Drugs

PussEKatt

Meanwhile, alcohol continues to destroy more lives than all the drugs mentioned in this thread combined. 

But drugs, yeah, bad.

Dont you work in a bar?

Yep. And alcohol should be legal, like all other drugs should be legal. 

I just don't like hypocrisy, especially from lawmakers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

5vsso7.jpg

This Kickstarter drone can carry 5kg 60 miles at 60mph.

A modest drone submarine could carry a far greater payload.

You could see a profound change in the drug laws coming in the next few years.

Meanwhile, alcohol continues to destroy more lives than all the drugs mentioned in this thread combined. 

But drugs, yeah, bad.

Dont you work in a bar?

Yep. And alcohol should be legal, like all other drugs should be legal. 

I just don't like hypocrisy, especially from lawmakers.

I'm not sure a flaw in the law such as the legalisation of a drug as damaging as alcohol, should be compounded by making other drugs legal. Simply, two wrongs don't make a right.

I dont believe the state should dictate what its citizens can and cannot ingest. Actions while under the influence of insert substance here, that could endanger or harm other people, should be tightly controlled by law.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mystery surrounds hallucinatory chaos at German homeopathy conference.

Police unsure if the incident, where 29 homeopaths were found to be intoxicated with LSD-like drug, was an accident or experiment gone wrong.

Emergency services called to the meeting in Handeloh, south of Hamburg, last Friday afternoon found a group of 29 alternative healers hallucinating, staggering around, groaning and rolling on the grass.

Grauniad

Ha ha ha ha :P

• 1 month later...

UN to call on governments around the world to decriminalise all drugs, says Richard Branson

The British entrepreneur appears to have released details of an embargoed UN report - in case they change their minds

Clicky

Unlikely to happen, mainly because drug policies generally are written by governments who ignore expert advice and pander to a vocal minority (who tend to know even less) and therefore worry that any major changes will be political suicide. 

Same with the police. Senior figures only tend to speak out about ending prohibition, once they have retired/left, because they know if they speak out whilst in office, a small bunch of idiots will get them boot. 

Current laws and policies across most of the western world are an absolute joke, but not enough people have the balls or the power to keep pushing the facts and challenging those who's arguments are based on nothing more than scaremongering, a lack of education on the subject and ignorance of 100's years of human history. 

There have been times in the past few years when I thought there might actually be a shift to a more sensible policy (legalisation of pot in parts of the US is helping in a way), but whenever the debate seems to open up over here, someone screams Leah Betts and it shuts down again. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

Unlikely to happen, mainly because drug policies generally are written by governments who ignore expert advice and pander to a vocal minority (who tend to know even less) and therefore worry that any major changes will be political suicide. 

Same with the police. Senior figures only tend to speak out about ending prohibition, once they have retired/left, because they know if they speak out whilst in office, a small bunch of idiots will get them boot. 

Current laws and policies across most of the western world are an absolute joke, but not enough people have the balls or the power to keep pushing the facts and challenging those who's arguments are based on nothing more than scaremongering, a lack of education on the subject and ignorance of 100's years of human history. 

There have been times in the past few years when I thought there might actually be a shift to a more sensible policy (legalisation of pot in parts of the US is helping in a way), but whenever the debate seems to open up over here, someone screams Leah Betts and it shuts down again. 

Undoubtedly tragic what happened to Leah Betts, but it came from the ridiculous scaremongering and panic that those 'drugs are bad mmmmkay' types create. If people spoke about drugs more openly and people in power paid more respect to the science behind the pills and powders, she probably wouldn't have drunk 10+ pints of water that contributed to her death.

I think the whole lot should be researched correctly and ultimately legalised and taxed appropriately. Bar smack and crack I can't think of anything as destructive as alcohol. Freedom of choice maaaaaan.

• Like 2

Undoubtedly tragic what happened to Leah Betts, but it came from the ridiculous scaremongering and panic that those 'drugs are bad mmmmkay' types create. If people spoke about drugs more openly and people in power paid more respect to the science behind the pills and powders, she probably wouldn't have drunk 10+ pints of water that contributed to her death.

I think the whole lot should be researched correctly and ultimately legalised and taxed appropriately. Bar smack and crack I can't think of anything as destructive as alcohol. Freedom of choice maaaaaan.

edit

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Eventually even the staunchest law and order types will have to concede that a) There is no stopping the cycle of supply and demand for illegal drugs, and 2) There is a **** load of money to be made for governments who are trying to raise revenue

State governments in the US took over the mafia's numbers racket and turned it into "The Lottery".

Only a matter of time...

Eventually even the staunchest law and order types will have to concede that a) There is no stopping the cycle of supply and demand for illegal drugs, and 2) There is a **** load of money to be made for governments who are trying to raise revenue

State governments in the US took over the mafia's numbers racket and turned it into "The Lottery".

Only a matter of time...

how pure do you think the drugs would be if they was legalised and run by the government.

Only a matter of time...

how pure do you think the drugs would be if they was legalised and run by the government.

I think you'd get a uniformity of purity and potency, which would make taking them safer than copping on the street from random sources. Most heroin OD's are due to a sudden influx of more pure product, so people shoot the amount they are used to and overdose, unaware that they only had to use half, or whatever.

Only a matter of time...

I think you'd get a uniformity of purity and potency, which would make taking them safer than copping on the street from random sources. Most heroin OD's are due to a sudden influx of more pure product, so people shoot the amount they are used to and overdose, unaware that they only had to use half, or whatever.

yeah buying street heroin i imagine is very dangerous as you dont know how strong the shit is. i made a terrible mistake once when i was on the needle shooting coke. i had not shot up in about a month and me and my mate got some off this bloke, we did not expect much from it as it was usually not that strong hence why we did not normally get it off him. anyway because we thought it was weak we split it and shot it up in one go and i ended up blacking out and came round lying on the floor wondering what the hell had happend. it was way stronger than we thought.

i just cant see our government legalising drugs if im honest. im not sure what i really think because its such a huge decision.

That would depend on the drug.

tbh marijuana could do with coming down a couple of notches, some strains mong like opiates.

Smell it on kids on the street, it could be 10 times stronger than weed from 20 years ago.

Legalised, you could easily switch brands if you felt you were becoming tolerant to a particular strain of weed. You shouldn't need to increase dosage or strength.

We're still awaiting a statistically relevant sting in the tail from ecstasy. Though I'm sure if there's any truth in this Branson thing, the Betts will be wheeled out with an emotional plea.

Actually, considering the quantities of ecstasy consumed, it likely has many licensed drugs beat when it comes to safety.

Coke, I don't like, but it's grossly hypocritical to maintain its legal status, considering who likes a line or two - I'm looking at you MPs, Lords, Royals and Kate Moss -  Whose fee actually went up after the charlie incident, because high fashion likes a sniff too.

Heroin, jeez, do we have to? You can live on it and operate, if it's clean and affordable to be fair.

I would have been well up for total legalisation 20 years ago.

This government's determination to create a sizable underclass makes me less certain that universal legalisation is a good idea.

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

That would depend on the drug.

tbh marijuana could do with coming down a couple of notches, some strains mong like opiates.

Smell it on kids on the street, it could be 10 times stronger than weed from 20 years ago.

Legalised, you could easily switch brands if you felt you were becoming tolerant to a particular strain of weed. You shouldn't need to increase dosage or strength.

We're still awaiting a statistically relevant sting in the tail from ecstasy. Though I'm sure if there's any truth in this Branson thing, the Bett's will be wheeled out with an emotional plea.

Actually, considering the quantities of ecstasy consumed, it likely has many licensed drugs beat when it comes to safety.

Coke, I don't like, but it's grossly hypocritical to maintain its legal status, considering who likes a line or two - I'm looking at you MPs, Lords, Royals and Kate Moss -  Whose fee actually went up after the charlie incident, because high fashion likes a sniff too.

Heroin, jeez, do we have to? You can live on it and operate, if it's clean and affordable to be fair.

I would have been well up for total legalisation 20 years ago.

This government's determination to create a sizable underclass makes me less certain that universal legalisation is a good idea.

Last paragraph makes a very interesting argument I hadn't considered, but likewise surely if they were aiming for that, first and foremost they'd lower the price of strong alcohol?

Â