Drugs

PussEKatt

I've never taken or consumed an illegal drug - to my knowledge. 

I've been around lots of people on field trips at uni who have offered them to me, but I never had the slightest inclination to say "go on then". 

Weed I've never understood, the people who smoked it around me, never really change - it just turns them into dopey **** who I don't want to be around - well boring. 

Coke, makes people hyper 2.0 and they just talk absolute shit. 

I don't think I've seen any other drugs taken. 

If I could take anything, it would have to be a hypnotic, something that would allow me to see stuff and listen to stuff and change my normal perceptions, otherwise, what's the **** point? 

Can you imagine ME on coke?  My heart would explode.  I'm hyper enough anyway :lol:  

I honestly don't know where I'd go to get any either.  No one advertises that they're dealers.  I'm not gonna go up to some stranger in a nightclub and go "gimme some crack you mudderfukka" I'd be snorting rat poison, cum, glass shards and talc. 

I know a bloke who has not long lost his mum, but has now had his kids and wife walk out on him. They have moved in with a friend a few houses down. She's filed for divorce and hesin a pretty bad place hooked on crack and heroin. He used to be one of the main heads around town and was a raging coke head. I used to drink with him a bit as he was best mates with a good friend of mine. I remember warning him about crack years ago when him and my mate started dabbling with it. He got bad on it, and like many crack heads do they end up on heroin to counteract the crack. He looks terrible now and has lost everything, I mean he used to be a good worker, but he don't even work now. I feel sorry for his kids who are only 5 and 7. I also have sympathy for him too. His wife has just had enough after years of trying to help him. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

So, basically, like alcohol, only more so? 

Angrier for sure.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Only tried mushrooms once and it was probably the worst, scariest night of my life. 

I can confidently say I'll never try them again. Ever.

Walked into someone else's coke binge with some money in my pocket.

A moderately fun and very expensive 48 hours turned into a week of abject misery.

I've also had to evict a former flatmate over his coke habit. Best mate at the weekend, nose to nose arguments in the week.

He actually got in contact via Facebook this year. It had been a dozen years since the parting. We went for a drink. He's clean now and much happier for it. We discussed the breakdown in the relationship. The straw that broke the donkey's back was another face to face row. He was yelling "Am I deluded!?!?". The answer was "Yes". Strangely that calmed him down a bit, but it was clear we couldn't live together any longer.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Only tried mushrooms once and it was probably the worst, scariest night of my life. 

I can confidently say I'll never try them again. Ever.

The only time I had mushrooms I bought them off a tuk-tuk driver at a bowling alley in Luang Prabang. He went off to get them, and I'm convinced he just wandered into the rice paddies and picked the first twenty mushrooms he saw, because they certainly weren't 'magic', they were just poisonous. A very long night of barfing and shitting followed. 

Funnily enough, I've done mushrooms a couple of times, with only very mild and pleasant results. My friends were getting hallucinations on the same batch, but I just got a nice buzz, the best bits being auditory - music sounded AMAZING, like I could hear every instrument quite separately. The bass on The Byrds' 'Eight Miles High' was particularly stunning. 

Used to smoke cannabis now and then, but tbh I found it a bit boring - we'd all end up slumped, nobody talking. I much preferred going down the pub for a few pints and a chat. Last time I had any was a couple of years ago in Amsterdam. Amusing, but not that bothered about it. 

I'm quite happy with moderate alcohol consumption, really. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The only time I had mushrooms I bought them off a tuk-tuk driver at a bowling alley in Luang Prabang. He went off to get them, and I'm convinced he just wandered into the rice paddies and picked the first twenty mushrooms he saw, because they certainly weren't 'magic', they were just poisonous. A very long night of barfing and shitting followed. 

Well mine were certainly "magic", and definitely not mild. 

It is one of the most bizarre nights of my life (I was in Amsterdam). Parts of it were really great, a lot of it was genuinely horrible. 

Overall I hated it.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It is one of the most bizarre nights of my life (I was in Amsterdam). Parts of it were really great, a lot of it was genuinely horrible. 

Overall I hated it.

It clearly affects different people in different ways. I was in a group of 3 in Dam, myself and my mate were loving it but the 3rd person didn't take to it very well and wanted to phone home to check if everything was real, he also had to be stopped from going down to reception to check with the receptionist if everything was real.

I highly recommend reading a book called Good Cop Bad War written by Neil Woods who was an undercover drugs cop for 15 years. He ultimately realised that the war on drugs is completely futile and an unwinnable war. the only way is to legalise and go from there. Treating people as criminals is not the answer for so many reasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

I highly recommend reading a book called Good Cop Bad War written by Neil Woods who was an undercover drugs cop for 15 years. He ultimately realised that the war on drugs is completely futile and an unwinnable war. the only way is to legalise and go from there. Treating people as criminals is not the answer for so many reasons.

It's not that simple imo. Of course the war on drugs will never work, but waving the white flag and legalising everything is a dangerous game. I agree that addicts shouldn't be deemed as criminals, but some addicts don't want change and will continue committing crime to fund their habit. More funding is needed for people trying to get off drugs and more free rehabs are needed. if addiction is an illness and that's a big if, then it needs to be properly treated like one by the governments. 

11 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

It clearly affects different people in different ways. I was in a group of 3 in Dam, myself and my mate were loving it but the 3rd person didn't take to it very well and wanted to phone home to check if everything was real, he also had to be stopped from going down to reception to check with the receptionist if everything was real.

Yep, pretty similar to one of many reactions I had!

I could write pages on events that night and my state of mind during it.

Maybe I will if I get time later. 

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Can see where you went wrong there.

It was going straight off in the deep end with an unknown quantity of psychedelics in a strange city.

Could have been worse. There are trams and bikes to be run over by and plenty of canals to fall in ;)

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It's not that simple imo. Of course the war on drugs will never work, but waving the white flag and legalising everything is a dangerous game. I agree that addicts shouldn't be deemed as criminals, but some addicts don't want change and will continue committing crime to fund their habit. More funding is needed for people trying to get off drugs and more free rehabs are needed. if addiction is an illness and that's a big if, then it needs to be properly treated like one by the governments. 

Addiction is a mental illness not a criminal activity, its as simple as that.

In Denmark they actually tarted giving out Heroin as a treatment and let the users choose their own dosage. You might think this would be a free for all but infact most users actually decreased their dosage over time. Unsurprisingly because they weren't constantly chasing their next high it gave them more time to evaluate their life and eventually wean themselves off. Not to mention crime levels reducing and overdose levels dropping significantly. Its really a no brainer.

8 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Addiction is a mental illness not a criminal activity, its as simple as that.

In Denmark they actually tarted giving out Heroin as a treatment and let the users choose their own dosage. You might think this would be a free for all but infact most users actually decreased their dosage over time. Unsurprisingly because they weren't constantly chasing their next high it gave them more time to evaluate their life and eventually wean themselves off. Not to mention crime levels reducing and overdose levels dropping significantly. Its really a no brainer.

I agree it is a mental illness. As an addict myself i can honestly say my brain has been damaged by my using. What I worry about is the next generation of kids who are being told it's ok to take drugs. I also think over time it would create more drug users which will in turn create more addicts. Interesting debate which in all honesty never gave as much thought into as I maybe should. 

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I could write pages on events that night and my state of mind during it.

Maybe I will if I get time later. 

Please do, I'd find it interesting. :)

• Like 1

I tried most drugs in a five year period in my younger days and happy to say they didn't really do anything for me. Same as tobacco and alcohol. Never found any of them addictive, which I guess is a godsend!

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

What I worry about is the next generation of kids who are being told it's ok to take drugs. I also think over time it would create more drug users which will in turn create more addicts. Interesting debate which in all honesty never gave as much thought into as I maybe should. 

Legalise and control is really the only way forward. 

I agree there is a fine line about the message that sends out but criminalising it clearly doesn't work and never will. 

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I've never taken or consumed an illegal drug - to my knowledge. 

Weed I've never understood, the people who smoked it around me, never really change - it just turns them into dopey **** who I don't want to be around - well boring. 

Weed is nice.  I think people don't fancy it, as such, because it doesn't change your mental state that much unless you have a lot of it.  The same as alcohol, really.  For some reason, I think people (general) think taking "drugs" means being completely off your tits on whatever it is.  It's just not.

Having a joint and watching a TV show/movie/listening to music is bliss.  Completely lovely and takes the edge off whatever may be bothering you, however slight.  Of course, your reactions slow down and you don't fancy speaking that much necessarily, so the "dopey ****" is certainly applicable.  But you're looking in from the outside.  If you're sober and down the pub with a load of pissed up mates, it's going to be equally as unappealing (I suppose they're more likely to do something stupid, though, which has more entertainment value).

As a general point, I think all drugs should be decriminalised.  There was a fairly interesting piece on the news last night about the rise of heroin related deaths in England (centered on the North East) and how taking a medicinal approach to what is, essentially, (addiction) an illness may have benefits.  Story linked here:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/Heroin

"In the past five years deaths involving heroin in the UK have rocketed. Is it time for a radical solution?

Warning: Depictions of drug use

Lisa used to be married. She had two jobs and was a mum to five kids. She calls it her normal life.

Now there’s only one thing on her mind. It’s all Lisa has been thinking about since she woke up.

Heroin."

• Like 1

Â