Gardening

Stevo985

8 hours ago, villakram said:

Plant in pot. I did it with the initial root facing into soil. Leave about half of the seed above the soil. Lightly water each day.

I had a new growth of about 1inch after 7-10days, then it basically stopped and slowly started what looked like leaves starting to develop. Then out of nowhere, a brand new strand popped out and now at about a foot tall with loads of leaves. Leaves are also appearing on the initial ~2" sprout and a 3rd sprout has appeared too. All a bit mental, but super cool.

zzz.png.f538dd9c081d10371593a43db0e33ae6.png

Tried to pot it. Once I did the root fell off. 

Guess it's dead now 😔

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Tried to pot it. Once I did the root fell off. 

Guess it's dead now 😔

murderer!

Chancing my arm at a mango now with the same method! Btw, I planted with the root at 1-2" even though the online guide recommended 3".

Edited by villakram

16 hours ago, villakram said:

Then out of nowhere, a brand new strand popped out and now at about a foot tall with loads of leaves. Leaves are also appearing on the initial ~2" sprout and a 3rd sprout has appeared too. All a bit mental, but super cool.

Mine's done that too, and flowered

avo.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just had fish, mash and veg followed by apple and blackberry crumble.

The spuds, carrots, beans, onions, courgette, apples and blackberries were all from the garden.

I did consider using one of the goldfish out of the pond.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Anyone got experiences from freezing down herbs? Winter is coming here now and it goes without saying everything will perish. I got a LOT of herbs to harvest, so thinking maybe I should freeze or dry it. 

What do you guys prefer to do? 

Going to be different for different herbs but as a rough guide, all herbs will freeze, not all herbs are easy to dry and still taste of something pleasant.

If you’ve got the freezer space, freeze.

I don’t think I’ve ever successfully dried basil or parsley, for instance.

Spread them out, on a tray or something to freeze them. Once frozen chuck them together in a tub.

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ok will try it. The basil got an extremely potent taste and smell now. Weird how it's different from what you get in the shops. 

Fresh, innit.

I only have to brush past the basil or water it and the kitchen smells of it. With the best will in the world you can’t get that freshness in shops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Anyone got experiences from freezing down herbs? Winter is coming here now and it goes without saying everything will perish. I got a LOT of herbs to harvest, so thinking maybe I should freeze or dry it. 

What do you guys prefer to do? 

Freezing herbs in ice cubes/ice cube trays is a common recommendation I've seen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

For drinks? Why ice cubes? 

I think there are a couple of things like avoiding freezer burn and having them in a ready sized portion to drop in a recipe (such as wanging in to a casserole or stew).

Here are a couple of links:

Gardeners' World

How to store herbs in ice cubes

Find out how to store fresh herbs by freezing them in ice, in our practical How-to guide.

The Spruce:

Instructions

Freezing Fresh Herbs as Individual Leaves

Freezing Fresh Herbs as Ice Cubes

On 26/06/2020 at 14:54, blandy said:

Mine's done that too, and flowered

avo.jpg

Turns out that alongside the avocado plant a chilli plant had grown, which was nice. Must have accidentally got a chill seed in the soil. Lots of hot Birdseye chillisA297E997-DED3-42E0-9535-5CDCF06DC3C6.jpeg

• Like 3

On 18/05/2020 at 18:22, villakram said:

Try the damp paper towel/zip-lock bag method.

This has worked very well for me. Thanks for the tip. 

I've also tried 4-5 plants/seeds the last months and it seems the rate it sprouts, the solidity of it and such, depends on where it comes from. 

The last one I grew was an enormous seed so it didn't fit the avocado glass I intended to use. But now it's in soil and while the stem is only an inch so far, it's probably twice as thick as the other ones have been. 

Threw away my habanero tree because of a massive aphid infestation, but got some ghost peppers and Jala's coming through, so will be interesting to see how they handle the lack of sunlight in the winter months. 

Think I'm gonna plant some of that chili @blandy got going as well, cause that was wicked. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Over the course of the last 6 months I’ve done a fair bit of walking, a good few miles every week. Hell, I even had a dabble at running this week and did surprisingly well against what I thought would happen.

But today, I’ve done some gardening, up a ladder sawing the top half off a tree, digging out some tree roots, levelling some ground for a shed. Then up the allotment and start the weeding and the prepping. I also put in half a dozen bay trees as a bit of a screen.

Absolutely knackered. Everything aches.

• Like 1

Snow almost melted, ground almost thawed. Had a stroll around the garden with the other half and we did some pointing, some in front and some off to the distance. 

An easy start to things. Nothing aches.

Thinking of planting some trees, maybe even doing a fence and a flower or 3.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So... anyone else hyped about the summer?? Can't wait to get my herbs and tomatoes going.

Got a nice strelitzia this winter that I hope picks up as well.

Fancy adding some more chili plants as well, but think I can't deal with more aphids so might stick to tomatoes.

Â