Confirmed Transfers Summer 2013

mikeyp102

Even if he did have a bottomless pit, we've no right to demand he spunk a shedload of it on an unsustainable business model. Now that we are becoming sustainable we've a damn sight more chance of getting him to invest heavily than we did a year ago. But fans can exercise their right to moan as paying customers.

• Like 3

He has a billion dollars or so. That's pretty bottomless mate

Man City owners have spent a £billion since they've arrived and won 1 League and 1 FA Cup. So you want our owner to use all or half of his wealth to fund something that may or may not work. Seriously some people are living in cuckoo land. He did spend 24million on a striker you felt was worthwhile.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

People really need to look at the teams around us and what they have spent. Southampton have spent £23.5m on Osvaldo & Lovren, factor in we've spent about £9m on Kozak & Okore, now that's a head scratcher. Swansea spent £12m on Bony yet we spent half that on Benteke last season. Cardiff paid 4 times more than we did for Helenius when they bough Corneilus, yet Helenius had a better record in a poorer team. West Ham spunked about 15m on Andy Carroll and 100k a week, Benteke is on half that and is twice the player. Look at Fulham they've brought in Parker who's legs are gone, Bent, Taarabt give me Andi any day of the week. We were all envious of Newcastle last January and how many of their signings would we want now on the money they are on? When you consider the relative impacts of Sissoko & Syla and their relative wages who's proving the better signing? It's not what you spend it's how you spend it.

Exactly!

Although Benteke is more than just double the player Carroll is. ;)

• Like 1

What we've done is fine for our current position. The real test come next summer. Are we willing to continue to progress?

A mid table finish would be a success this year. That's how badly we've been run by our owner so I find it hard to expect anything good from him in the future.

I still have to say if the aim is to be self sufficient then what's the point of Lerner? Surely anyone could run the club. If the owner isn't putting money into the club then I'd like one who doesn't have a history of making bad decision after bad decision.

In terms of his wealth did he not sell the browns less than 12 months ago for a ridiculous amount of money?

Edited by Big_John_10

dont think our owner ever said we would get back into the Champions League

dont remember anybody mention mega star signings.

stopped reading after that

You don't remember Krulak's we could spend 30m on one player posts or the 5 year plan for CL?, not idle words it 'will happen' we kept being told

Of course very few believed it. Sounded more like the daft 'if you want it to happen it will' nonsense you get told as a kid than a board member

And we would of gotten top 4 in 08/09 if MON rotated his squad. We spent more than enough to get Champions league, but that was spunked up the wall. I'd rather take the Spurs model and wait 5-6 years to get top 4 than go down the route of teams like Pompey and end up falling from existence because we've spent more than we were able for the slightest chance of a Champions League place (which is only worth it if you get to the Group Stage anyway)

• Like 1

You don't remember Krulak's we could spend 30m on one player posts or the 5 year plan for CL?, not idle words it 'will happen' we kept being told

Of course very few believed it. Sounded more like the daft 'if you want it to happen it will' nonsense you get told as a kid than a board member

And we would of gotten top 4 in 08/09 if MON rotated his squad. We spent more than enough to get Champions league, but that was spunked up the wall. I'd rather take the Spurs model and wait 5-6 years to get top 4 than go down the route of teams like Pompey and end up falling from existence because we've spent more than we were able for the slightest chance of a Champions League place (which is only worth it if you get to the Group Stage anyway)

And bought real striker instead of Ivanhoe. I don't think we'd really profited by finishing fourth and getting into CL given the MON's track record of buying players and his tactics. If we'd gotten into CL, MON would've just bought more players in their late 20s or early 30s and wasted even more money.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing as in the hindsight MON was very limited manager who was never going to get us further than fifth or sixth. Most of the people thought MON was our saviour when he took charge because everyone was talking how great he is. I never will get why he was so stubborn not to use real scouting and how he couldn't see how pointless buy players like Ivanhoe were.

I considered stopping, but continued until I read that we spent around £20m each season. Then I stopped.

Didn't we spend around £50m one year?

Edited by Rob182

He has a billion dollars or so. That's pretty bottomless mate

That's equivalent to six Bales on five year £300,000pw contracts. Then he'd be living in a cardboard box. It doesn't go that far. :D

ahahah. so true. the idea that Lerner lives in a volcano in the tropics flanked by swarms of hot virgins eating diamond encrusted rubies because he has endless wealth....

...when in reality, even if he did still have a billion that would mean 5 Bales for 5 years.

What we've done is fine for our current position. The real test come next summer. Are we willing to continue to progress?

A mid table finish would be a success this year. That's how badly we've been run by our owner so I find it hard to expect anything good from him in the future.

I still have to say if the aim is to be self sufficient then what's the point of Lerner? Surely anyone could run the club. If the owner isn't putting money into the club then I'd like one who doesn't have a history of making bad decision after bad decision.

In terms of his wealth did he not sell the browns less than 12 months ago for a ridiculous amount of money?

Though we might as well stick with Learner now he seems to have gotten to grips with things. Would be a real shame to bring in another new owner with 0 experience and have to go through all the crap again.

Even if he did have a bottomless pit, we've no right to demand he spunk a shedload of it on an unsustainable business model. Now that we are becoming sustainable we've a damn sight more chance of getting him to invest heavily than we did a year ago. But fans can exercise their right to moan as paying customers.

I really believe that the 'sustainable' route, will make Lerner happier to spend more of his own money.

If/when we sell Benteke for £25m-£35m (or more), Lambert can hopefully buy 4 or more players for around £5m+ each.

Using the wages of Ireland and Bent (who should be sold/ contract ended), we could bring in 4 first team players who COULD each have a similar impact to Benteke.

If we end up fighting around the top 6 positions, Randy might be happy to invest a bit more, as hopefully Lambert will have earned his trust that a larger investment won't be wasted.

People really need to look at the teams around us and what they have spent. Southampton have spent £23.5m on Osvaldo & Lovren, factor in we've spent about £9m on Kozak & Okore, now that's a head scratcher. Swansea spent £12m on Bony yet we spent half that on Benteke last season. Cardiff paid 4 times more than we did for Helenius when they bough Corneilus, yet Helenius had a better record in a poorer team. West Ham spunked about 15m on Andy Carroll and 100k a week, Benteke is on half that and is twice the player. Look at Fulham they've brought in Parker who's legs are gone, Bent, Taarabt give me Andi any day of the week. We were all envious of Newcastle last January and how many of their signings would we want now on the money they are on? When you consider the relative impacts of Sissoko & Syla and their relative wages who's proving the better signing? It's not what you spend it's how you spend it.

Spot on

• Like 1

Ins: Nicklas Helenius (Aalborg, undisclosed), Jores Okore (Nordsjaelland, undisclosed), Leandro Bacuna (FC Groningen, undisclosed), Aleksandar Tonev (Lech Poznan, undisclosed), Antonio Luna (Sevilla), Jed Steer (Norwich, free), Libor Kozak (Lazio, undisclosed)

Outs: Richard Dunne (QPR, free), Jean Makoun (Rennes, free), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest, free), Andy Marshall (Millwall, free), Brett Holman (Al Nasr, undisclosed), Graham Burke (Shrewsbury, loan), Samir Carruthers (MK Dons, loan), Nathan Delfouneso (Blackpool, loan), Darren Bent (Fulham, loan), Enda Stevens (Notts County, loan), Malcolm Melvin (Notts County, free), Derrick Williams (Bristol City, free), Courtney Cameron (Torquay, free), Stephen Ireland (Stoke, loan), Barry Bannan (Crystal Palace, undisclosed)

That's some seriously good business in my book:

- Young hungry talent coming in

- Younger talent on loan for experience

- Unwanted, bad return on investment or those simply not good enough going out

Not too unlike last year, tbh. That being the case, is there a reasonable cause to think that:

a. We wont strengthen again next summer?

b. Lambert will no longer be backed?

c. We will plateau this season as far as results are concerned?

I'm not expecting to challenge for the title within a year - but the trend is up and I see no compelling reason under our current leadership (Lambert/Lerner) to doubt that it will continue.

Edit: Source for transfers: here

Edited by ozvillafan

I think we will be in a continual rebuild and recover phase till Randy goes.

I see no reason to think this. Clearly mistakes were made in the past. Clearly we are doing the exact opposite now (in squad building, transfers and wages). This, to me (because it is blindingly obvious) this implies a different approach. Keep doing the same things and expect the same results. We're doing the opposite so..............er

I think we will be in a continual rebuild and recover phase till Randy goes.

I see no reason to think this. Clearly mistakes were made in the past. Clearly we are doing the exact opposite now (in squad building, transfers and wages). This, to me (because it is blindingly obvious) this implies a different approach. Keep doing the same things and expect the same results. We're doing the opposite so..............er

I guess we will see what happens over the next few years. I just do not trust Randy.

We paid 5m for Benteke not 7m.

No-one has said that we're in a position to buy '3-4 players for 10m-15m.' What i'm saying is that Lambert targeted an AM at 10m-12m and he wasn't backed on that. One player at that price over two windows which wouldn't have bankrupted the club and a total expenditure over two windows of 13m-14m to rebuild the team which considering other teams expenditure is pretty poor investment even if we are making losses.

You quite rightly raised the question of us being run as a sustainable business eventually without losses. While no-one wants our club to turn into a Leeds it is however very difficult to compete in the Premiership without running into considerable debt and there are very few club owners out there specifically in the Premiership who will make money out of football.

I think we should therefore use the term sustainable debt if we as a club want to be a top six club again. We have already reduced wages by players leaving and players sold and the investment in the team has dropped considerably over the past two windows.

When does that cost cutting stop? It was widely thought that when we reduced wages by certain players leaving we would get increased investment again. Its probably still a window too soon to see if that comes to fruition but i do feel there is an ulterior motive to the cost cutting in that Lerner may well be preparing us for a sale in 2-3 years time?

Concerning Bent. Unless you've been asleep, Bent hasn't been sold.

Benteke was purchased for 7Million according to most reports but didn't know you had a contacts with the top brass of VP to know we only paid 5million.

We have invested money into the playing staff it may not be the amounts you want to see us invest but money has been spent, we have purchased 7 players, we have also increased the wages of our key players this summer which seems to be forgetten in our spend.

As for Bent, we received a loan fee of 2million made a saving 3million wages a year, so that money has been re-invested back into the squad.

You really have got it down to a fine art now having you, contradicting yourself. You criticise me for stating something which would need ITK knowledge then you make a definitive statement concerning Bent which could only be confirmed by someone connected to the club. You will find that i'm right about the Benteke fee.

Yes we've signed seven players. Yes we've increased the wages of two players but what has been our net expenditure over two windows and as i thought HH has already confirmed that Lambert wasn't backed on all of his targets which i had alluded to. 

Â