Christian Benteke

Kwan

Liverpool are ready to match Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke's £32.5m buy-out clause. (Daily Express)

@TeleFootball: Liverpool will match £32.5m buy-out in Christian Benteke contract.

I'd love to keep him but he doesn't want to play for us, he hasn't for a while. £30 million isn't a bad return and without that money we probably don't have all that much to spend and we have quite a few issues around the pitch that need sorting. So without the money coming in from him we would probably stay with a similar team to last season and most teams just doubled up on Benteke which meant he was very quiet so perhaps this gives us a chance to buy a handful of players who are able to find the back of the net rather than just one. 

I don't like to see us sell our best players, but I think we could come out stronger if he does leave for the 32.5m.

He's been a revelation and it's probably fair to say without him we may not have survived in the PL, but our style of play and attacking focus has become so dependant on getting the ball to Benteke so we are starting look very one dimensional, and teams know that if they mark him out of the game we have little to no other attacking threats, short of speculative shots from outside the box.

If does leave and we reinvest that money wisely to beef up the midfield (looks like that will happen any ways), and bring in a proven goal scorer, I think we've come out the other side with a better balanced dare I say stronger side.

• Like 1

Looks like they're the only club that wants him (other than us of course).

This, IMO, is the reality if it all. Not quite the "Barcelona class" people think he is.

He's just a very good player, for villa. I'm really excited about how we can improve the team as a whole with the 32million...we can have a better team than one that relies on benteke's non-lazy days to stay up.

We need to add other dimensions, because benteke is only good when the team is good most of the time...and that's not good for a team like us. I call it a single point of failure.

But if he goes, I want the money...the whole money and nothing but the money

• Like 2

you never know.. once one club triggers the clause.. another one or two might want to bid.. i doubt it but you never know.. Atletico? Wolfsburg may be a bit more his level...  Possibly even Chelsea? Would Man Utd need another striker? Who knows really. Probably the price putting these clubs off.

I still wouldn't be surprised if Man United have their eye on how things are progressing with him.

If they're getting rid of RVP then Rooney is really their only senior striker.

They'll almost certainly be in the market for another striker, their current style would suit Benteke, they're spending money like it's going out of fashion so they probably wouldn't be bothered about the price, and he's torn them a new one on a couple of occasions so they're probably well aware of what he can do.

• Like 1

you never know.. once one club triggers the clause.. another one or two might want to bid.. i doubt it but you never know.. Atletico? Wolfsburg may be a bit more his level...  Possibly even Chelsea? Would Man Utd need another striker? Who knows really. Probably the price putting these clubs off.

Yes, why would anyone rush into signing him when he is available for £32.5 mill up till the last day of the transfer window - can deffo see Man U in for him.

Today shows just how far the written press has fallen. The Express say LFC will pay the buyout even going as far as mocking up Benteke in a LFC shirt. Then it's reported by others in their rumours section which adds weight to it! So basically one paper makes up a story then another reports it. They're just as bad as Twitter! I can't see LFC going from £20m to £32.5m just like that. It's the Barry situation all over again for me. I think Rodgers will be gone by Xmas anyway. He's not a fans favourite he's got rid of the former LFC players in his back room staff and have a tricky start especially with their fans expecting to challenge for the Prem. apart from one season when they had Suarez on fire they're in the Europa slots we will hopefully be aiming for again soon. The only problem with buyout clauses is if someone comes in very late for him and we can't reinvest the money so I hope TS. gets into him this week and gets a commitment to stay if as Lambert did before no one has met the buyout by a certain date.

£32m is a lot of money, I think it's a fair price, he's an excellent player, but unproven at the top level. Of course, playing for Villa, that's not his fault, but I think it's difficult to expect massive fees for players who are not standouts at international level (Benteke's record is hardly good for Belgium) or have not done it in the champions league. 

Hopefully, if he does leave, we can invest this money smartly. A quality striker will be an absolute must.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I still wouldn't be surprised if Man United have their eye on how things are progressing with him.

They'll almost certainly be in the market for another striker, their current style would suit Benteke, they're spending money like it's going out of fashion so they probably wouldn't be bothered about the price, and he's torn them a new one on a couple of occasions so they're probably well aware of what he can do.

Money to spend, and they know of the release clause...if they were interested, why would they wait?

I hope he is shit for them. Cant believe he wd go to them.

I hope he suffers the same fate as Djibril Cisse or Pierluigi Casiragi...

Arrives to much aplomb and bravado... then suffers a severe injury...

Once he no longer wears our teams colours, I care nothing for the bloke... This isn't like Andy Carroll who actually wanted to stay in Newcastle and was forced out by Mike 'Show me the money' Ashley... This is a man who will not sign a new contract, will not devote himself to us and will not publically tell his shithead little word removed of an agent to **** off and die...

I suppose I'll bite.

Very poor words imo, especially about him getting an injury.

I don't want him to get injured but if he joined Liverpool I'd be quite happy watching his career go the way of balotelli, "fans" trying to hound him out of anfield before he's even kicked a ball for them followed by some piss poor performances

Wow the Express 'mock up' photo of him wearing a Liverpool jersey is pure comedy gold....

Seems they've let a 16 yo summer intern loose on the Photoshop computer, are we now supposed to believe that a deal is 'imminent' on the strength of that...

So so sad, I really feel sorry for the people that have to work for those gutter press tabloids.

Edited by tylerreznik

Money to spend, and they know of the release clause...if they were interested, why would they wait?

Other targets, maybe?

Maybe they think we'd accept less if time goes on (which i don't think we will, but doesn't mean they wouldn't think it)

Dunno, could well be wrong. I just find it hard to believe they wouldn't have considered him.

The cold hard truth is he wanted to go to Spurs and he's never had any loyalty to villa, although his goals kept us in the league it's only injury that has kept him at the club this long.

On that basis it's quite hard to really feel anything regarding his sale, he'll be a huge loss but as long as we get the full fee

And reinvest wisely I can feel very little emotion for someone who has no love for the club whatsoever.

Although no player wants to fight relegation every season.

Â