Gardening

Stevo985

1 hour ago, blandy said:

It’s different habitat here. Coastal, reasonable areas have wildflowers, though some are grazed. The species mix is different as a consequence. The council does leave some verges etc to grow for extended periods. The farmers are less nature friendly, mind - Hedgerows are thrashed, fields are monoculture deserts. Golf courses are another barren area.

Ive seen no bats this year. Usually I see them at dusk under the oak tree catching midges and moths, but this year, no midges either and not so many moths.

Anyway, gardening…mine might be a tiny jungle, but I much prefer it to the gravel or plastic grass that some of the other houses in the street have.

This year’s success has been the back garden.

We dug a second pond and strangely within 24 hours it had waterboatmen when there were never any in the other pond that has been there for 10 years. Clearly just some subtle difference I don’t see that they prefer one pond to the other when they are within touching distance of each other. 

We do have bats, we have quite a long narrow garden with hedge up either flank, so the bats do that bat thing of following the lines up the one hedge line down the other. We have a hedgehog too, most years I get to see it, this year I haven’t seen it, but that’s probably weather related with me being outside sat in the garden less. I know its still around, it likes to take a midnight shit on the tiles under the bench.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

This year’s success has been the back garden.

I don't really have a back garden, more of a narrow yard, with concrete slabs, but I've made a new back gate and fitted it, replaced the long length of wood that runs along the side of the garage roof, fitted new guttering on the end of the garage, cleaned the garage roof, fitted a water butt to replace the old dustbin that collected water. I've also filled in all the gaps in the pointing of the slabs and generally fettled it all to make it less of an eyesore. It's north facing too, so doesn't get much sun (or any sun on half of it). But despite all that it still gets birds to the feeders, insects to the tubs of veg and to the wildflowers growing in 2 tiny little beds by the ivy on the wall, and to a couple of bushes of some sort. It's kind of a never ending job, over the warmer months at least. Middle aged posts, or what!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

House plants

We seem to have an infestation of fungus gnats in our olive tree in a container in the flat. I bought a bag of John Innes no3 to repot a load of stuff and I think that's the culprit. Anyone got any tips or advice on how to deal with them?

4 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

House plants

We seem to have an infestation of fungus gnats in our olive tree in a container in the flat. I bought a bag of John Innes no3 to repot a load of stuff and I think that's the culprit. Anyone got any tips or advice on how to deal with them?

Cover the soil in the container with a layer of small gravel stones. Stop them laying their eggs in the compost. Then the live ones will die out and no new ones be born. I did that this summer (also moved the plants outside, but the weathers not suitable for that part, maybe, now).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Planted out some broad bean seeds today, put other bean and chilli and tomato seeds into windowsill pots, cut back some shrubs and bushes and the front garden looks kind of threadbare compared to its previous jungle self. Hopefully the bushes recover, but if not the veg can go where they are/were.  No idea if any of the seeds will grow, they’re just saved ones from eating stuff. Not got any spuds, though. Bit of an oversight.

• Like 1

I appear to have 6 garlics I obviously missed harvesting last year. I assume they'll be alright, never had surprise garlic before.

In the flat I have infestations everywhere. The Olive and Kaffir Lime have got scales, I reckon there's still spider mites on my fern and loads of greenfly on a thyme plant, which I realised because there' a ladybird been hanging around for a few wintery months and it's presently tucking right in, perhaps having the thyme of its life.

This indoor gardening thing was much easier when it was all succulents and cacti. On the plus side we have grown a little orange.

• 5 weeks later...

Waaaay too cold.

Just getting the first few green sprouting things so there are signs of life.

Last weekend was basically everything prepped and ready. Planters, fencing, shed, summerhouse… basically if it wasn’t a plant or a wife it had a fresh coat of Wilko Willow Green.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Waaaay too cold.

Just getting the first few green sprouting things so there are signs of life.

Last weekend was basically everything prepped and ready. Planters, fencing, shed, summerhouse… basically if it wasn’t a plant or a wife it had a fresh coat of Wilko Willow Green.

Yep, same here. Lots of baby tom, chilli, broad bean and runner beans waiting to go outside, but it's too cold.

• Like 1

Not getting this too cold vibe but I'm only growing herbs and blueberries but the blueberry bush we planted last year has many more flowers than in did last year (the berries replace the flowers later in the year and its new mate that I bought t'other week is also flourishing (best to grow blueberries on multiple bushes apparently, fruit is bigger and better)

Eyeing up a gooseberry bush next

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

We had a gooseberry bush for years. We always knew when the fruit was finally sweet enough to eat because the **** birds would strip it the same day.

I don't get birds 

The advantage of a subterranean courtyard

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I don't get birds 

The advantage of a subterranean courtyard

We have crows, magpies and blackbirds, which is excellent because they stop the gulls from nesting anywhere local.

We have a couple of robins one either end of the garden i think we’re literally on a disputed border. Then all the usual pigeons and sparrows and schizz. But relatively few gulls, for a hilltop overlooking the water where everyone has decided to invest in a flat roofed roof extension.

We have runner beans and some trailing type toms the wife planted in the greenhouse waiting to go out . I’ve bought myself a Chusan palm tree which is still currently in the pot on a trolley as I can’t decide on it’s permanent location 

The “garden” and the herbs bit with the blueberries

so the herby bit (L-R Bcak first)

Rosemary, Marjoram, Blueberry x2

Basil Mint, Oregano, Flat Leaf Parsley, Bay Leaf

Chives x2,  Mint

Flat Leaf Parsley, Thyme, Lemon Thyme

And out of view on the flower side at the back, there’s Sage

IMG_1817.jpeg

IMG_1816.jpeg

Â