Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Saw a rumour (almost certainly BS) that Chelsea are after Luke Shaw.

If that is the case they it would be great if we enquired about Betrand.

No doubt he'd cost a bit of money but would surely still meet the Lambert criteria !

Is anyone else slightly concerned that we don't seem to be placing much emphasis on actually improving the first team?

Of the players we've signed (and I'll include Helenius in that), it looks like Okore may be the only player who will immediately dislodge any of the first teamers. Neither Helenius nor Tonev will be an immediate improvement on Gabby, Benteke or Weimann (I assume), and it looks like Bacuna could be backup for any number of positions.

Our squad finished last season battling relegation, and unless we improve in a number of areas then I think we'll be facing another tough season. 

I am 100% in favour of the signings that we've made, but I really would like to see a bit of quality added to the team in the form of some kind of leader in the middle of the park.

We'll have to wait and see - as nobody knows if they will improve us.

It's not a case like before of signing "first team" and "back up" players... All the players we sign are in the mix for a starting place should they train well and play well in Pre season.... Apparently MOMS (My Old Man Said) reckon that we will end up with Jed Steer as a back up goalie but its now gone to a tribunal to decide the fee for him.

Wonder who will get the number 7, 9 and maybe even 10 shirts this season... (Take it Guzan will get the number 1 jersey once Given goes?)

Edited by Mattyp_avfc
  • Like 2

If they are good enough, they are old enough.

If Lambert wants to sign a young player to come in and start, I back him.

So nice to trust a manager!

Think of Sylla, came in during a relegation scrap, didn't speak the language and looked a steal!

• Like 1

Richard pointed out that Juky and August will be busy too, because we already signed 4 players, doesn't mean we won't sign 4-5 more.

How is he supposed to know?

Dunno. But it's a fair guess.

Because we signed 4 players already, doesn't mean we wont sign more.

And looking at it from a point of view that those 4 players equate to around a price we will get for Bent ( around 8 million ) plus his wage.

Means, there should be more players coming because we CAN afford them. We got ride of Dunne, Ireland and Given to come. 

I expect 2 more talented out of nowhere players, more stablished LB and a 'marquee' signing such as possible Belhanda or someone else.

That's the joy with this policy, our transfer wage budget will be low after releasing those high earners so we can allow ourselves to buy more young players. 

Edited by Alakagom

Unlike some of our previous managers Lambert has always picked his teams based on form. While Tonev, Helenius and Bacuna don't immediately look like players that will be featuring in the starting 11, there's no reason why they can't break into the team and make that spot their own.

Wow, being a Villa fan right now is great! Even those (fairly) not gushing in priase are only being cautious!

For me, I think PL knows who he wants and is going out and getting them whenever he can. Last season Ireland, Hutton, Warnock, Dunne, Makoun, Petrov, Delfouneso and to a lesser degree Given and Bent played no part in our squad, whilst the likes of KEA, Holman, Zog and Bannan had limited roles. Losing them does not affect the team; adding those we have already strengtens the team as it creates a baseline of performance that the current players cannot drop below without being dropped. This in itself will help.

Also, as has been pointed out by many, the likes of Westwood, Lowton, Guzan, Benteke, Weimann, Clark, Baker, Vlaar, Bennett and even Sylla now have the fabled premier league experience, and will be better for it. I do think that Bennett will improve vastly next season, as he has some more experience and (hopefully) will have a full pre-season behind him, which he didn't have last year because he was injured.

And remeber, our form in the last couple of month of last season was not relegation form - it was top 8 form. With additions, why should that not continue?

The 'news' today that Ireland is free to leave, whilst obviously not being news, shows that someone related tro the club is trying to shift him, and the others presumably. The club needs to keep an eye on finances, but Lerner clearly trusts Lambert, and the players who have left so far have freed up enough money to allow purchases to be made. I suspect that once (if) the likes of Bent, Ireland and Given have gone, plus a few others who are surplus to requirments, we will see more signings, probably with one or two 'marquee' signings in there.

I am so positive about the next few years right now, more than I have been since MON first joined. Top 10 for me already next season :cheers:

• Like 1

Nicely summarised. I agree with all of that and would like to add that the signings we are making bare fairly small risk as they are not expensive and not on high wages so if they turn out to be shite, they are young enough that someone else will want them so they wont sit and rot on the bench and wont be too much wasted in wages. If they turn out to be good then we have a decent player and if they turn out to be awesome then we probably lose them to a bigger club but make a shed load of money on them.

It's all good business sense from PL and I'm glad RL is behind him. I think our fans helped attract some of these players as well because it is a bonus selling point to a player to show how much support we get even when we are in the bottom 3 and losing!

Since PL came in we are like a new team. Good times.  :)

Am I only one who thinks we might have a bigger player to be revealed during the kit launch?

I think that if we sign a big name it will be in a few weeks time as the player will want to be sure he hasnt got other options. Also, these things usually seem to work out that you get a press conference to show off 4 or 5 low priced signings together then the big name gets a press conference of his own. Got nothing to back that up but thats the way I see it.