Gardening

Stevo985

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, called goldfinches because their foreheads are so clearly COPPER COLOURED.

Can’t be arsed with birds, other than the magpies, they’re devious little **** so I like watching them casing out the garden.

It's the wings, not their head!

The folks back garden today reached its zenith, with 8x pheasants (all female), 2x collared doves and a brief appearance from a woodpecker. Plus the usual garden birds like robins and starlings. They had a sparrowhawk the other week, who was tucking into the corpse of a small bird. 

My Dad does put a lot of seed and bird feeders out. Word must have got around the avian world that their garden is basically an all-u-can-eat buffet. 

• 1 month later...

A mixed bag of news from the allotment today. Our allotment is in the middle of town, it’s a pretty typical urban environment so we have two rules, firstly we don’t leave anything of above outs value up there in the shed, secondly we never lock the shed. If we lock the shed, then people would have to break it to find out we only have rubbish in there. We leave the door without a lock, but kept closed with a rock that’s a fairly hefty size, about the size of a couple of bricks.

Today when we went up the allotment, someone has taken the rock. I kid you not. The rock has gone, but replaced with a brick so the door doesn’t flap open. People are just plain weird.

In other news, we’ve salvaged some old potatoes and some leeks, and I’m now 10 minutes from potato and leek soup for lunch.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Today when we went up the allotment, someone has taken the rock. I kid you not. The rock has gone, but replaced with a brick so the door doesn’t flap open. People are just plain weird.

Pretty much society today I’m afraid. If it’s not nailed down, it can disappear.  Sad, which is why I have a major dislike of people as a whole and that kind of thing would get me wound up for the day. If it wasn’t for Mrs F and the kids, I’d happily live on a desert island on my own. 

• Like 1

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Pretty much society today I’m afraid. If it’s not nailed down, it can disappear.  Sad, which is why I have a major dislike of people as a whole and that kind of thing would get me wound up for the day. If it wasn’t for Mrs F and the kids, I’d happily live on a desert island on my own. 

Yeah it was a bit weird, my missus is a bit wound up about it. Not so much about someone taking a rock, it wasn’t exactly a rock of sentimental or monetary value. Just that someone else has had a rummage around our plot and decided to take something. The shed isn’t on the perimeter, it’s a good 10 or 12 metres on to the plot with fence to the sides, so someone hasn’t exactly just absent mindedly stumbled across it. I can accept that if I leave something exciting up there, a decent knife or power tools or a shiny new posh branded spade or whatever then that’s my own dumb lookout. But a **** rock!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah it was a bit weird, my missus is a bit wound up about it. Not so much about someone taking a rock, it wasn’t exactly a rock of sentimental or monetary value. Just that someone else has had a rummage around our plot and decided to take something. The shed isn’t on the perimeter, it’s a good 10 or 12 metres on to the plot with fence to the sides, so someone hasn’t exactly just absent mindedly stumbled across it. I can accept that if I leave something exciting up there, a decent knife or power tools or a shiny new posh branded spade or whatever then that’s my own dumb lookout. But a **** rock!

Most likely a plot neighbour has seen it and thought I can make use of that (probably in a home garden or whatever) and decided to take it.

Just hate the lack of respect people have and it’s a principle thing for me. We had our front door pots with buxus plants taken last year, where someone probably took them to sell on a car boot or something and it wound me up rotten. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

A mixed bag of news from the allotment today. Our allotment is in the middle of town, it’s a pretty typical urban environment so we have two rules, firstly we don’t leave anything of above outs value up there in the shed, secondly we never lock the shed. If we lock the shed, then people would have to break it to find out we only have rubbish in there. We leave the door without a lock, but kept closed with a rock that’s a fairly hefty size, about the size of a couple of bricks.

In other news, we’ve salvaged some old potatoes and some leeks, and I’m now 10 minutes from potato and leek soup for lunch.

Does the rock keep bears away?

Edited by Mr_Dogg

Think I mentioned it on here, was quoted nearly 4 grand to prepare and turf our 120 sqm garden, so decided to give it ago myself, with help from the Mrs. Just finished it today, took about 3 months of weekends, may have been worth paying the 4 grand, proper hard work it was, digging up the old turf, getting rid of stones and weeds, roots and them putting down the top soil and finally turfing. Put some sleepers round the edges looks proper professional, quite proud of ourselves we are. I'll try post a picture once cleaned up.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Maybe it was donated to the causeway you all so obviously need to link you to the mainland :D

• Like 1

Our allotment has been raided once or twice, but like you said - We don't lock our shed. They probably had a snoop round but was only old tools in there (no electric tools). The chap who locked his shed up with 2 padlocks had his door battered down and his stuff took. Idiot had power tools (Battery drills, reciprocating saw, grinder etc...), strimmer and other stuff knicked.

• Like 1

I think this comes under gardening but does anyone have any resin surface in their back garden? I am thinking of doing it. I know its expensive but it looks really really nice. 

Anyone got any pros and cons on it? And i know it says weeds dont come through but can anyone confirm if this is indeed correct?

• 2 months later...

Good crops on the way this year.

Already had two decent loads of broad beans, more again today. This year appears to be one of those courgette glut years. Cut three today but we’ll need to be up there again midweek to take some more.

Cucumbers! Decent crop of cucumbers too. Don’t know what I’m going to do with them all…

Oh, and I’ve just done a mid season prune of the apple trees. Absolutely stacked with apples so I’ve just lopped a few fruit heavy branches in the hope the trees can concentrate on quality not quantity.

And my plums are looking very promising.

• Like 3

My broad beans are starting to be ready for the first crop to be picked. Borlotti and runner beans not so much. Potatoes and Tomatoes nowhere near.

Then again there's hardly been any proper summer days here - mostly below 20 and mixed cloudy/clear. only 2 warm days so far.

• Like 2

We haven’t bothered with spuds this year. There must be something not quite right about our soil, but whatever type of ‘tato we plant they are almost impossible to cook. They flake up in to spud soup. We’ve managed to use them up as chips and roasties rather than bin them but we decided this year just not to bother.

Â