Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

Article about Tonev in one of the best, popular and controversial (these guys always write what they think) sites about Polish league.

http://www.weszlo.com/news/15205-Aleksandyr_Tonew_rzucony_na_gleboka_wode_Utonie_czy_sie_wybije

Main thoughts are:

• Transfer fee for Tonev is 3,2 mln euro and is the second most expensive footballer transferred from Polish league to PL (first is Fabianski)
  • Some pundits here in Poland compared him with Gareth Bale (which, in the eyes of the author, is big exaggeration)
  • His wages will increase from 150 thous. euros to 1,2 mln.
  • Author says that it is great business for Lech. They will earn approx. the same amount of cash as for Rudnevs, who was top goalscorer in Polish league (he was sold to Hamburger SV). When it comes to statistics, Tonev isn’t anywhere near him.
  • Tonev contract with Villa has many interesting clauses, f.e. he will earn more money, when Villa will beat any of the top 6 clubs.
  • Author reckons that this may be too deep water for Tonev, BUT in England, there’s no better club for him than Villa (examples of Bowery, Lowton). Tonev was criticised for taking shots from every position or for running like a headless chicken.
  • Agent Marcin Lewicki says that Villa wanted a guy who can shoot from distance. Tonev can do that with two feet, but he must work on his strength.

Thats all. Sorry for possible grammar mistakes! ;)

• Like 4

Article about Tonev in one of the best, popular and controversial (these guys always write what they think) sites about Polish league.

http://www.weszlo.com/news/15205-Aleksandyr_Tonew_rzucony_na_gleboka_wode_Utonie_czy_sie_wybije

Main thoughts are:

• Transfer fee for Tonev is 3,2 mln euro and is the second most expensive footballer transferred from Polish league to PL (first is Fabianski)
  • Some pundits here in Poland compared him with Gareth Bale (which, in the eyes of the author, is big exaggeration)
  • Author says that it is great business for Lech. They will earn approx. the same amount of cash as for Rudnevs, who was top goalscorer in Polish league (he was sold to Hamburger SV). When it comes to statistics, Tonev isn’t anywhere near him.
  • Tonev contract with Villa has many interesting clauses, f.e. he will earn more money, when Villa will beat any of the top 6 clubs.
  • Author reckons that this may be too deep water for Tonev, BUT in England, there’s no better club for him than Villa (examples of Bowery, Lowton). Tonev was criticised for taking shots from every position or for running like a headless chicken.
  • Agent Marcin Lewicki says that Villa wanted a guy who can shoot from distance. Tonev can do that with two feet, but he must work on his strength.

Interesting stuff and shows where Lambert wants to take our playing style next season. We've sorely needed someone who can shoot from distance for a while now.

Main thoughts are:

Good post. Your English really is very good. There is no need to apologise for any mistakes! Most of the country's grammar is awful and, in any event, your English is likely to be a darn sight better than our Polish ;).

It's interesting that everyone in Poland seems to think we've massively overpaid for Tonev. Although that doesn't really concern me because about 3-4 clubs wanted him and, as a result, that was the going rate for him. As for his wages, sadly that's just the way it is in England. One way or another he is going to want some sort of parity with the other players.

I've come to trust Lambert. If he can pull a talented Frenchman out of a French Ligue 2 team that sounds like a fungal infection, I can trust him to pull a gem out of Lech Poznan!

• Like 2

Looks like a pretty clinical finisher if he gets a sniff at goal oh and he looks like he can/will pass which is a massive improvement on holman who cant and zog who just wont. 

I don't think you can judge how clincal he is form youtube videos. They edit out all the shots that end up in row z!

Main thoughts are:

Interesting stuff and shows where Lambert wants to take our playing style next season. We've sorely needed someone who can shoot from distance for a while now.

Interesting you say that. I do kind of agree but then actually if I think of how many goals we scored from outside the area last season it was a fair few... Benteke vs Liverpool, Benteke vs WBA, N/Zogbia vs West Ham, Lowton vs Stoke, Lowton vs Swansea, Gabby vs Norwich, Weimann vs Arsenal (& Man U??), Bent vs Wigan. Not bad really, and I may have missed a couple.

What we really need is one of the central midfield trio to be able to shoot better. 

I am no football tactical genius, but it would seem to me that having a legitimate threat from distance would tend to prevent defenses from sitting back, which would open up opportunities inside the box.

• Like 4

Looks like a pretty clinical finisher if he gets a sniff at goal oh and he looks like he can/will pass which is a massive improvement on holman who cant and zog who just wont. 

I don't think you can judge how clincal he is form youtube videos. They edit out all the shots that end up in row z!

Thats why i said looks rather than is, i said on the first page about youtube videos and players so yes i totally agree with your point but hes clearly capable of doing it.

It's interesting that everyone in Poland seems to think we've massively overpaid for Tonev. Although that doesn't really concern me because about 3-4 clubs wanted him and, as a result, that was the going rate for him. As for his wages, sadly that's just the way it is in England. One way or another he is going to want some sort of parity with the other players.

If he's the second highest transfer fee received in Polish history and not considered the best footballer in Poland, I think it would be expected for Polish fans to think we overpaid.

Of course, as far as a PL club is concerned, unless the player in question is me, I don't think it's possible for 3 millionish pounds to be overpaying.

I am no football tactical genius, but it would seem to me that having a legitimate threat from distance would tend to prevent defenses from sitting back, which would open up opportunities inside the box.

You clearly are a tactical genius :thumb::D

You clearly are a tactical genius :thumb::D

Fingers crossed he can cross a ball, still irks me that we have the best header in the league but barely gave him a sniff from an open play cross all season.

This way if teams sit back we can hit them this way too. A ploy MON used to great effect with Carew (ducks for cover...)

Main thoughts are:

Interesting you say that. I do kind of agree but then actually if I think of how many goals we scored from outside the area last season it was a fair few... Benteke vs Liverpool, Benteke vs WBA, N/Zogbia vs West Ham, Lowton vs Stoke, Lowton vs Swansea, Gabby vs Norwich, Weimann vs Arsenal (& Man U??), Bent vs Wigan. Not bad really, and I may have missed a couple.

What we really need is one of the central midfield trio to be able to shoot better. 

With the exception of N'Zogbia and Lowton, all of the other goals were scored by the strikers, not midfielders, granted Gabby didn't play striker as he was wide-forward but they are not midfielders or wingers and Lambert probably wants players who can play deeper and still score a goal from further away.

If he's the second highest transfer fee received in Polish history and not considered the best footballer in Poland, I think it would be expected for Polish fans to think we overpaid.

Of course, as far as a PL club is concerned, unless the player in question is me, I don't think it's possible for 3 millionish pounds to be overpaying.

He's second most expensive footballer transferred from Polish league to Premier League (there weren't many such cases unfortunately). Lewandowski is the most expensive player transferred from Polish league in general.

Spoony, thank you for kind words, mate :)

• Like 1

Main thoughts are:

With the exception of N'Zogbia and Lowton, all of the other goals were scored by the strikers, not midfielders, granted Gabby didn't play striker as he was wide-forward but they are not midfielders or wingers and Lambert probably wants players who can play deeper and still score a goal from further away.

And of course there was Vlaar against sunderland!

So basically hes going to be a  man possessed against the top 6? ;)

It's quite a good incentive that. It's a far cry from McLeish's beaten before we even turn up stance against the likes of Utd. I wonder is it a named top six (as in the top six from last season) or is it the top six on the day of any particular game?

It's quite a good incentive that. It's a far cry from McLeish's beaten before we even turn up stance against the likes of Utd. I wonder is it a named top six (as in the top six from last season) or is it the top six on the day of any particular game?

It'll be against a top 5 team, because we will be top 6

It'll be against a top 5 team, because we will be top 6

Good point. If we're top 6, does he get a bonus for own goals? :)

• Like 2

Â