Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

I think Walcott is apparently the quickest in terms of running the 100m. Walcott does 9.5 seconds or something? Gabby is like 10.2 seconds

2007 this was done, how scientific this was, considering ronaldo was becoming the world class player and wasn't involved, id have put him faster than all 3 of them

Edited by Jimzk5

No way... 9.5 is Olympic standard (bolts first world record timing was 9.69 remember, and the previous record before that was 9.75 or something like that). I don't think any premier league player would be able to break 10s tbh

Edited by legov

No way... 9.5 is Olympic standard. I don't think any premier league player would be able to break 10s tbh

Gabby was a track sprinter before he became a footballer!

But you're probably right 9.5 is olympic standard.

I still think he can run it in under 10 though! 

I think Walcott is apparently the quickest in terms of running the 100m. Walcott does 9.5 seconds or something? Gabby is like 10.2 seconds

er :blink:  think walcott is in the wrong sport then if that's the case 

Sub 10 is still Olympic standard though. Most of the sprinters in the Olympic heats post timings of over 10s, even in the world of athletics sub 10 is very rare.

I highly doubt gabby can run a sub 10, because even the very best sprinters struggle to break 10 - much less Walcott, whose body isn't even built like that of a sprinter.

No footballer would be in the sub 10 category - there have only ever been two British men ever to run sub 10 and for footballers a quick hundred meters time means nothing - Gabby is quick over ten to twenty meters which is exactly what a footballer needs.

• Like 2

Well Usain bolt looks pretty muscular. Yohann Blake is built like a tank. To my amateur eye it seems like relatively skinny people like Walcott don't make good Olympic level sprinters

Well Usain bolt looks pretty muscular. Yohann Blake is built like a tank. To my amateur eye it seems like relatively skinny people like Walcott don't make good Olympic level sprinters

No footballer would be in the sub 10 category - there have only ever been two British men ever to run sub 10 and for footballers a quick hundred meters time means nothing - Gabby is quick over ten to twenty meters which is exactly what a footballer needs.

We weren't debating the necessity of being able to run 100m in football, we were just debating speed in general and speed is measured by the everyday by how fast you can run the 100m (as its easily relatable).

according to various google searches Theo Walcott can run (theoretically) 100mm in 9.9 seconds. I don't however know whether he has actually done it.

In terms of Tonev, if he has anywhere near the pace of Gabby i'll be happy. 

Whilst I wish him well and hope he does the business for us. I am not that excited by this one - Just think its a massive leap from a player who spasmodic in a league of of a lower quality.

I agree with this but my opinion is tempered by the fact I trust in our scouting network more than ever before. Also, it's not an area we're "desperate" in, so a gamble like this is more palatable. Low risk high reward as they say.

According to that Nike test, Gabby's top speed without a ball is 21.1 mph; according to a story on the beeb, Usain Bolts is 27.78 mph - Gabby is as fast as anyone in the league, I'd put him in the 12-13 second bracket.

I didn't think that speed was Tonev's big selling point?

You can say that again...

• Like 2

Eh? I don't see any repeat posts on my screen.

troll_face-1280x800.jpg

• Like 2

According to that Nike test, Gabby's top speed without a ball is 21.1 mph; according to a story on the beeb, Usain Bolts is 27.78 mph - Gabby is as fast as anyone in the league, I'd put him in the 12-13 second bracket.

I think Gabby is among the fastest in the league.

I remember reading a few pages back something about Tonev having some pace on him? 

Yeah, some quick back of the envelope calculations give me a 100m time for Gabby of about 11.8.

Though those same calculations imply a 40m of about 5.5s... or 5.1s to 40yd... which seems rather slow to me, considering that there are 6'8" guys who have run 40 yds in 4.6s.

Edited by leviramsey

according to various google searches Theo Walcott can run (theoretically) 100mm in 9.9 seconds. I don't however know whether he has actually done it.

To be honest I recon I could possibly post a sub 10 second time in the 100mm.

• Like 4

Â