Gardening

Stevo985

Advice needed...

The last few months we've developed a massive badger issue. Specifically, they keep digging under fences and ripping up the garden during the night. They're going under fences into the neighbours garden and rather than leave the holes under the fence so they have a clear path he persists in blocking up the holes every time, meaning the badgers just pick another spot to go under, causing more damage. I've told him not to do this but he continues.

Clearly as they're protected, shooting or poisoning them is out of the question so how do I make them take themselves elsewhere?

• 3 weeks later...

Stir fry lunch and it included garlic, onions, kale and broad beans from the allotment. Our first crop of the year.

Looking like a good year for spuds and sweet corn so far, fingers crossed.

The bay tree hedge we planted with reject bay trees, every one off them is still alive, not doing much, but after a couple of months of planting them instead of binning them, still alive.

• Like 3

Trying to do some basic back garden tidying up today, I’ve spent most of the afternoon cutting the hedge, but man, the heat. I’ve cut a couple of meters, then indoors to let everyone know how hot it is outside. Cut a few more meters, back in to tell everyone I think its actually getting hotter… 

I’m now doing the ultimate garden perv, touching up a shed.

We’ve played a blinder here, out most of yesterday morning and evening. Home all day today with the roads to the beach absolute carnage and people moaning on twitter they’re stuck in traffic jams all over town.

Might have a knock off Tesco Magnum in a minute. It is hot though.

• Like 1

Yeah, its all a bit tipsy turvy, the beans we started early had to sit in the greenhouse through May, so they went John Wayne big leggy. So we started another lot so now we have beans everywhere, garden and allotment.

There’s also something up the allotment that seriously loves beetroot leaves.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Second lot of broad beans in today and we need to harvest them all now before they get too big to be tasty and fresh.

First of the garlic also in, we brought it in the house, then realised after about 10 minutes that wasn’t a good idea. It’s out the greenhouse now, but the worktop has a garlic half life smell that will hopefully be gone in a few hundred years.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Second lot of broad beans in today and we need to harvest them all now before they get too big to be tasty and fresh.

Mine are still tiny, but there’s loads of ‘em forming now. Bumper crop to look forward to I reckon. Runner beans are coming on nicely, too, but no flowers yet.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 27/05/2021 at 07:17, desensitized43 said:

Advice needed...

The last few months we've developed a massive badger issue. Specifically, they keep digging under fences and ripping up the garden during the night. They're going under fences into the neighbours garden and rather than leave the holes under the fence so they have a clear path he persists in blocking up the holes every time, meaning the badgers just pick another spot to go under, causing more damage. I've told him not to do this but he continues.

Clearly as they're protected, shooting or poisoning them is out of the question so how do I make them take themselves elsewhere?

Badgers are the worst. Particularly the version from the University of Wisconsin

• Like 1

The local wildlife are causing havoc in my garden but it's quite amusing.  

Someone in the village is leaving fresh eggs for Mr Fox.  Mr Fox has an excess of food and is burying them in pots on my front drive.  Over the past few weeks I have harvested half a dozen fresh eggs.  Thanks Mr Fox.

Meanwhile........

Mr Squirrel has been busily stripping my tree of beech nuts and burying them in the lawn.  Last week I ran the electric lawn rake over the lawn and removed them all.  Mr Squirrel sat on the fence giving me a death stare.  This morning Mr Squirrel discovered the egg depository and smashed them all over the drive.  

B@#$%D. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some advice here please.

My back garden is pretty much walls, a lawn and some wall mounted baskets that i’ve restored to putting fake flowers in because they keep dying.

There’s a couple of reasons why I don’t have a lot else going on, 1 i’m rubbish at gardening and 2 my son objects to anything with reduces the space available for playing football.

Heres my idea, I get a bit of colour going on by getting some climbing roses (or other alternative)and trellis on some of the fences.

It doesn’t take up much floor space and makes the place look nicer.

Any ideas on what to buy, where from, and when to get it in the ground?

Thank you!

rosewall-5824e23a5f9b58d5b1ba4354.jpg

39 minutes ago, Genie said:

Looking for some advice here please.

My back garden is pretty much walls, a lawn and some wall mounted baskets that i’ve restored to putting fake flowers in because they keep dying.

There’s a couple of reasons why I don’t have a lot else going on, 1 i’m rubbish at gardening and 2 my son objects to anything with reduces the space available for playing football.

Heres my idea, I get a bit of colour going on by getting some climbing roses (or other alternative)and trellis on some of the fences.

It doesn’t take up much floor space and makes the place look nicer.

Any ideas on what to buy, where from, and when to get it in the ground?

Thank you!

rosewall-5824e23a5f9b58d5b1ba4354.jpg

Hi Genie, can’t confess to know much at all about gardening apart from the basics but we once were given a wedding rose climber as a gift and this has done very well since. Mrs F feeds it several times from April til September and it does look good. 

We know it was bought for us from David Austin Roses (Wolverhampton) and they have a lot of ideas/prices online, so not a bad place to start. Not cheap, but will give you a sense of price etc. 👍

Edited by ferguson1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A first serious look at the allotment this year and I’ve come away with some kale, parsnips and a couple of leeks.

Not too bad up there, brambles and weeds had not taken over like I’d imagined, a few beds already in a decent state for some planting.

• 2 weeks later...
Â