Christian Benteke

Kwan

i did not see the footage live because club brugge was playing aswell, but i have seen them now and my conclusion is: yes it is not the smartest thing to do but you should consider that if someone put his face against me your natural reaction is to push him away. it is not like he decided to push him it happens in a split second. so yes it could be a red card but that guy who provoked him should have been sent off aswell. i would have given both players yellow. but sending one off and leave the other player unpunished on is just unfair. but please dont be angry on him.

Is it alright if we direct our anger at Vertonghen's various assaults instead? ;)

yes i am angry on him aswell. he made some dangerous actions he was lucky not to get sent off.

I don't think anyone is saying he wasn't provoked and obviously there were challenges in the game that also deserved a red card. However, having seen the reply Benteke knows you can't raise your hands and irrelevant of how much he actually hurt the spurs player, he still slapped him. No arguments about his red.

I still say that didn't cost us, but sitting back and not pressing (which Benteke doesn't particularly do) cost be more.

Based on today he is a complete and utter b*ll *nd who should hang is head in shame. Cost us a much needed three points.

Targeted.....reacted.....red card....well played by Spurs

I lost a lot of respect for him today

Provoked or not, he's put us in a really shit situation here. 

Our fantastic start to the season was done without Benteke. With Benteke in the team, we also lost to QPR and matches before that without scoring.

Benteke alone does not make us or determine our chances of winning games.

Play with some heart like today and the first few games of the season and we'll be winning (at least some) games, Benteke or not.

Play like the insipid and hapless manner we did against QPR or Everton and we won't win even if Benteke was in.

• Like 2

He was sent off for 'violent conduct', I saw no violence apart from a shoulder charge and head thrust from their little toe rag.

This is why refereeing is so **** up - there's no consistency. I can accept that in the modern game that is enough to get you a red card but by that same token Mason should also have been sent off for "violent conduct".

Common sense should be allowed a bit of prevalence otherwise they might as well have robot referees.

Actually, do you think Villa could get some good robot players?

Edited by Wainy316

Â