for the rest as we know we have goals and pentetration.

Â