Which was the best musical decade?

Pelle

Which was the best musical decade?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the best musical decade?

• 50's
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • 00's

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I have long thought that there is a 'critical period' when people establish their taste in music, which begins with the onset of adolescence and possibly lasts about a decade, when it becomes more difficult to establish a taste for the new.

I've also noticed that this can be very much the case with people who are passionate about jazz or classical music.

It would be an interesting experiment to see whether people's choice as expressed by their votes, confirmed or refuted my belief.

Nah, my tastes change with the wind. I explore music, always have done. I listen to a bands influences, their influence's influences and back to what other artists have been influences by the same. There are whole periods of time and styles of music I come to much later than when it was current. I listen to new artists just emerging… 

Serious music fans will always do this I think. As much as I call the 80s the most creative decade for a variety of reasons following on from punk and the emergence of cheap synthesisers etc there's great music from most decades (except Liverpool in the 60s obvs :D )

I'm at home with 60s Garage / Psyche as I am with it current derivatives. The same with Post-punk. I'm still on a journey of discovery with “Krautrock”. There are styles of the reggae family I'm a huge fan of, there are other styles…  well not so much. Where does library music and soundtracks fit into this? Somewhere alongside that sits electronic ambient music. I’ve also got an interest in what could only be described music of the black consciousness movement, mainly the jazz stuff but again that isn’t the only Jazz I'll listen to. My musical awakening started I guess with punk and whereas I totally got he attitude, a lot of punk was shite but some of it was genuinely groundbreaking. The second generation of punk was particularly risible. Shore like Sham 69 and the Angelic Upstarts… garbage

Music doesn’t fit into decades nor does your taste if you keep your ears open. Some people settle into familiarity others are like explorers, always seeking out something different. I'm definitely the latter. 
I reckon the last 20 albums I’ve bought, range from to 60s to now in equal measure

Today for example I've played albums by Trees Speak (a modern take on German electronic music from the 70s), Kindof Blue by Miles Davis, a compilation of lounge music, The Liminanas (current French Psyche deeply rooted in the 13th floor elevators / Morricone / Gainsbourg), a 70s Dub compilation, an album by Julia Jacklin, another by Courtney Barnet and Radiohead too. A fairly typical Sunday

Your taste only fits into the box you try to put it in, people should get rid of the box

• Like 3

Â