Gardening

Stevo985

Calm down Morpheus, not that kind of gardening.

Don't think there's a thread on here for gardening, so I'm starting one! Somewhere to throw ideas around, ask for advice, show off etc

I'm not a keen gardener, but I need to take some interest as I have a large garden with potential, but it is currently useless as I don't do anything with it bar mowing the grass.

So here's the advice I'm after. Half of my garden is grass, which is fine. I mow it. The other half (the bottom half)  is overgrown at the moment with weeds, briars, long grass etc.

What's the best plan of attack for this? My thoughts were to borrow a strimmer and get it all cut down, and then hire a rotavator and dig up the ground, then replant the grass (just basic grass seed)

Will that work or will the weeds come back with the grass? Could go for turf but it's more expensive and I'm in no hurry so can afford to wait for the seed to grow.

(I realise this is a really boring thread, but I need advice so worth a try! :) )

• Like 1

I have front, back and side gardens and just about tolerate mowing the grass once a week between April and October. Anything else I see as a pain in the ar$e and therefore I'm unlikely to be able to contribute any further to this thread!

A poison free option is covering the weeded area with black plastic.

Google black plastic weed control for methodology.

I definitely recommend doing that, especially if you're looking to make a veg patch.

I had one overgrown part on mine which I made in to a planted up area and another which is some sort of veg patch.

I dug the former over which took effing ages and did my back no good whatsoever but on the other I used plastic sheeting to cover it for about 8 months and that was excellent (it also means that you can keep an area covered if you have no intention of using it at the time).

On a somewhat related note. I want to grow some veggies. Cheap veggies I can grow in a pot, preferably indoors (beside a window) as I like plants inside.

Any ideas?

You could probably tomatoes indoors

On a somewhat related note. I want to grow some veggies. Cheap veggies I can grow in a pot, preferably indoors (beside a window) as I like plants inside.

Any ideas?

Salads, herbs, small chilli plants, possibly some cherry toms, chantenay carrots perhaps?

Only use the windowsill for seedlings and herbs myself.

Any ideas?

hydroponics if you have an attic or basement and can get a decent cheap power supply

Calm down Morpheus, not that kind of gardening.

Don't think there's a thread on here for gardening, so I'm starting one! Somewhere to throw ideas around, ask for advice, show off etc

I'm not a keen gardener, but I need to take some interest as I have a large garden with potential, but it is currently useless as I don't do anything with it bar mowing the grass.

So here's the advice I'm after. Half of my garden is grass, which is fine. I mow it. The other half (the bottom half)  is overgrown at the moment with weeds, briars, long grass etc.

What's the best plan of attack for this? My thoughts were to borrow a strimmer and get it all cut down, and then hire a rotavator and dig up the ground, then replant the grass (just basic grass seed)

Will that work or will the weeds come back with the grass? Could go for turf but it's more expensive and I'm in no hurry so can afford to wait for the seed to grow.

(I realise this is a really boring thread, but I need advice so worth a try! :) )

you can genuinely leave an area less well tended to encourage some wildlife. Whilst a putting green looks great, it's a bit of a desert. Leave some rough edges and some uncontrolled areas and get some bugs, birds and critters in there.

Any ideas?

Salads, herbs, small chilli plants, possibly some cherry toms, chantenay carrots perhaps?

Only use the windowsill for seedlings and herbs myself.

My mate hippy Dave reckons he can grow a good crop in his attic.
  • Like 1

Also, should you fancy some garden ornaments:
o-OTTMAR-HOERL-570.jpg?6

:)

And if you do have some outside space, CED, then potatoes in a pot are piss easy. Just make sure you get a decent sized pot (about 50cm diameter will take 5 seed potatoes if they're earlies or 3 for maincrop), earth them up and water correctly.

Edited by snowychap

Do you want it all lawn or to sort the overgrown half out in to somewhere you can grow plants or veg?

I want it all lawn. I wouldn't use a vegetable patch.

There's a huge concrete base thing right at the bottom of the garden under all the overgrown bit. I think there used to be a garage there.

Was thinking of building some decking over it, using it as a base.

But again I have absolutely no idea how to go about that so if anyone has any advice on decking as well I'd be eager to hear it

I hate gardening but love growing stuff like trees and stuff from seeds. I have nine chilli plants indoors right now all grown from seed and they are about 14 inches high. Should have some nice chillies in about 6 weeks!

Strim the big stuff then spray with 

"gallop 360" ...mixture of about 100ml per 15 water to kill the shit grass and weeds ......rotavate sprinkle some lawn seeds some pellet fertilizer and water 

With your first cut dont collect the grass let it rest on the new lawn then in a few weeks the second cut after use weed and feed ...

Strim the big stuff then spray with 

"gallop 360" ...mixture of about 100ml per 15 water to kill the shit grass and weeds ......rotavate sprinkle some lawn seeds some pellet fertilizer and water 

With your first cut dont collect the grass let it rest on the new lawn then in a few weeks the second cut after use weed and feed ...

Thanks. So kill the weeds and stuff before rotavating? (That's good if so, means I can start it this weekend without having to sort the rotavator)

Â