Which was the best musical decade?

Pelle

Which was the best musical decade?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the best musical decade?

• 50's
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's

70s had a lot going on . We saw glam rock - T. Rex and Slade everyone. Then the birth of punk - the Clash, Ramones, Buzzcocks, Saints. These bands cultivated the land in which all music since has grown. 00s indie is fine, but there's only one place it came from.

New Order, Joy Division

Just curious but did \does the seemingly fascist overtones in the names they chose for their group(s) affect your feelings on listening \ purchasing their music ?

I know they have always denied it but prior to Joy Division they were called Warsaw ,s o there is a distinct pattern emerging .. deliberate or just to provoke controversy ?

New Order, Joy Division

Just curious but did \does the seemingly fascist overtones in the names they chose for their group(s) affect your feelings on listening \ purchasing their music ?

I know they have always denied it but prior to Joy Division they were called Warsaw ,s o there is a distinct pattern emerging .. deliberate or just to provoke controversy ?

To provoke a reaction in the media.

It kinda backfired on them though as lots of skinheads and nazis attended early Joy Division gigs. Fighting in the crowd was not unheard of, and constant "are Joy Division Nazis?" headlines written by student journalists in student newspapers never seemed to go away. Still, it got them noticed..

• 16 years later...
On 23/01/2007 at 15:38, mjmooney said:

Actually, punk was not so much a triple heart bypass as an emergency amputation with a rusty knife. It maybe saved the patient's life, but it left him scarred and crippled. 

I still stand by this rather good metaphor. 

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

60s if you came of age in the 60s

70s if you came of age in the 70s

80s if you came of age in the 80s

90s if you came of age in the 90s

60s, 70s, 80s & 90s if you came of age any later

I'm not that old :D I just like the string and horn arrangements!

• Like 1

On 23/01/2007 at 14:00, The_Rev said:

People will just vote for when they were young.

The question really is "what decade did you spend your late teens/early 20's in?"

My teenage years = 1967 to 1973. 

Maps on exactly to what I consider to be the Golden Age for popular music. 

So, teens, yes. By my early 20s I was starting to get disillusioned, and it only got worse as the 70s wore on. Culminating in the hellish nadir that was the 80s. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My teens were 83 to 89 and by Christ, I had to search around for music. Perhaps potentially why I moved drastically away from chart music. 

Which would kind of suggest that my favoured period actually was objectively superior to the 80s, and not just generation bias. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â