Younès Belhanda (Montpellier)

Wes

I just can't help thinking that his quotes were nothing more than a 'come and get me' plea to other PL clubs.

That said, I'm delighted that we're looking at these sorts of players. I just hope we understand that we are a 'stepping stone' for these type of players, but as long as we re-invest the money wisely then there is no reason why in 4/5 years (possibly sooner) we couldn't find ourselves in a position similar to where Spurs are now.

A stepping stone to join a club that he will have an opportunity to join this summer anyway?

It's for this reason that I can't see this deal happening.

Exciting link. I reckon he would improve our first team immeasurably. 

To all those doubting the possibility, is it any different from when Newcastle signed Ben Arfa? (or BeL Haim, to some). Both played in Ligue 1. Both highly rated young prospects with Europe's finest apparently circling. Both have North African heritage (okay, I'm pushing it). My point is that transfers like this can happen. Ramirez has already been mentioned as another case in point. Actually, I think Newcastle has just been promoted when they signed Ben Arfa? So if anything, we are a more established top flight club than Newcastle or Southampton were when they signed their marquee players. 

Edited by Cizzler

so far being linked with 3 wingers, surely we arent signing them all?

We'll probably end up with none of them. but Belhanda isn't really a winger, a CAM really but can play on the wing or deeper in midfield.

For arguments sake, though, lets assume all of these bids/rumours are true. We could line up:

Guzan

Lowton   Vlaar  Okore   Cresswell

Westwood   Sylla

Popov       Belhanda        Tonev

Benteke

But yeah, you are right. Extremely unlikely we'd sign them all. Probably 1 out of the 3, using the other 2 to keep the price of the 1 we will sign down. a la bidding for Dempsey knowing full well we wouldnt get him but closing the Benteke sale.

We'll probably end up with none of them. but Belhanda isn't really a winger, a CAM really but can play on the wing or deeper in midfield.

For arguments sake, though, lets assume all of these bids/rumours are true. We could line up:

Guzan

Westwood   Sylla

Benteke

But yeah, you are right. Extremely unlikely we'd sign them all. Probably 1 out of the 3, using the other 2 to keep the price of the 1 we will sign down. a la bidding for Dempsey knowing full well we wouldnt get him but closing the Benteke sale.

Such a good team. Realistically, might only cost around 30m to put together.

If we could sell Bent for a tidy sum, its not out of the question.

Can't see Belhanda joining though.

Spurs have Dembele, Parker, Sigurdsson, Dempsey, Sandro, Huddlestone, Livermore and Jenas to play centrally as well as the likes of Bale, Townsend and Lennon out wide. Their midfield options are arguably the best or at least one of the best in the league

It's clear that there shortfall is upfront, not in midfield so would they really want to spend £12m on him instead of on a striker ?

And Holtby.

They won't be signing a central midfielder this summer, guaranteed.

Forgot about Holtby!

I agree, I really don't think they will be in for him

Guzan

Westwood   Sylla

Benteke

I like how Weimann and Agbonlahor are just cast out here! Nothing I've seen suggests Popov or Tonev would dislodge either.

Guzan

Westwood   Sylla

Benteke

I like how Weimann and Agbonlahor are just cast out here! Nothing I've seen suggests Popov or Tonev would dislodge either.

Of course not. Was just showing how the 3 could fit in together. I think Weimann would lose his place though if the formation was kept the same.

I don't think we would sign Popov if we were to sign Belhanda, Popov plays behind the striker I believe and that is where we would be playing Belhanda.

I guess that Popov is option B if Belhanda doesn't workout.

lots of chatter on twitter with links to other websites. Hes on his way to Turkey.. Fene are in for him now as well. Meeting them on Monday.

They will throw the bank at him. Im sure other PL clubs will throw their hat in as well.

from his perspective, coming to us gets him a year playing in the premier league in a team that is scoring a lot of goals that he will walk into the starting XI of...

have a good year in the Premier League and his appeal to the "champions league" clubs increases dramatically next summer - bigger contract for him and two fees in a year for his agent... we are a genuine attacking threat at the moment, so actually, i think it will be easy for him to enhance his value while having the safety net of blaming the team as a whole if things really go pear-shaped...

for us, its a strong statement of intent, keeps the fans very happy, doesn't actually cost us a lot of money, fills an important hole (the creative attacking position), probably aids us in our renegotiations with benteke, and allows us to ride the upside in his transfer value from the 10 - 12m that we pay for him....

maybe, just maybe, this one has legs - and if it does, Villa's credibility takes a very positive step in the right direction... get tekkers to re-sign as well, and we might all have to deal with feeling positive about our team at the start of the season - how the f*** are we going to cope with that?

Edited by rodigan
  • Like 2

lots of chatter on twitter with links to other websites. Hes on his way to Turkey.. Fene are in for him now as well. Meeting them on Monday.

They will throw the bank at him. Im sure other PL clubs will throw their hat in as well.

Not scared off that at all, I reckon that he actually wants premier league football. Now if a top 4 club comes knocking then maybe, but I wouldn`t say galatasaray and fenerbache has anything on us. But yeah, it seems like a stretch for sure....

Even if we're not currently in for him, Lambert should now whack a bid in, just because of his comments Yesterday!

IMO, £12m isn't too much for us to spend. All that Lambert has said about 'big signgs' is exactly that. Not to expect 'big signings', and that all depends on what we, or he, classes as a 'big' signing.

Darren Bent for £18-24m was a big signing. Signing a proven Premier League player like Lescott would be a big signing. But I don't think £12m would always be described as a 'big signing'.

Do it Paul!!!

I'm pretty sure that these players will look at how Benteke's star has risen with us and think they want a piece of it.  I really hope this happens, if not then it's just nice to know that we're showing some good ambition.