Christian Benteke

Kwan

and my final point on the matter is that if Villa did decide to play hardball, could they afford to do so? the cost of CB languishing in the reserves for a season is not astronomical.... i would have thought we could identify and buy say a 10m striker from europe in the CB at Genk mold, without throwing all of the other plans out of the window.... he would be supported by an inform gabby and andi w.

in that situation, what choice does CB have? he can throw away his world cup dreams, or he can sign a good contract that we are prepared to offer him, have a bumper year, which increases his value and the clubs coming in for him, and then leave with our blessing after the world cup for some of the valuations that i am hearing on here...

and what a message that would send to the players, and other clubs, who think that villa remains a selling club...

and my final point on the matter is that if Villa did decide to play hardball, could they afford to do so? the cost of CB languishing in the reserves for a season is not astronomical.... i would have thought we could identify and buy say a 10m striker from europe in the CB at Genk mold, without throwing all of the other plans out of the window.... he would be supported by an inform gabby and andi w.

in that situation, what choice does CB have? he can throw away his world cup dreams, or he can sign a good contract that we are prepared to offer him, have a bumper year, which increases his value and the clubs coming in for him, and then leave with our blessing after the world cup for some of the valuations that i am hearing on here...

and what a message that would send to the players, and other clubs, who think that villa remains a selling club...

Agreed, this would send a pretty powerful message, and would shift the power back to the manager, after so many years of giving into our player's demands for move. 

Couple of sources saying Liverpool are interested.

Anyone but them..

No chance, cant afford him and what would be the point to Benteke in going there? He's good enough to go to a club in the Champions League, or at worst a club who has a realistic chance of closesly competing for the top 4. Liverpool simply wont be.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Anyone but them..

No chance, cant afford him and what would be the point to Benteke in going there? He's good enough to go to a club in the Champions League, or at worst a club who has a realistic chance of closesly competing for the top 4. Liverpool simply wont be.

I think the idea would be that Liverpool went for him *IF* they sell Suarez so they would have the money to afford Benteke. The rest of your point stands though. Benteke can do better.

I don't agree that we hold all the cards. If Bentekke pushes for a move - he will get it. We can't complain to much, because thats how we got him from Genk. In theory we can hold him to his contract - in practice thats a lot more difficult. I think he will move for around £23m.

Agreed, this would send a pretty powerful message, and would shift the power back to the manager, after so many years of giving into our player's demands for move. 

We should hold out for a minimum of £30m if not more. If he wants to move and we get this sort of money and he moves overseas then this would probably be the best outcome for us.

And if his suitors don't stump that amount and he goes on strike - come 1st Sept if he's still with us he'll have to get his act together otherwise his World Cup place is in jeopardy.

I honestly think we're in a win win situation as long as Lerner and Lambert play hardball and stick to a valuation of at least £30m.

Don't forget that if he puts in a transfer request then he forgoes his payment from the deal. This would almost certainly mean the club would accept a smaller offer than most are suggesting but still make the same profit.

Edited by AndyClarke

Anyone but them..

I can 100% confirm Liverpool have made an enquiry.  But its just an enquiry.  What that enquiry entailed, i don’ t know.  Probably are we willing to sell and what the fee is. 

I know not much to go on, but the rumors are true on contact from them.

Why are you all cackling like hens over an article without any quotes?
I allready got a chick saying "HAS CHRISTIAN BENETEKKKE ALLREAADY PLAyEDH HIS LAST EVER GAME FOR AStON VILLAAH" whenever I try to read a post on VillaTalk.

• Like 2

If we are going to sell Benteke this summer i hope the club are smart about this. I'd rather we buy a replacement first before making it known to clubs that we have 30m million burning a hole in our pocket.

Yep, I think all the signs are there. We need to line up a replacement, quick. When a player get this much interest from other clubs and has been our best player of the season, we all know what the conclusion is. I'm not convinced that Liverpool have the pull they think they do anymore though; that racist-biting gimp might well be their last big name signing for a while...

I know we all have our own opinions on Liverpool, but I think CB's head will turn if they are in for him. Of course we can always stand firm and say no whatever the price is on offer, and CB will have to play for us especially it is the season before the World Cup, but I really won't be surprise if CB goes to Liverpool if they do match our demands.

ST sales would absolutely plummet if we sold him now.

I will be more annoyed if villa string this out and then sell him on the eve of the season when the ST sales are in the bag.

ST sales would absolutely plummet if we sold him now.

I will be more annoyed if villa string this out and then sell him on the eve of the season when the ST sales are in the bag.

To be fair - most clubs offer a refund in such cases. - and if we sell him before a ball is kicked (ie your season ticket is unused) - you can get a refund as it stands.

Nah.. can't see the Liverpool thing tbh... Not even in the Champs League...

Liverpool 2010-2020 = Villa 1990 - 2000 in my opinion... Living on past glories.

In that respect you could say in some bizarre kind of way we are ahead of them as we have already hopefully done our transition into a new streamlined club. Now we just need to build a good team & repair the clubs severely damaged reputation thus filling out Villa Park again & hopefully expansion, European football & trophies as a result.... a few years off yet mind!...

I see Liverpool as not having quite realized yet that they need to follow a similar path. They still think they are a bully when in fact nobody else is scared of them anymore...

I can see CB going to London IF he moves & even that may not be until next season... May depend on his family though..he did say he would speak with his family about it so i guess it depends if they are settled in the area or not?

Â