Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

wasnt holman a free? plus the fact hes on low wages would make sense to keep him as a rotation player, hes not actually that bad, always puts the work rate in and can play most positions

whats going out is certainly just as important as whats coming in, but i dont think we will get much for our deadwood...

Given - free due to age

Dunne - contract expiry

Hutton - £1m

Makoun - whatever is agreed

Bannan - £2m maybe

Ireland - £2m cut price to shift, this more than likely will happen on transfer deadline night

Petrov - retiring

Delfouneso - £1m

Bent - £8m

thats only around £16m, not alot to play with, although i personally would also like to throw in delph for the exit door for around £2m and keep bent

:blink:

I agree with this list,  I could also see Herd and El Ahmedi moved on,

Think we need to let Delph and Westwood bed in till the rest of the season, but i certainly wouldn't give up on Delph yet.

Don't think Delph will ever be anything more than yet another overhyped, overpriced english supertalent who fail to take the next step.

But as we have stuck with him through all the injuries we might as well give him another season to see if there is a player in him.

Even thou there have been some flashes of competence during the last few weeks in not yet convinced

• Like 1

Mate if the history of football has told us anything you can't pigeon hole players into positions due to their weight and height alone.

Would you say Javier Mascherano, Lassana Diarra, Lucas Leiva or Scott Parker are big in stature? They might be heavier than Delph but then it is very easy to bulk up players if the player wants to. Gabby is evidence of that.

To say that DM midfielders must be a certain weight or height to be successful in football is just talking bollocks. 

Javier Mascherano is beefcake. 74kg.

Lucas Leiva 74kg

Lassana Diarra 73kg.

Scott Parker 67kg.

Scott Parker is only one that gets close to Delph's 60kg and he must already be on "the limit" of physical attributes required by a midfield enforcer.

Sorry, on physical attributes alone Delph is not going to be an enforcer over anyone other than the Barry Bannans of the league (Bannan is also 60kg).

Flyweights won't cut it unless they have some skill.

Did we pay £8m for Delph - if so, why? Did we expect him to get bigger?

You've totally ignored the point to suit your debate. Lets put it another way. How many players in general have been overweight, or say stocky, but were still able to play upfront?

Parker is similar to Delph in weight and yet he has been deemed good enough to play for England in the DM position.

Did you expect Gabby to stay the same weight?

See how ridiculous your last statement about Delph is?

Young players going to different clubs don't always stay the same weight and don't always finish playing in the same positions they first started playing. They develop and change and Delph could very well become our DM with or without some added bulk. 

Edited by Morpheus

I've been impressed with Delph in his last few performances.  And his primary role isn't, never has been, and never will be to be the midfield 'enforcer'.

Very much this.

Disagree and after today's game i'm more convinced than ever that Delph in time could be our DM. 

We should be in a really decent position financially at the end of the season. We've got lots of expensive players to get rid of, the TV money, and hopefully some extra investment from the chairman.

We can see that Lambert is able to get some good players for good prices so hopefully we can add some real quality and kick on again next season.

defence needs a complete overhaul

lichaj has proved to not be very good, but then what do we do about a back up RB? ant rely on lowton for every game

with vlaar being injured most of the time, clark being average and baker needing rests, we need 2 CBs

bennett is showing promise at LB now but is still a very weedy player

i wonder if we will be linked to some of the defenders we have been in the last two windows like cavanda, ba or alderveild (sp?)

We should be in a really decent position financially at the end of the season. We've got lots of expensive players to get rid of, the TV money, and hopefully some extra investment from the chairman.

We can see that Lambert is able to get some good players for good prices so hopefully we can add some real quality and kick on again next season.

The TV money will go straight into Lerner's bank account. (to stay there)

"We've got lots of expensive players".... that are worth nothing now.

"some extra investment from the chairman"... Lerner is broke (in terms on Premier League chairmen)

Lerner needs to jog on or sell a big percentage of the club.   

defence needs a complete overhaul

lichaj has proved to not be very good, but then what do we do about a back up RB? ant rely on lowton for every game

with vlaar being injured most of the time, clark being average and baker needing rests, we need 2 CBs

bennett is showing promise at LB now but is still a very weedy player

i wonder if we will be linked to some of the defenders we have been in the last two windows like cavanda, ba or alderveild (sp?)

Alderweireld already said that a club like newcastle shouldn't bother, he wants to play for European spots. Fair to say we shouldn't mention him again as he doesn't want to join a team like us.

Cavanda lacks experience, but he could be a decent option for a backup to Lowton, who is now a decent PL-player (hasn't missed a game all season).

I'd prefer 1 very experienced CB over two so-so players. More CB's means less opportunities for Clark and Baker and we need these two to further develop. We don't need young potentials on those positions as we already have 2. 

The TV money will go straight into Lerner's bank account. (to stay there)

"We've got lots of expensive players".... that are worth nothing now.

"some extra investment from the chairman"... Lerner is broke (in terms on Premier League chairmen)

Lerner needs to jog on or sell a big percentage of the club.   

The TV money will mostly be used to pay back debts to Lerner.

The expensive players bit was in relation to their wages, so freeing up a lot of wages will allow us room to negotiate for better quality players.

Lerner is by no means broke, but he shouldn't keep bankrolling the club when it showed no signs of being self-sustaining. However I'm sure that as Lambert has shown he can get value for money then he will be trusted with funds.

The Sun reckons we are interested in Crewes Luke Murphy.

Really decent player. Crewe rated him higher than westy which I think says a lot.

Well that depends on how high you rate westwood in the first place.

not seen a lot of him but he got a fine goal vs Southend at Wembley lsat week. 

could be a lazy link as think read him and Westwood are good friends

Any player who can score against mighty southend SHOULD be on villas radar.