Confirmed Transfers Summer 2013

mikeyp102

If anybody deserves a higher wage, Gabby does.

To be fair, I don't exactly think he is struggling. Would imagine he will be £40k a week at least if not more!

It's all relative though, isn't it. I don't think Gabby necessarily deserves more money, no footballer does, but he probably deserves to be the best paid player in the team.

HH you have been heroic as always, I tip my hat to you.

All things considered a very exciting window in my eyes (very glad its over mind!).

Now we can get on with the real thing, no more looking at twitter, hearing shitty rumours or getting the latest update on Gareth fxxxxcking Bale.

Now just gut wrenchingly tense football, Beast 1 ripping up the league and Beast 2 brought in specifically to nobble Ivanovic in the return leg at Villa Park

Morning Gents,

I don't quite know where the figures come from but the total spend throughout the summer was just over £13m. Seven new players brought in and the squad now in much better shape than it was at the beginning of the window.

While it has been a good window, I would highlight the spending is much lower than most clubs - we haven't spent anywhere near the amount some would suggest. It's just over £13m in total.

The £29.2m i quoted is not for this summer, i was saying that is how much Lambert has spent since he joined Villa last summer, 3 transfer windows ago.

Which is higher than most clubs in the same period, especially if you do it as a % of turnover.

but yes, great transfer window anyway :)

Edited by ender4

If anybody deserves a higher wage, Gabby does.

To be fair, I don't exactly think he is struggling. Would imagine he will be £40k a week at least if not more!

I didn't mean I want him to have a pay rise. I mean he's probably already one of our highest earners - but I'm OK with that.

Been a pretty decent window but is a little concerning the low amount spent in comparison to likes of Cardiff for instance.

Seems that FPP is an issue for us still hence all the cuts 

What is FPP? Can I claim if I was mis-sold it?

Agree. Decent window for many reasons. Could probably still do with a little bit of additional quality in a couple of areas but maybe need to wait another year for that but the good news is everything is moving in the right direction.

I don't expect the team to be pushing for Europe this season. It is still a very young and inexperienced squad. But they will do better than last season and will continue to improve.

And, financially, with the wage bill lower and player valuations increasing, it means the club will become stronger and stronger.

There will be some disappointing results along the way - Newcastle might actually be one - but there will be more good results than bad.

And when you are improving your league standing whilst cutting costs I'd say that is pretty good going!

HH you have been the star ITK of this transfer window.

Take a bow son, take a bow.

I raise a VT Toast to Hairy Hands :cheers:  long may he reign.

"Maybe attacking mid - which a lot of people on here seemed to want - would have been beneficial but I think it is now accepted the finances weren't there for that to happen". I think that was a vital area we needed to fill HH. It would be very hard to accept that sufficient funds were not made available to our manager to get a player he may have identified as capable of filling that role. Of course it may be that Lambo considered Kozak the bigger priority with the money he had been granted or that the player he had wanted for the middle was not in the end available or turned us down. But Lambo has worked so well under the cash constraints he has been given that I would have thought he had earned the backing for Kozak and a midfield player late in this window to add to those signed early doors if that was the only reason a midfield player was not signed. Still one late buy is better than none and Kozak will make a difference although I cannot help but think 2 players may have made a bigger one.    

• Like 1

I think that we, as fans, always want a bit more. If at the start of the window we were told we would sign this many players, whilst having moved on as many as we have, we would all have been delighted.

For me, this window secures last season as the proper transition season we needed 2 years ago; there is a bit more work to do both with the maturity of a couple of our players and finally moving on Bent, Given and Hutton (plus Zog?) for good, but I am not sure we could have expected more.

I feel the comparisions to the promoted clubs are unfair. They started with a much smaller cost base than ours and are 'gambling'. We tried that, and with one mis-step were in the shit. What we are doing is right, and I think that a lot of credit needs to be given to Paul Faulkner who is really starting to look like he is getting to grips with his job now. However, most credit remains with Lambert!

:cheers:

• Like 3

Thanks for the info during this window, HH.

One question, if you were, shall we say, um, "speculating" or "hypothesising" or even "extrapolating" on the Stoke/SI thing what have we gained? Are they paying a fee and what % of his absurd wages?

I think that we, as fans, always want a bit more. If at the start of the window we were told we would sign this many players, whilst having moved on as many as we have, we would all have been delighted.

For me, this window secures last season as the proper transition season we needed 2 years ago; there is a bit more work to do both with the maturity of a couple of our players and finally moving on Bent, Given and Hutton (plus Zog?) for good, but I am not sure we could have expected more.

I feel the comparisions to the promoted clubs are unfair. They started with a much smaller cost base than ours and are 'gambling'. We tried that, and with one mis-step were in the shit. What we are doing is right, and I think that a lot of credit needs to be given to Paul Faulkner who is really starting to look like he is getting to grips with his job now. However, most credit remains with Lambert!

:cheers:

I agree with Pez. Just imagine if we had appointed Lambert before we appointed Houllier.

That was a really lost opportunity & we are still paying for it.

Fortunately we have arrested the decline & can now surely look forward to palpable & noticeable progress in the years ahead.

Agree. Decent window for many reasons. Could probably still do with a little bit of additional quality in a couple of areas but maybe need to wait another year for that but the good news is everything is moving in the right direction.

I don't expect the team to be pushing for Europe this season. It is still a very young and inexperienced squad. But they will do better than last season and will continue to improve.

And, financially, with the wage bill lower and player valuations increasing, it means the club will become stronger and stronger.

There will be some disappointing results along the way - Newcastle might actually be one - but there will be more good results than bad.

And when you are improving your league standing whilst cutting costs I'd say that is pretty good going!

Aston Villa investment fund lives on.

Decent window.

The figures are irrelevant to me as long as we stick with the long term philosophy and continue to improve. We've bolstered the squad, bought in at least two immediate impact players (Okore and Luna) and shifted as much of the dead wood as we could.

Oh, and we kept Benteke. That in itself is huge.

Well done to all.

• Like 1

Morning Gents,

I don't quite know where the figures come from but the total spend throughout the summer was just over £13m. Seven new players brought in and the squad now in much better shape than it was at the beginning of the window.

While it has been a good window, I would highlight the spending is much lower than most clubs - we haven't spent anywhere near the amount some would suggest. It's just over £13m in total.

The £29.2m i quoted is not for this summer, i was saying that is how much Lambert has spent since he joined Villa last summer, 3 transfer windows ago.

Which is higher than most clubs in the same period, especially if you do it as a % of turnover.

but yes, great transfer window anyway :)

That is a pretty decent level of investment. The collective worth of the players Lambert has brought in has probably doubled as well. He, Lerner and Faulkner have done a very good job in a short amount of time.

Concerning HH figures on investment this window and if you couple that with the January window then overall it must be considered as disappointing when you look at what other clubs have spent.

Lerner has definitely hoodwinked the majority into thinking that for a club of our stature in another re-building process that a 13m-14m expenditure over the above stated period is acceptable. It isn't and it could well be that the club is being prepared for a sale? 

• Like 1

Â