Christian Benteke

Kwan

The rest of the team has scored 9 in 19. We're also one of the worst teams in the league for creating chances.

Those are the issues.

I think our lack of creativity is far more of a concern than benteke didn't make the run a few people on here wanted him to make today.

"Benteke didn't make the run a few people on here wanted him to make today"

The run, Singular? He is obviously still getting back to match sharpness for sure but Benteke's movement is probably his weakest point. He strays offside far too often and lately he has been making the same run to the back post over and over. I think he much prefers the back post run, He does it often from corners and freekicks for example, however the mark of good striker is making a variety of runs, look at Costa for instance.

A few people? Its far more than that, don't try and play it down by saying its only a few.

Today? Again, this has been mentioned multiple times over the course of his time here. Its only coming to the forefront now because we rely on him so much, particularly this season. That isn't his fault and in many ways I understand his frustration but he is far from the finished article and he needs to not be getting his team mates backs because they haven't managed to make the pass he wants when he isn't really busting a gut to get into the best position for them.

I love Benteke, he is a joy to watch at times and I hope it continues but the criticism of him is fair, especially when everyone else seems fair game.

• Like 1

Sorry to bring this up again "sexbelowsound", but the biggest problem for Benteke is the creatvity, an this my friend, is down to ya ole pal Lambert!!

I don't disagree with that at all. I think you give Benteke the right service and he will score, he is just that type of player. Right now though I think he could do better with what he has.

but the criticism of him is fair

In the match thread you said he doesnt want to play for us anymore. That's fair criticism?

I said he was playing like he isn't interested in playing for us anymore. By that I meant his attitude is lacking and he doesn't seem to be fully committed. So yes.

Bare in mind you are constantly saying "Let's spend the Benteke money" or "Benteke will be gone in the Summer" I ask you, do you think he is fully committed to the club?

I believe he will be sold in the summer but I don't think he lacks commitment when playing.

He had a bad game, he's not perfect. It was only just over a week a go he was bullying the team in 3rd and scoring a wonder goal.

And if you think he's playing like he doesn't want to be here what do you think of Lambert if he continues to pick him?

I think we can all agree - scapegoating aside - that there is a woeful lack of understanding at present between Benteke and the rest of the team. This isn't about creativity (although our midfield is crying out for that) but about simple communication about where it's best for Benteke to be positioned and where midfielders/wingers should be trying to place their passes.

This is simple, basic stuff that should be sorted out in coaching but I suspect our coaching is well below premier league standards at present and this is an abiding and serious problem.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 4

I believe he will be sold in the summer but I don't think he lacks commitment when playing.

He had a bad game, he's not perfect. It was only just over a week a go he was bullying the team in 3rd and scoring a wonder goal.

And if you think he's playing like he doesn't want to be here what do you think of Lambert if he continues to pick him?

See, Now i've said this multiple times but i'll say it again. I think Lambert has many, many flaws and Is far from perfect.

If Benteke has lost interest then his place should be up for grabs, just like Vlaar and Delph's should be. Lets be honest though, a completely uninterested Benteke is better than our alternatives.

Lambert wouldn't drop him either. Lambert clearly has his favourites which is one of his biggest downsides.

Frustration, communication etc is all by the by really.

At present we ask him to be our target man to flick on headers, bring the ball down from any aimless long ball and bring others into play. He also has to drop deep and create chances for others. He has to be playmaker, create his own chances out of nothing and be there to finish of chances the odd time someone managed to create one. Give it a week and we'll be asking him to run the wings as well!

Point being we ask him to do too much he is by far our best player not even part of the problems we have

• Like 3

There are many of our players that come up short when you analyse them from game to game....I think the progress that is peddled in some quarters is smoke and mirrors.

You could appraise every player and come up with short comings....To keep getting players sent off is only a measure of frustration that seems to have gripped the team.

The problem with Benteke is that he can muster World class moments in a game, but can't muster world class performances....when that happens " get out of Jail Cards" are dished out, when in fact he was poor today...his movement and off the ball work was uninspiring.

Would it be fair to say he is overrated, maybe,  but while he gives us what he does, irrespective of the magical moments...this 25-30m price tag will be a pipe dream.

He goes missing or plays some ordinary football for decent periods of a game to be labelled with the accolades that some fans are willing to bestow on him.

We are a team that have a number of International players playing for us....for me, something is most seriously wrong for us to be continually flirting with relegation and citing claims of mitigation, when we have taken the points we have at  home.

In my humble opinion we are a team of woeful under achievers.

• Like 2

Frustration, communication etc is all by the by really.

At present we ask him to be our target man to flick on headers, bring the ball down from any aimless long ball and bring others into play. He also has to drop deep and create chances for others. He has to be playmaker, create his own chances out of nothing and be there to finish of chances the odd time someone managed to create one. Give it a week and we'll be asking him to run the wings as well!

Point being we ask him to do too much he is by far our best player not even part of the problems we have

we may be asking all of those things....but if he puts the ball in the net, he will get away without doing most of them.

I watched him today and his overall play was iffy....and thats another reason why he didn't score. Its ok blaming the service and every other reason but he has to help himself too....not saying the service to him is great but it is a team game and it takes two toTango....players on the ball have to find a player too don't forget, he must create better movement too.

stop feeling so sorry for these guys, He is our best player and thats why we expect that bit more.

Edited by TRO

Hopefully he can take this constructive criticism on board and improve a poor goal scoring record for this club.

36 goals in 77 games in a largely average side? Poor goal-scoring? If he was the finished article by now he would not be at Villa.

I believe he was trying to be thesicious, but I could be wrong. 

Crikey, is that the first time this word has been used on Villatalk?  :)

Yes, I have certainly never heard it before. You learn something every day.

And the post has made it onto Google!

• Like 1

Benteke has to understand that playing up front for a side in the lower half of the prem  will mean long periods of isolation and few chances in many games. No team in the lower half has a creative midfielder of the calibre that many are campaigning for.

Most chances come from balls played diagonally or from wide positions. We rely on Gabby & Weiman, backed up by Hutton & Cissokho and sometimes the midfield three.

In that type of formation, you have to accept that a creative midfielder alone is going to be a luxury and that more will be required from him. That type of player is way out of our price range. This leaves the full backs and the wide players to look at. Hutton is good going forward, Ally is not so good but they are our best full back pairing for 3 years at least. This leaves Gabby & Weiman who both work so hard for the team. Both are limited IMO and if I were to rebuild the side, these are the positions I'd look at first. Grealish looks to offer more going forward but little tracking back. For me, there is no right or wrong way to play football. We'd all probably choose different formations and players.

As far as Benteke is concerned, he must accept where Villa are at this moment in time and that chances will be few & far between. It didn't stop him joining us did it?

I like the patient build up and want to see how it pans out between now & May. Pumping long balls is not the answer-it looks like Lambert is trying to do something positive regarding creativity. It won't happen overnight so Benteke needs to knuckle down and show us all that he's the player who deserves all these chances to be given him on a plate.

I think we can all agree - scapegoating aside - that there is a woeful lack of understanding at present between Benteke and the rest of the team. This isn't about creativity (although our midfield is crying out for that) but about simple communication about where it's best for Benteke to be positioned and where midfielders/wingers should be trying to place their passes.

This is simple, basic stuff that should be sorted out in coaching but I suspect our coaching is well below premier league standards at present and this is an abiding and serious problem.

I think this is particularly noticeable in the general build up play as well. Benteke has been really poor with his build up play recently but half the time its him passing the ball into an area he expects a player to be.

If Benteke wants to lampoon players for not playing the ball where he wants it, he should accept responsibility for rarely being in the right position in the box. Where was he on the Grealish cross? Why wasn't he making a run the second Jack went towards the line? Why does he always run back post?

• Like 1

If Benteke wants to lampoon players for not playing the ball where he wants it, he should accept responsibility for rarely being in the right position in the box. Where was he on the Grealish cross? Why wasn't he making a run the second Jack went towards the line? Why does he always run back post?

I think Benteke is smart and knows what he's doing and where he needs/wants to be to score. Dont doubt that for a second - he's got plenty of evidence to back it up. If you analyze every step the guy makes of course there will be mistakes - as with most, if not all players.

HOWEVER i do think the way he reacts to not getting his way is hot headed and disrespectful, he could explain things to his teammates cooly and they'd listen and want to get it right. Honestly if anyone shouts at me like that for doing something wrong it doesn't make me want to work for/with them. 

• Like 1

Benteke has to understand that playing up front for a side in the lower half of the prem  will mean long periods of isolation and few chances in many games. No team in the lower half has a creative midfielder of the calibre that many are campaigning for.

Most chances come from balls played diagonally or from wide positions. We rely on Gabby & Weiman, backed up by Hutton & Cissokho and sometimes the midfield three.

In that type of formation, you have to accept that a creative midfielder alone is going to be a luxury and that more will be required from him. That type of player is way out of our price range. This leaves the full backs and the wide players to look at. Hutton is good going forward, Ally is not so good but they are our best full back pairing for 3 years at least. This leaves Gabby & Weiman who both work so hard for the team. Both are limited IMO and if I were to rebuild the side, these are the positions I'd look at first. Grealish looks to offer more going forward but little tracking back. For me, there is no right or wrong way to play football. We'd all probably choose different formations and players.

As far as Benteke is concerned, he must accept where Villa are at this moment in time and that chances will be few & far between. It didn't stop him joining us did it?

I like the patient build up and want to see how it pans out between now & May. Pumping long balls is not the answer-it looks like Lambert is trying to do something positive regarding creativity. It won't happen overnight so Benteke needs to knuckle down and show us all that he's the player who deserves all these chances to be given him on a plate.

Unfortunately he owes us nothing, If we don't create for him he will leave end of!! If I were Lambert I would be doing the best I could to get the ball to him, he is the only one who  can get the goals we are gagging for.

& if we do create do you think he'll stay?

He owes us a minimum of 100% effort to justify something like £2.5 million a year in wages that he is paid. I wish people would stop thinking these prima donas are doing us favours.

As far as getting the ball to Benteke is concerned, do you not think Lambert has thought of this? Just a stab in the dark like. What do you suggest pump long balls in to him from all angles & sacrifice all attempts to play the ball on the ground?

He owes us a minimum of 100% effort to justify something like £2.5 million a year in wages that he is paid. I wish people would stop thinking these prima donas are doing us favours.

As far as getting the ball to Benteke is concerned, do you not think Lambert has thought of this? Just a stab in the dark like. What do you suggest pump long balls in to him from all angles & sacrifice all attempts to play the ball on the ground?

Errr, if it makes goals yeah! If this possession football don't work and we still can't score goals Lambert will have no choice but to change it anyway, he will have to.

Errr, if it makes goals yeah! If this possession football don't work and we still can't score goals Lambert will have no choice but to change it anyway, he will have to.

Well, it needs to be a mix of both. Why is so difficult to comprehend this.

It is all very well to tell them to play out from the back, but look at the number of times recently it has nearly got us in trouble.

Do our players not even have the brains to know when to play it long, I was embarrassed for them.

• Like 1

Â