Season 2012/3 Post Mortem

smetrov

Bradford was a disaster and something that will continue to hurt until we actually win something again. TBH it will probably stop me getting behind the current manager and players in the same way I otherwise would have.

You can't really think that?

I can kind of see where he's coming from. As far as the league is concerned Lambert looks to have done a fairly good job in the end all things considering. However, there are no excuses losing to a league 2 side over two legs. No excuses whatsoever. I'm fully behind Lambert now but that cup exit was totally and utterly shameful.

I was thinking the awards ceremonies not happening until the end was bad enough, but I'm definitely going to summarise this season until the fat lady actually sings.

Bradford was a disaster and something that will continue to hurt until we actually win something again. TBH it will probably stop me getting behind the current manager and players in the same way I otherwise would have.

I can kind of see where he's coming from. As far as the league is concerned Lambert looks to have done a fairly good job in the end all things considering. However, there are no excuses losing to a league 2 side over two legs. No excuses whatsoever. I'm fully behind Lambert now but that cup exit was totally and utterly shameful.

No, I get that bit. It's the last sentence I can't get my head around.

Totally disagree! Bradford got lucky, especially in the first leg when we were all over them & could not put the ball away. Admittedly we were piss poor at defending especially at set pieces but hey, cup shocks do happen. Okay so it was over 2 legs, but we did more than enough in terms of chances created to have bagged a hatful.

Did you notice how practically every shot Swansea had in the final ended up in the back of the net whilst Darren Bent missed that that nailed on Grannies header from 2 yards out at Valley Parade.

It was down to pure luck, end of. If we played them today we would smash them 10-0. Easy!

It has been an awful season one of the worst in my time as a Villa fan. 

There are reasons to be optimistic however. If we can massively improve the defense we will be going places with this side.  

There are reasons to be optimistic however. If we can massively improve the defense we will be going places with this side.  

For me it wasn't as bad as last year. - There is a glimmer that under Lambert we can move onto better things - where as a 'good' Mcleish team would be dire to watch and at the very best finish 14th.

I real feel our defence could still be our undoing next season - but if we could sort that, who knows what kind of season we could have next year.

Until you see one of the top 6 teams play and realize how far behind them we are. 

Improved last couple of months and a quietly optimistic about next year now

The Bradford debacle has gone, let it go, chap.

You can't have a post mortem until the body is dead and this one still has a couple of breaths to go. It's all very well beating rubbish sides like QPR, Reading, Stoke, Sunderland and Norwich - and I'm glad Lambert has finally lifted us to the point where we can - but let's see how we feel having faced Chelsea again.

However, for preliminaries, we need far better defenders and midfielders if we are to have even a remote hope of competing effectively in the premier league.

The defence is a particular concern because Lambert clearly expects his defenders (full backs in particular) to spend most of their time attacking so they need to be bloody fast and bloody good when they are called on to get back and deal with opposition attacks. Need I even mention that one of them is particularly deficient in that respect?

Lerner should either spend some serious money on the side or butt out.

Sorry not to join in the "we've turned the corner etc." sentiment but I've been a Villa fan for too long and seen a lot of corners turned so I know what more often than not is waiting out of view.

Edited by briny_ear

You can't have a post mortem until the body is dead and this one still has a couple of breaths to go. It's all very well beating rubbish sides like QPR, Reading, Stoke, Sunderland and Norwich - and I'm glad Lambert has finally lifted us to the point where we can - but let's see how we feel having faced Chelsea again.

view.

It's easy to forget that Stoke and Norwich are tough to beat away, and both QPR and Sunderland were coming to VP on the back of back to back wins and everybody was raving about them.

For me it's the way we've beat them, last season we had 2 decent wins against Norwich and Chelsea, even our other wins were boring, and or lucky.

Great strike force. Some talented young hungry players. Need at least one top notch midfielder, leftback and centerback. Either players thats proven or solid or benteke eqesue. if we're to get into the top half of the table come next season.

You're a miserable word removed.

Happy now?

If he was he wouldn't be what he once was anymore...what a paradigm,

Paradox?

...maybe  :blush:

It would still be a distinct concept and thought pattern...in my mind anyway. But yeah, it is a paradox...as well...i suppose...

Terrible season. Just barely better than last because we actually played some vaguely ok football at times.

We have got a long way to go to get back up to being a mid table side but the decline seems to have flattened. Whether we will actually start to improve next season remains to be seen.

Lambert got 23.7 million net spend this season after inheriting a squad which was not cheap to assemble. I like the bloke but really being in another relegation scrap combined with one of our biggest defeats ever was not a positive season.

Hopefully next season will see us doing better.

It has been a baptism of fire for the young side, they will be better for it next season. Keep on doing what we're doing. If we can have another summer of shopping like the last we'll be right up there next season.

Top of my wish list would be to discover a powerful goalscoring midfielder in the Lampard or Gerrard mould. Add a LB and a CB, and trim the fat by getting rid of the rubbish.

It will be good to see a couple of the younger players break through too, if they're good enough it might save us a bit on transfers i.e. if Gardner can be that goal scoring midfielder we need.

Â