Christian Benteke

Kwan

very stupid thing to do, regardless of the provocation but was that really 'violent play'??? 

I recall when Torres scratched his hand across Vertonghen's face last season, which was much worse than this and bugger all happened afterwards.

I would still chuck in an appeal to get it reduced as Benteke was 'pushing' Mason's head out of his face.

If we appeal and it fails though, doesn't he get a longer ban?

No I don't think so.

Only if it's a completely frivolous appeal.

But we won't appeal it. It's a clear red card. It seems harsh to be banned for 3 games because of it, but dem de rules.

Whats shocking to me about the rules as they are, is that no spurs player can be retrospectively banned based on replays. Just because the ref saw what happened, but decided that he quite liked the look of their kit, they get away with everything they did and we are lumped with our biggest threat out for three games because he cant keep his hands to himself. The change in rules needs to be a ban based on the severity of the violent conduct and allowing retrospective action, not allowing benteke to get away with shoving someone.

If someone confront you in the street by shouldering you in the back and then ramming his face into yours and you then pushed his face away only one of you would ever be described as displaying violent conduct. 

I don't actually think the raising of a hand into an opponents face is in the rules.

It's more of an unwritten rule that refs go by. I could be wrong, but I still think the ref has to deem to raising of the hand to be an act of violent conduct.

There is no defence for Benteke whatsoever.

Had a Spurs player pushed a Villa player in the same way, we would have been baying for him to be sent off.

So if you are on a football field in front of 30,000 animated fans, get headbutted, verbally and physically abused you would keep your cool?

By the 'letter of the law' Benteke should have been sent off, the law is a **** joke.

• Like 2

Had a Spurs player pushed a Villa player in the same way, we would have been baying for him to be sent off.

So if you are on a football field in front of 30,000 animated fans, get headbutted, verbally and physically abused you would keep your cool?

By the 'letter of the law' Benteke should have been sent off, the law is a **** joke.

what was said then ? The verbal abuse ?

what was said then ? The verbal abuse ?

I am not a lip reader but I am pretty sure Mason wasn't saying "excuse me old chap, I hope you don't mind that I have just headbutted you" and was it Soldado who grabbed him with both hands "Nice shirt fella, may I get a closer look"

Benteke has every sympathy for me, yes, he reacted but most people would in front of such provication. Just a shame that the ref, his assistants and the 4th official all failed to do their job.

• Like 1

True!

In reallity the only way Tekkers could deal with this situation would be to (and I hate to say it) drop to the ground when Mason pushed his head into his face, like he had been shot by a sniper out of the Trinity? These days in the PL and world football the only winners are the cheats!

It's horrible to say but these days you have to be clever!

• Like 1

True!

In reallity the only way Tekkers could deal with this situation would be to (and I hate to say it) drop to the ground when Mason pushed his head into his face, like he had been shot by a sniper out of the Trinity? These days in the PL and world football the only winners are the cheats!

It's horrible to say but these days you have to be clever!

indeed, like it or not it's the curl of the burl in the footballing world. I do think that retroactive analysis should be part of the decisions when it comes to red cards seeing as they have such a massive impact on games and teams (in terms of bans). really, what is so outrageous about that? I really hope we try to at least contest the 3 match ban.

That's part of the problem, an established Belgian international is getting out smarted by a kid with half of his experience. We're just a team of very poor decision makers.

Yep.

We're 1 nil up against a increasingly frustrated team for Christ's sake; laugh in his face wind him up further or, god forgive me for suggesting it, make a meal of the butt to try and get him sent off. Instead he reacts idiotically costs us the game and our best player for an additional three games.

That's part of the problem, an established Belgian international is getting out smarted by a kid with half of his experience. We're just a team of very poor decision makers.

Yep.

We're 1 nil up against a increasingly frustrated team for Christ's sake; laugh in his face wind him up further or, god forgive me for suggesting it, make a meal of the butt to try and get him sent off. Instead he reacts idiotically costs us the game and our best player for an additional three games.

That probably would have affected the outcome of the game a bit more positively.

I find it funny how players like Mason square up to big players knowing they are protected by TV and the ref and that the other player cant do anything, try that down your local 5 a side you will be on the floor pretty quickly.

If you are going to provoke someone you should punished for that it's hardly in the spirit of the game. Balotelli is known for reacting so every game now someone is trying to get him sent off.

Edited by AndyM3000

The only justice would be if Chadli breaks Mason's leg in training.

That's a bit much

Yeah but I'm angry and I really don't want to see tactics like those employed by Mason present in the game at all.

What like our tactics to kick and wind up Balotelli? I have no problem with it tbh. Players with fiery temperaments should and are targeted.

The only justice would be if Chadli breaks Mason's leg in training.

That's a bit much
Yeah but I'm angry and I really don't want to see tactics like those employed by Mason present in the game at all.
What like our tactics to kick and wind up Balotelli? I have no problem with it tbh. Players with fiery temperaments should and are targeted.

There's winding up and then there's slamming someone in the back and sticking your head in their face.

Fwiw, Senderos' trip on Balotelli was horrendous too.

Â