Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I'm delighted by the progress so far and we have a lot of reasons to be happy looking forward

But I'll play devils advocate a bit because all of this Villa fan optimism is making me uneasy (and there is a wee bit of truth to this): we have signed a bunch of unproven youngsters to go with our unproven youngsters who were craving some experience last season. We haven't ACTUALLY plugged the gap that we were all shouting and screaming about last season

But aren't the likes of lowton and Westwood experienced now? I'd argue we've added unproven players to proven PL players (everyone who played last year and came out of the season with their head held high)

I'm delighted by the progress so far and we have a lot of reasons to be happy looking forward

But I'll play devils advocate a bit because all of this Villa fan optimism is making me uneasy (and there is a wee bit of truth to this): we have signed a bunch of unproven youngsters to go with our unproven youngsters who were craving some experience last season. We haven't ACTUALLY plugged the gap that we were all shouting and screaming about last season

But aren't the likes of lowton and Westwood experienced now? I'd argue we've added unproven players to proven PL players (everyone who played last year and came out of the season with their head held high)

darn beat me to it - that was the crucial thing about us staying up. Our youngsters now have a year under the belt.

Edited by Morkery

Proven maybe but I wouldn't say they are experienced after one season. You still saw the team losing their heads and making silly mistakes up to the end of last season.

I'm definitely positive and excited about all this but I'm just saying, we adding are kids to a team of kids that so nearly got relegated! But I trust Lambert knows what he's doing

Edited by Spoony

If we went out and signed Murphy, Popov and Cresswell next week, I'd be chuffed.

Popov is not needed, believe me, as man from Russia )))

My version: Cresswell and Dries Mertens from PSV. And the team is ready for the season.

Really? Because everything else I've heard and seen of Popov screams untapped potential. To me anyway. Of all the players we've been linked with he and Okore have been the ones I've (realistically) wanted the most.

I think Mertens is a bit silly to be honest, way out if our "league".

We're actually getting to the point where we don't need too much else for fear of risking almost starting from scratch again next season. Get rid of Given and bring in a keeper. Sign up Benteke and maybe get some competition for Bennett and job's a good'un. #smokelambertakipper

We're actually getting to the point where we don't need too much else for fear of risking almost starting from scratch again next season. Get rid of Given and bring in a keeper. Sign up Benteke and maybe get some competition for Bennett and job's a good'un. #smokelambertakipper

Don't forget wee Helenius! I also wouldn't mind one big mega '**** you' signing to remind everyone that we ARE Villa, we DO belong in the Premier League and we CAN still throw our weight around a bit.

Don't forget wee Helenius! I also wouldn't mind one big mega '**** you' signing to remind everyone that we ARE Villa, we DO belong in the Premier League and we CAN still throw our weight around a bit.

That would be nice although I don't mind. I actually think Okore is quite the coup and clubs will have taken notice of that signing in particular.

This. I'd go even a little bit further and say that a year's experience staving off relegation, and being able to fight back after that horrendous post-Christmas period, probably added more steel to this group of unproven youngsters than a season of coasting at mid-table level would have done, seems like it might be worth two seasons' worth of experience to me. They have been through a sort of crucible together and it can only bring them all confidence for next season.

Now. It's been a few hours. When's the next transfer coming in, for God's sakes?

I'd like a LB, RB and GK. Wouldnt be against a top ACM signing, ideally Belhanda but more realistically Murphy

But then I feel like Bacuna, Tonev, Okore, Helenius, Cresswell, Cavanda, GK?, Murphy is asking too much.

Then I think with Given, Hutton, Dunne, Warnock, Lichaj, Petrov, Makoun, Dawkins, Ireland, Bent and potentially NZogbia, Bannan or Holman going too that somewhere around 8 coming in would be about right..

• Like 1