Nicklas Helenius (AaB)

SikhInTrinity

Interesting he seems to have the David Luiz sidefoot from hell in locker from free-kicks.

Good stuff.

Yeah, seems like he can place 'em or lace 'em with minimal backlift. We're shaping up to be a real shooting side this year!

• Like 1

That first goal rules out and any comparison with Crouch.

Just catching up on the last couple of pages and the main point I've picked up is you seem to have a strange obsession with Crouch. :L

Edited by limvillian

That first goal rules out and any comparison with Crouch.

Just catching up on the last couple of pages and the main point I've picked up is you seem to have a strange obsession with Crouch. :L

I just don't think he's actually that good so don't think the comparison is fair.

He looks fantastic in that video as well.

I don't care what league you play in some of those finishes were excellent.

I agree, and for a lad his height he doesn't look 'gangly' and awkward. He could maybe do with putting on a stone of muscle, but that will come in time I'm sure.

I'm wondering if this is the result of Henke's work, or if PL has been keeping tabs on this boy for a couple of years?

Edited by Woody1000

I'm wondering if this is the result of Henke's work, or if PL has been keeping tabs on this boy for a couple of years?

I really hope this is all lambert and we can look forward to this most summers.

My worry is this was the list Henke left us with.

Really doubt Lambert has the time to travel the world (or mostly Europe) to scout players while at the same time manage and coach the team:

If this is the case then well done for finding some good players, but in the future maybe he should focus on organizing the defence and hire some scouts to do the scouting?

Just a little extra video for you guys. Here are some extra and new goals, i have'nt seen in your linked videos.

after 1.15 a long shot in a training match (the guy dribling and assisting is Lucas Andersen at age 17 - already sold to Ajax)

From 2.02 to 2.25 there are 3 new goals to youtube - his first header goal, a placed shot and his second header goal (a lot better than the first)

2.37 - 2.49 a further 2 new goals to youtube, 1st knocking the ball past the keeper, the 2nd a little 'lucky' drible and a shot surprising the keeper

2.54 - stunning placed long shot, i could not belive it when he did it :) it came out of nowhere after an anonymous display in that match, as far as i remember

3.35 chipping the keeper

link:

I have no doubt, that he needs to step up in order to be a starter in Villa, as Papillion is writing. There is never a guarantee that players succed when moving on to a higher level. As there will be no guarantee with Okore neither. But i believe that both players definetely have the potential and Lambert is a manager that can help them fulfill it. They have both turned down big clubs (Okore - Chelsea, Helenius - Sporting CP) because they did not provide them with a good plan - they both feel that Villa i right and have thought it through.

A little story on Helenius. I don't know how your youth league structure is exactly, but in Denmark we have the "ynglinge"-league as the last step before senior leavel. This is the age groups 17 and 18 years old, so 1st and 2nd year players. Helenius was given a youth-contract but was dissapointing as 1st year. The youth coaches evaluated him and said, that they almost regretted handing him a contract. He told in an interview later, that he was kind of furious - thinking "i will show them". As 2nd year he was the profile and top scorer on the team, i don't remember if he was top scorer of the league as well.

He now moved up as a senior. In the first ½season he started ot being substituted on late in the game and endning op playing full matches at the winter break (16 games of 19 played - 7 first games coming in from the bench for averagely 15 minutes, last 9 games he started 8 where 3 was full time playing 85 minutes on average). he bagged 5 goals, made 2 assists. The team was however playing really bad facing relegation, so it was decided over the winter to spend a considerable amount getting a few experienced players in, among others an attacker on loan. We ended up being seconds away from relegation, but saved our a** - that is another story. With the experienced attacker joining the squad, Helenius ended up on the bench in the spring matches and did not score for the entire spring. He told that he was frustrated that they did not trust him to do the job and help save the club, and once again was decided to prove his worth to the team, when the experienced attacker left us over the summer. Helenius was once again trusted as our primary attacker and has since steadily improved to be our best player, making 14 goals and 7 assist in his first season and 16 goals and 7 assist in the second season, playing in 65 of 66 matches.

Every time he has been determined to prove himself he has succeded in the past. Steadily improving. Now some people in Denmark are saying, Helenius can't make it in PL yet, he should go to a dutch team first and develop further. He favours the PL and you can hear in the interviews with him in danish media, that Lambert have told him his plans and he is really happy with it - loving the prospect of playing for a club like Villa. I am sure he will be determined, and even if You doubt him, I might doubt him - will he fulfill the potential - i'm certain he will do hist utmost to one day be one of the first names on Lamberts block, when setting the starting 11.

With my knowledge of Helenius, for 1.5M, i would definetely risk taking him in. I watched a 1-2 defeat to Arsenal at Villa Park back in december 2007 i think, with Laursen putting in a good display in the back. I hope to return in a few years, seeing Helenius bagging a goal or two - and despite any doubts, i think there is a good chance of that coming true.

Cracking post thank you

Why all the Crouch dissing? I think he was a cracking player in his prime and if Helenius becomes that good (in his own different way) I would be delghted.

Just remember, that for every goal, he has probably missed a chance or two as well. For instance the free kick, there have probably been 10 before and after, where it has ended up a bit over goal or right in the keepers arms. I think the important thing is the ability to get to these chances and the ability to make these goals, the succes rate can always be improved - you can't teach everybody to shoot like D. Luiz for instance. Also the goals where he just places a weak shot in the second before the keeper expect it (for instance 1.40 into the video above), if the keeper does pick it up - Helenius comes off looking a bit stupid. But he is ready to do it again a second later, and when it is succesful, it is the keeper that comes off looking stupid. He has something, that you can't just train to be good at.

Here is a last video with a few extra goals, just to show that he can also make an easy goal from time to time, though not being his speciality. 1.11, 1.51, 2.14 and 2.23 in, there are som poachers goals and also a few penalty scorings in there as well. Enjoy :)

• Like 2

Why all the Crouch dissing? I think he was a cracking player in his prime and if Helenius becomes that good (in his own different way) I would be delghted.

I agree there's a reason he played for some big teams.