Which was the best musical decade?

Pelle

Which was the best musical decade?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the best musical decade?

• 50's
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's

As a seventies kid my yoof spanned 2 decades namely 80's/90's. So there's a definite afinity for late 80s/90s /00s stuff of my younger days. Having said that when I've made a spotify playlist by decade in the past, the 70s one had the most tunes. If I go through my album collection there are more albums from the 70's than any other decade. When I think about the golden era in a lot of acts careers (like the Floyd chat the other day) it was in the 70's.

All the decades are a real mixed bag aren’t they.

Whichever decade you pick, dial up a ‘top 10’ chart week from your fave year and it’ll be 70% shite. You can write a dissertation on why ‘x’ decade was the best and ‘y’ year was the best year of that decade and ‘z’ week was the best week of the best year of the best decade.

Google up the top 10, Russ Abbot will be number 1 with Peters and Lee a particularly solid number 2.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

All the decades are a real mixed bag aren’t they.

Whichever decade you pick, dial up a ‘top 10’ chart week from your fave year and it’ll be 70% shite. You can write a dissertation on why ‘x’ decade was the best and ‘y’ year was the best year of that decade and ‘z’ week was the best week of the best year of the best decade.

Google up the top 10, Russ Abbot will be number 1 with Peters and Lee a particularly solid number 2.

Yeah. People will rave about the 70s but you could make list upon list of terrible disco music, awful easy listening, dreary prog rock, droning singer songwriters. 

Same for every decade. There is good and bad mixed up. 

• Like 3

Being born in the early 80's and growing up around all that music, it's the pick of the poll.

90's music was not too bad in stages, but it really took off imo around '98 when the unforgettable era of Trance really took shape. However, that goes from late 90's crossing over to the early 00's so cannot be defined to one era as such. Hard to decide, but the 80's wins the vote for me by a fine margin.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

" Brotherhood of Man" ! We were support to these (70's) I think at Trentham Gardens. Their material was truly dreadful but .. their backing musos were warming up with "Night Crawler" - the Bob James number !!

• Like 2

I guess that most people would look back at their teen years and early 20s as the 'peak' decade(s). That for me was mid 80s to mid 90s, so all the stuff that got me into indie music in general, eg The Housemartins, The Smiths, New Order, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Pulp etc, plus some good mainstream music like early Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson. Back then was very different in how we consume music, so I'd suggest we valued music much more than our kids do. Buying music meant saving up to buy vinyl or cassettes, actually going to the shop to buy them, then playing the bejaysus out of them when you got them home. Taping from the charts on a Sunday evening and trying to cut the DJ out. There's still some great music being made now, but it's a lot more dispoable with the likes of iTunes and Spotify.

Anyway, time for another Werther's Original!

• Like 2

On 23/01/2007 at 15:22, mjmooney said:

So my favourite decade is 1965 to 1975, and I can't vote for one listed in the poll. If I absolutely had to though, I'd probably say the 60s, because of the sheer amount of innovation that started with The Beatles .

I have long thought that there is a 'critical period' when people establish their taste in music, which begins with the onset of adolescence and possibly lasts about a decade, when it becomes more difficult to establish a taste for the new.

I've also noticed that this can be very much the case with people who are passionate about jazz or classical music.

It would be an interesting experiment to see whether people's choice as expressed by their votes, confirmed or refuted my belief.

32 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I've also noticed that this can be very much the case with people who are passionate about jazz or classical music.

Jazz, for sure. Neither Philip Larkin nor Clive James (both respected jazz critics, among their other accomplishments) could get much past bebop, and both hated Miles Davis. 

Dunno how it works with classical, though, as it's virtually all 'before our time'. 

Edited by mjmooney

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Jazz, for sure. Neither Philip Larkin nor Clive James (both respected jazz critics, among their other accomplishments) couldn't get much past bebop, and both hated Miles Davis. 

Dunno how it works with classical, though, as it's virtually all 'before our time'. 

I've heard several people with tastes very much stuck in the classical era, who struggled to enjoy the romantics and the likes of Mahler et al.

18 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I've heard several people with tastes very much stuck in the classical era, who struggled to enjoy the romantics and the likes of Mahler et al.

Well yes, I can see that. But that's more down to personal tastes than anything to do with age/generation, as tends to happen with pop music. 

I can't get much beyond 1975 when it comes to changing developments in pop. But I enjoy 'classical' (sic) music, right from the baroque up to the present day (leaning somewhat to early 20th Century). 

On 20/10/2023 at 23:01, sidcow said:

Yeah. People will rave about the 70s but you could make list upon list of terrible disco music, awful easy listening, dreary prog rock, droning singer songwriters. 

I’ve changed my mind, it's the 70s all the way. Disco, Easy Listening, Prog, singer / songwriters… Are we back in the 70s, all that shit is current again.

Â