Nicklas Helenius (AaB)

SikhInTrinity

I do to a certain extent agree with the former oppinions from Danish supporters in this thread on Helenius.

I do see him as a long-term Investment for the Club as he is not ready to play at PrL level yet.

There is no doubt that he is talented. He is technically good but, as mentioned earlier, weak in the aerial play. At a long-term level he could develop to a player at a high level due to his talent. I would be very surprised to see him in the start-up line this year. He has earlier stated that his aim was Dutch football or English football if the Club were ready to Invest the necessary time and education in him before he was able to play in the PrL.

Quite a lot in this thread are impressed with his many goals. It should be noted that he is also the player in the Superliga that has used most attempts to score his goals. I do not think that he would get as many chances to score in the PrL.

Being up against quality players I find him to weak yet. For instance Okore never had a problem controlling him. Helenius has never scored against FC Nordsjælland with Okore in the start-up line.

He has also scored at the U-21 National team. But this has been against nations such as Faro Islands, Macedonia, Nothern Ireland and Serbia.

Helenius is not at traditional targetman with his week aerial play. He does however impress with his number of assists.

There is no doubt that Helenius is talented. On a long term he could be an interesting player for Villa. Do however not expect to much of him the first year.

The more I hear, the more he sounds like Peter Crouch :) And the more it sounds like he's similar to Jordan Bowery.

I think he'd be better than the two of them !

Infact I think Lambert with use him next season more than he used Bent ..

• Like 1

The more I hear, the more he sounds like Peter Crouch :) And the more it sounds like he's similar to Jordan Bowery.

How can someone wanted even by Ajax be in same league to Crouch or Bowery?

Yeah, he was just wanted, by Ajax has the best football school for kids like him, the kid has massive potential, and with us could develop brilliantly. 

Edited by Alakagom

How can someone wanted even by Ajax be in same league to Crouch or Bowery?

Yeah, he was just wanted, by Ajax has the best football school for kids like him, the kid has massive potential, and with us could develop brilliantly.

In playing style. I wasn't talking about his quality. /facepalm.

How good have the Danish and Dutch been at giving us information about their players?!? Several posters have been an absolute credit to their clubs.

I only hope we don't send Con on a goodwill mission to whomever we manage to sell Bannan to.

Totally agree Shillzz, some really top supporters giving us their insight.

I hope they all stick around throughout the season and adopt Villa as their second club.

Always welcome and UTV! (that's Up The Villa to our new pals).

Totally different in terms of playing style, yes they both can't head a ball. But Helenius, has a lot more about him, pace, quick feet, plays more as a No10.

Crouch looks awkward, but he had/ has quick feet, an good touch and good close control.  And he can bring other players into play (though not necessarily as the traditional strong target man).

I'll bow to the knowledge of people who have seen more of Maximus Helenius than me though.  If he's anything like Tore Andre Flo I'll be happy.

Edited by HolteExile

No.  Which is why -when I suggested the comparsion- I purposely didn't mention pace.   ;)

Thought that would have been fairly obvious, but nevermind.

Edited by HolteExile

Think people have too high expectations for some of our new players. With a cheap purchase like this, can we really say already that he will be better than the likes of Peter Crouch? We can hope of course, but the leap from the measly Danish league to the Premier League is enormous and many don't stand a chance. In my opinion I would be very, very glad if he turned out to be even remotely as good as Crouch - or even Bendtner (in his prime) - but odds are he is not going to reach that level at all. Just because WE got him it doesn't mean he will automatically be awesome, and let's not forget Crouch has 42 games for England and 22 goals to his name. 

Not writing him off though, I haven't seen the guy play a single time!