Season 2012/3 Post Mortem

smetrov

If we stay up the season won't be a total disaster but there is no measure where it could be considered a success.

Avoiding relegation and being knocked out of both cups by lower league opposition does not qualify as success for Aston Villa FC.  

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

If we stay up, overall the season has been a success

There are some positives to take from this season and things (potentially) look good for next year......

.... but there is simply no way this season can be described as "a success".

Our academy products, Herd, Bannan, Lichaj, Clark Albrighton - can only be considered bit part players -and not the mainstay of the squad.

'Not the mainstay of the squad' - I agree with.

But only being considered as bit part players, I disagree. Out of our current front 3, 2 of them are from the academy. With a bit of confidence, Albrighton could come good again. With a bit more experience, Clark could easily make our first 11 again.

A 'Crock of Shit' is how I would sum up the season.

So there's no rainbow at the end of this thunderstorm for you ?

Sorry, I thought I was summing up this season not what might be happening next season or beyond!

Sorry, I thought I was summing up this season not what might be happening next season or beyond!

My summing up included the tail end and not just the Christmas period.

My summing up included the tail end and not just the Christmas period.

My summing up covered the whole season to date which, considering we have been fighting relegation for the vast majority of it, is pretty poor.

Any rainbows will become clearer when it stops raining and the sun comes out.

While enough results this season has left me down or even numb, the things I take from this season are the building of a team and the phenomenal turnaround chronicled very well in this article (snip):

Currently standing 13th (with 40 points) for the first time in several months, there is a sense of calm around Villa Park. That should not, however, detract from the gravity of the situation the club found itself in at the end of January.

A home defeat against Newcastle on January 29 saw Villa conclude the opening month of 2013 with a mere 20 points from 24 games, a tally which placed them 19th in the table -- and with the worst goal difference in the league.

Coupled with modest business in the transfer window -- Villa adding just Yacouba Sylla and Simon Dawkins -- it was little surprise that the mood among supporters was sombre, and almost resigned. Relegation seemed likely, rather than just a possibility.

Certainly, only the most optimistic of Villans could have predicted the team's improvement since then. To put it concisely: it took Paul Lambert's team 23 games to gain its first 20 points, but just 12 matches to pull in the second 20. Of those 12, six were wins, with two draws and four defeats. And the defeats? Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal (all by a single goal), and Manchester United.

Oh, and an unusual amount of spectacular goals as well.

Edited by Gompedyret

Season was all about 1.) Lerner/the club saving money and 2.) if possible staying in the Premier League, looks like we'll do both

Other than that it's been mostly embarrasing with Benteke as almost the only positive, and still it's i feel it's slightly better than last season which says it all really

Just mistake after mistake from manager and players.

Record breaking season in terms of goals conceded and run of games without a clean sheet can't be ignored.

Stupid formation choices from the manager can't be ignored. Especially sticking with the 3 at the back.

Having said all that once he got it right its been very good.

I think we have a front 3 who can score past most teams.

Gabby is back to his best, weimman keeps improving and Benteke is one of the best forwards in the league. That front 3 excite me more than anything I've seen at villa park for a long time.

Westwood, Sylla and Delph all look like they will continue to progress and Gardner is back in the first team picture.

We're playing better football and the spirit and fight is good to see.

It was on the verge of disaster and we look like we've done enough to avoid it.

Sort out the defence and a couple of quality players and a couple from the youth team and next season should be a lot better.

If we stay up the season won't be a total disaster but there is no measure where it could be considered a success.

Avoiding relegation and being knocked out of both cups by lower league opposition does not qualify as success for Aston Villa FC.  

Isn't that what happened in 1981?  I know we were knocked out by cambridge in the league cup cant remember who knocked us out in the FA Cup though.

Isn't that what happened in 1981?  I know we were knocked out by cambridge in the league cup cant remember who knocked us out in the FA Cup though.

Ipswich I think, I remember Alan Brazil saying they beat us 3 times or somethung

Staying up was obviously key but the past few months shouldn't hide some of the stuff thats happened this season, its be no less than abysmal at times but the fact that we have steadily grown into it and beaten everyone around us the past few weeks and months gives me some hope that maybe we wont be so close to relegation next year should we survive this year (obviously were all but safe but you never know).

At points if im totally honest i wouldnt have been sad to see lambert go such was the state of avfc at one point.

ipswich

I think they deserve a lot of credit for the way they have turned it around since January.

One phrase that has been bandied about far too much in my opinion is 'mental strength' and their lack of it. That phrase is just a catch all attempt to easily explain the numerous times that we have dropped points from winning positions, regardless of what the actual footballing reasons were.

The amount of pressure that they have had to deal with in the last dozen games of the season, the number of must win games that they have won, suggests to me that 'mental strength' is not really much of a problem.

If we stay up, overall the season has been a success

Yes I agree its a success, because it was a big risk to go with such a young squad and we can only get better next season.

Ipswich I think, I remember Alan Brazil saying they beat us 3 times or somethung

Yes, I shared an office with an Ipswich fan that season who never tired of reminding me of the fact. Loser.

BTW, it's not QUITE what happened in '81. Substitute "won the league" for "avoided relegation" and you have the full comparison!

Funny comparison with 81 and Ipswich.

I remember we had the points in the bag but feeling absolutely sure Ipswich would pull it back with their games in hand. We hung on based on our achievements in points.

Ever such a tenuous comparison to us and Wigan this season. At one point I thought they would be good enough to overtake us, but I think 40 points just about sees us past them.

Â