Boston bombing

drat01

People are so desensitized to casualty numbers, anymore, that it hardly registers at timesbut that's a real guy who'll never walk on his legs again. What cause is worth doing that to people, on any scale, whether in single digits or by the millions?

The scale thing is absolutely true.  We are also more sympathetic to incidents in similar cultures/English speaking countries too.  I mean there were bombs in Baghdad today which killed 30+ people and not much was said.   It's just the way we are as human beings I guess. 

I think about it all the time. You have to be selective or you lose the ability to function. I strive to be aware of things on the global scale but to focus on the things I can control in my tiny, tiny sphere of influence.

But you're right, it hits closer to home when these things happen near you or in an area you can relate to. There was a shooting on Christmas Eve last year—it was reported on BBC—in which a man killed his sister, set fire to his home, and opened fire on the firemen and policemen who responded. That happened in my hometown and my friend's husband was one of the firemen who was killed. I have friends running this race in Boston. It does hit closer to home, for sure. Thankfully, all my friends are accounted for and okay.

My boss was running in this.

Haven't heard anything from him yet, but he's got a finishing time online so hopefully that means he wasn't around at the time. Scary though.

Tragic scenes regardless.

Bomb went off at 4 hours and 10 minutes if that's any help. 

Yeah he's quicker than that (his time is online as 2h 58) so I assume as long as he didn't hang around he'd be ok.

But the bomb going off at 4hrs 10 doesn't mean a lot. With 25000 people running, 4hrs and 10 minutes since the race started doesn't necessarily mean everyone finishing then has done it in 4 hrs

NY Post saying police are guarding a suspect in a hospital...

Again, the Post is a crap tabloid, so pinch of salt

Not a jihadi then.

**** hell, it's both legs, I didn't see that at first.

Terrible but at least he's alive and the damage is low so he'll walk again, truly incredible what they can do with prosthetics now after having 10 years of R & D and 1000's of squaddies coming back with similar injuries to practice on.

He wasn't walking before, either... looks like a wheelchair racer (unless they just used racing wheelchair to move him).

Â